Short Commute Charging Cellink Battery

CFLip2x

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have done some searching on the forums and reddit and though why not make a post.

I no longer have a 1hr+ commute and I wanted to see some options for charing my Cellink battery so that I have full parking mode.
Currently the battery is hardwired and se to 7A charing.
I would like to get a tx60 splitter so that I can have the wired charging as well as the 12v connector. I also plan on lowering the charging to 5A.
When I arrive home I would plug the 12v into my wall adapter (that is properly rated for charing). This would all be in a garage.

My concern is would the way this is wired cause an issue with my cars electrical system.

Im sure that better answer would be to just switch the connector each time though I would like to try this for a cleaner look. Maybe even put a weather proof box under the hood or easily accessable connector simsilar to a trickle charger.

Welcome to the forumCFLip2x.

I am not personally familiar with running a dedicated dashcam power pack, but i would assume you can make something along the lines you mention work.
As i understand the charger for the LIfepo batteries are inside the power pack itself, so if that is connected to a always on fuse i cant see why adding a outside 12 V source to the cars 12 V would be a problem, unless you wire it wrong and make the circuit 24 volts with your outside source.

I think some dashcam power packs connected to a always on circuit, well to prevent the power pack from charging from your car battery when stopped ( which would of course be bad ) the power pack only charge when you have +13 volts on the batteri, like when the car is running.
So in that case i would assume just putting a trickle charger on the car battery would enable the power pack to charge off that, though i am not sure if a car charger lower its voltage for trickle charging. ( i asume you could test this putting a charger on your car battery if your power pack are on a always on circuit, as i once again assume the power pack would have a LED that indicate when it is charging )

To make sure you do not feed anything " backwards" into the cars circuit, i assume you could put on a diode to prevent that from happening.

I am assuming here, and really only have basic electronics knowledge to flex, so best to be damn sure before you proceed.

I have the same issue, I am not sure if I have mentioned this in another thread.

Currently at the moment I have my cellink loose and if I am going to be parked up somewhere I will bring it in to charge the night before.
I am using a rowpow 12 adapter that I plug into the mains to charge

I have thought about doing exactly what you suggest, maybe a splitter combined with a toggle switch would mean the cellink is only ever connected to the car or the wall adapter?

Also would be interesting with what @kamkar said, I know that my cellink (when hardwired to the car) would only charge if the engine was running (rather than the ignition switched on). Probably because the cellink wants to see ~14v before it starts charging.

Back