Should VIOFO Introduce Built-In Cloud LTE Across Full Line Of Dash Cams?

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
Sorry if my clickbait thread title raised your blood pressure. I hope @Mtz doesn’t read this after his morning double espresso. lol

POLL FOR VIOFO USERS:
Should VIOFO implement built-in Cloud LTE recording, and live streaming capability across their full line of dash cams?

A.) Yes. Give the people what they want, (who cares if it works).
B.) No. They should only focus on image quality & reliability.
C.) No. This will double the cost of their “budget” dash cams.
D.) No. They should keep their dash cams simple as possible, (KISS) with the least amount of system complexity.
E.) Are you out of your mind? They can’t even get their existing features & functions to operate properly.
F.) Are you crazy? They can’t even get the GPS Module built-in the main housing.
G.) No. If you think their dash cams overheat now, just wait until they get even hotter.
H.) No. Look at all the complaints & issues from current Cloud dash cam users.
I.) No. I don’t trust Ring, Alexa, Google, Apple, etc. with privacy data breaches. How could I trust a Chinese Data Server with my dash cam audio/video footage?
J.) Add you own concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn.. Got clickbaited - checked Viofo website asap and thought I missed something lol
Just typing the thread title made my stomach turn. lol
I hope it never becomes reality.

6 years ago maybe, i have borrowed a car from a friend with a mirror type dashcam.
When i was driving, a voice asked me: "what's up, mate?!" It was my friend. That really scared me but also i liked the idea.
It was a 100 $ no name LTE dashcam.
So, 6 years a go, 100 $.

I don't think it will double the price. And i think it's a very nice feature for best surveilance.

B, H, I

Personally, I'm not in favour of adding this as a built-in feature. Now, if they were to add an optional plug-in LTE dongle (like the BlackVue CM100LTE) that could work with a number of different dashcam models that may be a desirable premium feature for some users. Inevitably it would complicate the firmware, but it would allow Viofo to continue producing good value for money dashcams, yet perhaps cater for the additional wishes of a small percentage of their customers.

I would definitely appreciate remote viewing.
Many people that asked me about dashcams IRL, asked me:
-if they can be viewed from the phone if you are away from the car.
-if you get a notification if something happens.

The request from users is obviously there.
However it would only make sense if it's implemented in a good way.
Should be easy to setup and use. The costs of the service is another important thing.

Should be easy to setup and use. The costs of the service is another important thing.
It should work with any prepaid sim card in any network, just like a very simple phone. 4G should be more than enough

B
D
I
J - I neither need nor want it so why should I pay for it? Stick to what a dash cam is supposed to do and that's reliably recording while driving. Dash cams are not, and never will be, security monitoring devices.

It should work with any prepaid sim card in any network, just like a very simple phone. 4G should be more than enough
I wasn't talking about the SIM card costs.
I was more talking about the costs from the dashcam manufacturer to host the service.
Blackvue for example has different plans for their cloud services.

I am B - H - I too.
If cloud, well it should only be event storage and only saved for X days / weeks, as storing everything there will be next to impossible, or at least expensive with the amount of data most generate.
I would not like to pay for a monthly cloud plan, but a free limited storage of events i think are possible.

Sadly i think times will force viofo this way as smart cameras are requested more and more.
I do think if Viofo could focus on users backing up there storage at home over their own wifi, that will be a better place to start. ( maybe a remote Wifi antenna for the car so reach / speed are better )
It would be nice if the viofo player had this connect remote to camera build in to it.

Ok, i have missed that "cloud" part. I think it can be done without cloud. Just to check your car if you don't own a house and you live in a large building with apartments. Like an ip camera but with internet provided by sim card.

B. D. H. I.

J. - Personally, this idea doesn't appeal to me but I could see the possibility of offering a separate module that would work across the product line. Just the way Viofo already sells or incudes separate optional GPS modules that the user can attach between the camera and the windshield (or not), there could be an optional Cloud module that a user could purchase that would include both GPS and LTE functionality.

Some of this play well into my long time idea og using a remote head unit, a unit you could then daisy chain other modules off, so this could be additional down the side cameras, a LTE modem for cloud stuff, a alarm and what ever you can think off.
So my idea would be say you have the basic 2 chan model, but then add the side camera expansion, now the encoding ASO of this would of course be handled in that unit too, it would just need the daisy chain to sync with the front and rear cameras, and of course send the end result footage to the SSD / Nvme drive there.

If they made the firmware open, I would think of one us would code a cloud service for them.

Also I keep thinking should I change from VIOFO to Blackvue or are they all as good as each oher.

I dont see much use for the cloud stuff.
BUT ! i am yet to try my first smart camera, maybe i am just BSing myself.
BUT ( again ) to be honest i dont think so, the things that pull in people in their milliions / billions, like social media ASO, well i do not do those things in general.

No one ever send me a smart camera, so i had to reach out to kickstarter, and then pray.

lol... I think Viofo has been doing a good job at targeting the "bang for the buck" niche. That said, if they're gonna focus on something, I'd like to see improvements to reliability to ensure that their dashcams work consistently and in a variety of situations. Cloud stuff is great, but IMO that's just bonus. They're been adding stuff like buffered parking recording at a low pricepoint which is pretty awesome and I think if they keep focusing on the fundamentals, that's key. Assuming that is handled, I guess they could experiment with cloud stuff and whatnot, sure you can try new things.

That said, it also sounds like they're experimenting with telephoto options for us too and personally I'm more excited about that than them playing around with cloud stuff.

Perhaps a compromise could be Blackvue's feature of audibly notifying you of the number of G-Force events when you return to your car after parking mode.
I really think this could be implemented quite easily with a counter either in non-volatile memory or the SD card, and some short audio recordings.

Perhaps a compromise could be Blackvue's feature of audibly notifying you of the number of G-Force events when you return to your car after parking mode.
I really think this could be implemented quite easily with a counter either in non-volatile memory or the SD card, and some short audio recordings.
I was thinking about this too.
It would be a nice feature.

Back