Should I get a Dashcam?

chexus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in New York City and I have no garage/parking spot. My car gets driven less than 10 miles during the entire week and more on the weekends. Sometimes my car is left parked for 48 hours+. I just purchased the blackvue dr650gw-2ch with the magic power pro. After reading more on the forums, the parking mode for the blackvue wouldn't really do me any good since I don't drive enough for the camera to fully charge to be able to record 10+ hours. In addition, the magic power pro wouldn't do any good in cold weather too. In my case, is it still advisable to get a dashcam that's able to record during parking mode or should I just get a cheaper dashcam that only runs when I use the car?

There's a few battery kits (think like phone power banks, but 12v) that can be hardwired, so they'll keep charging using your cars battery until voltage gets too low.

They're not cheap at almost $150 for some though.

The PMP should keep your cam powered on for 48 hours if you have a good battery. Mine runs mine for about 3 days before it shuts off. I dont use the parking mode, I just let it record full time.

Cool, good to know. I'll keep the blackvue and pmp. What voltage did you set it to? Do you live in an area with cold conditions?

I set my voltage to 12 in the summer and 12.4 in the winter...it commonly gets in the teens and lower here in NC. No issues with mine so far. Let it run and you'll be able to see how long it stays on by checking the last video to see what time it cuts off.

Daleg, what device do you use? I don't see the 12.4 option in the power magic pro.

Your right....I didn't clarify....I actually use the Lukas lk-350 power management device. I was being generic as pmp will work with any cam, sorry for the confusion. Either way, I get about 3 days before it shuts down. I'd have to hunt down the manual for the exact settings on the 350. I'm thinking mine is set at 12.4 but I'm happy to take a look later and confirm for you if you need...I might have it set higher...its been a while since I set it up. If you have a good car battery and depending on your cam setup, number of cameras, you should not have a problem with 2 days of run time.... I run 2 cameras, Lukas 7900 front and back. I do prefer hardwiring over a battery pack or having to plug in. The power management system, no matter what brand , makes everything pretty hassle free.

Back