Should i get a Dashcam or car DVR system like police?

Mia Melody

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i just visited a friend of mine who works for police in france, he showed me cameras in one of their police cars and they have cars equipped with DVR black boxes equipped with 6 camera front, back, right left and top front back, they record at 2k to a 2 tb drive, they use GPS mapping, you can log into the dvr to use it as a GPS map too via co pilot or tomtom and it will record crumbs of where you where, PRIVATELY, the boxes also have wifi and and 4G LTE options to view and stream within the department directly from their cars.

i looked up the similar systems and they range between 100 to 450 dollars depending if you want wifi and type of cameras and lenses, there are companies providing these systems for buses and other sort of services but they are ripping of everyone charging thousands while the same system can be assembled before out from Chinese companies who are the original manufactures to begin with,

as for me i use
= 2 GW1 C (1 capacitor version and the otehr just died) in our car...
= a mobius C wide lens in our motorhome both as a dash and while parked with motion detection.
as well as a reverse parking huge mirror wireless camera

However i want to replace the rv cameras with multiple cameras, i would also like a parking sensor rig and those DVRs have all that built in, the DVRS with wifi, 3G-4GLTE, 2TB HD, GPS crumb recording, and motion sensors for parking using the reversal camera or not., ofcourse the versions with all run between $350 to $450 or more,here is one example, yet on ebay you can find them half the price.
http://www.mobilevehicledvr.com/sal...-camera-car-dvr-3g-gps-monitoring-system.html

The unit you linked to only records in D1 resolution (720x576) - (420 or 480 TV lines per camera) which is an obsolete analogue CCTV format and completely unsuitable for a dash camera system.

Last edited:
Police DVR systems cost 5-10K € depending on specs.

The unit you linked to only records in D1 resolution (720x576) - (420 or 480 TV lines per camera) which is an obsolete analogue CCTV format and completely unsuitable for a dash camera system.
there are HD formats and their prices are at par with some of the dashcams suggested here which make no sense,
You can get dashcams under 100 bucks with gps, wifi, HD video to SD cards running of capacitors or batteries including portable usb batteries to not drain the car or directly connected via a 12-24 volt cig adapter.

and by the way police pay more for their units, its covered by tax paers, even the military claim a spoon costs $45

Back