Should VIOFO Introduce Built-In Cloud LTE Across Full Line Of Dash Cams?

Also I keep thinking should I change from VIOFO to Blackvue or are they all as good as each oher.
Based on my limited experience I think comparing Viofo to BlackVue is a lopsided comparison, (apple & oranges).
When I think of BlackVue, I think of premium top of the line $500 Korean made dash cams.
When I think of Viofo, I think of $100 1-channel & $250 2-channel "budget" Chinese made dash cams with very good image quality by pushing the limits of the processor, bitrate, image sensors, lens, etc.
-Chuck

lol... I think Viofo has been doing a good job at targeting the "bang for the buck" niche. That said, if they're gonna focus on something, I'd like to see improvements to reliability to ensure that their dashcams work consistently and in a variety of situations. Cloud stuff is great, but IMO that's just bonus. They're been adding stuff like buffered parking recording at a low pricepoint which is pretty awesome and I think if they keep focusing on the fundamentals, that's key. Assuming that is handled, I guess they could experiment with cloud stuff and whatnot, sure you can try new things.

That said, it also sounds like they're experimenting with telephoto options for us too and personally I'm more excited about that than them playing around with cloud stuff.

Spoken like a true diplomat, and ambassador of the dash cam industry.
I agree. lol
But I still hope they leave the cloud stuff alone until they have "perfected" the basics of reliability, durability, and overheating issues.

Vortex compared the 4K cameras ( IMX 415 sensor ) and as i recall he found the Viofo to edge out the BV abd TW cameras on image quality.

Spoken like a true diplomat, and ambassador of the dash cam industry.
I agree. lol
But I still hope they leave the cloud stuff alone until they have "perfected" the basics of reliability, durability, and overheating issues.
lol... yeah as much as I like to encourage trying new things and pushing the envelope, with dashcams there's something to be said about reliability. Who cares about cloud features, 8K60HDR, 1 month of parking recording, or whatever else if the dashcam fails and doesn't record?

(This isn't aimed at Viofo. It's just in general.)

Vortex compared the 4K cameras ( IMX 415 sensor ) and as i recall he found the Viofo to edge out the BV abd TW cameras on image quality.
Yeah. I'm gonna start working on the A139 Pro now, despite being a bit late to the party, lol. That said, Blackvue announced a new DR970X and Thinkware is working on a U1000 successor with improved video quality too so things are about to get interesting... :)

lol... yeah as much as I like to encourage trying new things and pushing the envelope, with dashcams there's something to be said about reliability. Who cares about cloud features, 8K60HDR, 1 month of parking recording, or whatever else if the dashcam fails and doesn't record?

(This isn't aimed at Viofo. It's just in general.)
This is absolutely correct.
But at some point, a company has to jump the barrier for the next innovation. Just relying on the things you already got won't make you competitive for the future

I'm gonna start working on the A139 Pro now
Check out Ben from Safe Drive Solutions.
He did a really good "tunnel test" with the A139 Pro to show the HDR capability.
I think the video is awesome.
I would have loved to do that, but I don't have any tunnels close by.
That's why I did the flashlight thing.
Oh yeah, check out my first "split screen edit" lol

For reliability getting the temperature down on the main processor board and memory card would be my first goal. That's why I'm intrigued by the BlackVue DR770X Box dash camera. It's basically a repackaged DR750X-3CH Plus. I like the idea of moving the main unit (processor, microSD card) off of the windshield to a location not in the direct sun. The DR770X Box currently is a 1080p 60fps front and 1080p 30fps rear/interior dash camera, but if that could be bumped up to 2K and 4K for the front camera, that would be something (IMO).

I am a huge fan still of the concept of remote main unit, now if only the people doing that route would also take advantage of the fact that the unit no longer have to be small, and so can actually pack a proper kick ass cooling solution.
But so far the 2 systems i have tested the K2S and the SG9663DR, both have these silly small main units that i think are more or less aimed at the motorcycle cameras where it would indeed make sense.

I am thinking maybe use a case meant for rasberry pi computers or something similar, NUC / whatever, no need to design and make your own case here, rip something off a shelf and if needed modify it a little to serve your ned, and done.

I am a huge fan still of the concept of remote main unit, now if only the people doing that route would also take advantage of the fact that the unit no longer have to be small, and so can actually pack a proper kick ass cooling solution.
But so far the 2 systems i have tested the K2S and the SG9663DR, both have these silly small main units that i think are more or less aimed at the motorcycle cameras where it would indeed make sense.
I liked some things about the SG9663DR, but finding somewhere to put the main unit that was out of sunlight, out of the way, yet still accessible enough to remove the memory card was a bit of a challenge. The multi-function remote button was great as an 'I'm alive and recording' indicator, turning WiFi on/off, and switching off the camera when I parked on the driveway.

My SG9663DR spent most of the time dangling over the transmission tunnel that there somehow still are in my FWD car.
The K2S have been "under" the driver seat

Originally my plan was to put the main unit on the back of the plastic glove box, but that give 1 problem, a not so solid install and so harder to pick up G- sensor events, TBH i think a external G-sensor might be best for remote cameras.

Sorry if my clickbait thread title raised your blood pressure. I hope @Mtz doesn’t read this after his morning double espresso. lol

POLL FOR VIOFO USERS:
Should VIOFO implement built-in Cloud LTE recording, and live streaming capability across their full line of dash cams?

A.) Yes. Give the people what they want, (who cares if it works).
B.) No. They should only focus on image quality & reliability.
C.) No. This will double the cost of their “budget” dash cams.
D.) No. They should keep their dash cams simple as possible, (KISS) with the least amount of system complexity.
E.) Are you out of your mind? They can’t even get their existing features & functions to operate properly.
F.) Are you crazy? They can’t even get the GPS Module built-in the main housing.
G.) No. If you think their dash cams overheat now, just wait until they get even hotter.
H.) No. Look at all the complaints & issues from current Cloud dash cam users.
I.) No. I don’t trust Ring, Alexa, Google, Apple, etc. with privacy data breaches. How could I trust a Chinese Data Server with my dash cam audio/video footage?
J.) Add you own concern.
Not sorry. Reported.

I know this is old, but cloud services are better. Who wants a ring door bell camera if you have to be home to answer it. And cloud options would allow you to use your own hotspot and your own data plans you may or may not have in place. Use your phone or use a spare phone with data. I would rather know now that my car was hit than 2 to 10 hours later. You can still use cloud services for storage which I do not use, but can be set to upload events if need be. If I get an alert I can quickly view my camera. As long as there is internet in the area for my hotspot.(T-Mobile)

FWIW, I'm a SEMA now and this year I'm seeing a bunch of companies adding cloud functionality. Some are relying on external WiFi hotspots while others are integrating LTE within the dashcam itself. It seems to be a natural evolution as dashcams continue to add features to stay competitive.

I know this is old, but cloud services are better. Who wants a ring door bell camera if you have to be home to answer it. And cloud options would allow you to use your own hotspot and your own data plans you may or may not have in place. Use your phone or use a spare phone with data. I would rather know now that my car was hit than 2 to 10 hours later. You can still use cloud services for storage which I do not use, but can be set to upload events if need be. If I get an alert I can quickly view my camera. As long as there is internet in the area for my hotspot.(T-Mobile)

I don't want a Ring Door Bell Camera, or any device that hooks to a device vendors cloud. Ring, Amazon, Tesla, and many others have previously had employees caught viewing private video.

If the LTE hooks into a cloud of my choosing, then I will go for it, otherwise I would not.

I don't want a Ring Door Bell Camera, or any device that hooks to a device vendors cloud. Ring, Amazon, Tesla, and many others have previously had employees caught viewing private video.

If the LTE hooks into a cloud of my choosing, then I will go for it, otherwise I would not.
That means you don't want a mobile phone, computer, tablet, smart watch, wifi, wireless router or any other brand of technology my friend. As they are ALL accessible by someone. And that includes Iphone and Icloud as we found that out when they unlocked that guys Icloud account and phone for the FBI when they said they couldn't.

As to the ring and so on comment. I have that strictly for when packages show up at my house. So I know they are there. These people just throw stuff on your porch and take off fast. All without ringing your doorbell.

And no one said you had to use their cloud base storage my friend and you can continue to download your videos once you get home. You are only using the mobile (But everyone calls it cloud services or the cloud) network to view what is stored on the dash camera or live view from the dash cam, not from a cloud account stored on the internet. I hope this makes sense.

FWIW, I'm a SEMA now and this year I'm seeing a bunch of companies adding cloud functionality. Some are relying on external WiFi hotspots while others are integrating LTE within the dashcam itself. It seems to be a natural evolution as dashcams continue to add features to stay competitive.
I almost went, but didn't register in time so decided to stay home, but will be out there for CES in January though.

Did you see any worth investigating?

I almost went, but didn't register in time so decided to stay home, but will be out there for CES in January though.

Did you see any worth investigating?
Oh fun. A number of those companies will be there too. I shot a compilation of all the different dashcam companies I saw and what was most interesting with each one. That should hopefully go live next week.

The main trends I saw were things like more companies doing radar, AI (some real and some marketing fluff), and more with cloud features (though who knows how good it is).

That means you don't want a mobile phone, computer, tablet, smart watch, wifi, wireless router or any other brand of technology my friend. As they are ALL accessible by someone. And that includes Iphone and Icloud as we found that out when they unlocked that guys Icloud account and phone for the FBI when they said they couldn't.

As to the ring and so on comment. I have that strictly for when packages show up at my house. So I know they are there. These people just throw stuff on your porch and take off fast. All without ringing your doorbell.

And no one said you had to use their cloud base storage my friend and you can continue to download your videos once you get home. You are only using the mobile (But everyone calls it cloud services or the cloud) network to view what is stored on the dash camera or live view from the dash cam, not from a cloud account stored on the internet. I hope this makes sense.

Lets be clear...I am not your friend. The examples you give are nonsense and do not compare to the Ring and the abuse and lack of security these house hold items cause.

They should just do it, or open source the firmware and let us do it.
It would need to record lower quality copies of videos for sending.
But no company makes any sense so we'll see.

Back