Shuts down while driving

I am having similar problems - shuts down while driving.
I am not convinced that it is a power connection problem.

Power is going directly to the dashcam, not via the GPS/mount.
With the original 16G Class 10 card, it worked fine for a while, then started shutting down.

I thought it may be due to the card, so bought a 32GB Sandisk Class 6 card.
This had worked fine, for a while. Then it shut down.

I can re-start by pressing the on button on the side.
Starts up and runs ... for EXACTLY three minutes, which surprise, surprise, is the period I have set it to roll.
Stops - press button - starts - rund for three minutes - shuts down. Repeatably.

Looks to me like a FW problem when the card fills.

I have just re-formatted the card and set the roll to the default one minute.
We will see what happens when the card re-fills.

I am guessing that it may be ok, that it was only ever tested fully with default values?

So it's not shutting down, but stopping recording after a period of time which you state coincided with the loop time you have set.

I assume you have tried doing a full reset by holding down the on/off for 20secs or so.

Who supplied your camera ? And which model is it ? (ie. GPS only ? or GPS + 8gb or Std). What firmware is currently installed ?

You say you don't think it's the power connector..why do you think that, are you basing that on the fact the camera remains still powered up when it stops recording? If so...I respectfully suggest you don't underestimate the weird symptoms the connections on these cameras can cause, especially typical is stopping recording for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying its causing your problem especially as you are connected directly to the camera, but based on my own experiences they can cause problems. Have you tried other cables? I have several USB to mini B USB cables and most work okay, but one which works fine with other devices does not work properly with this camera, the camera powers up but never goes into record mode with that particular cable..no idea why, but there's something different about that one cable it doesn't like, it's a decent Belkin make too.

You say it worked okay previously for a while at default settings, (how long is while ?) which would suggest the firmware is likely okay at default settings, TBH I only use default settings except for the screen off time which I prefer to go off almost immediately.
One cannot rule out anything with these particular camera's...lol. I would certainly try other cards if you haven't done so just so it can be eliminated from the culprit list.

Last edited:
Just shut down again. Still had 14.3 GB open on a 32GB Samsung card. Looking at the video, I see that when I left this morning it recorded my drive to the mall, but the GPS quit recording about 2 minutes before I stopped and shut down. Even though the tones came on, nothing was recorded on my trip home. The GPS shutdown came at the end of a 5 minute segment (I have it set for 5 min segments).

Last edited:
I have tested my camera It shuts down after a short while with the Class 10 card, Try running it Muted e.g. sound off then restart the car and try it. you should find it works fine. Tap the up button to turn it off, when you have started the car then hit up to turn the mic back on and it should continue to record, but you have to remember to turn the mic off before you turn the ignition off otherwise it will stop recording after about 30 seconds then wait until the 1 minute shut off time and turn itself off.
Hope you understand this.

I am going to see if I can digout the class 6 card from somewhere and test it with that.

So it's not shutting down, but stopping recording after a period of time which you state coincided with the loop time you have set.

I assume you have tried doing a full reset by holding down the on/off for 20secs or so.

Who supplied your camera ? And which model is it ? (ie. GPS only ? or GPS + 8gb or Std). What firmware is currently installed ?

You say you don't think it's the power connector..why do you think that, are you basing that on the fact the camera remains still powered up when it stops recording? If so...I respectfully suggest you don't underestimate the weird symptoms the connections on these cameras can cause, especially typical is stopping recording for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying its causing your problem especially as you are connected directly to the camera, but based on my own experiences they can cause problems. Have you tried other cables? I have several USB to mini B USB cables and most work okay, but one which works fine with other devices does not work properly with this camera, the camera powers up but never goes into record mode with that particular cable..no idea why, but there's something different about that one cable it doesn't like, it's a decent Belkin make too.

You say it worked okay previously for a while at default settings, (how long is while ?) which would suggest the firmware is likely okay at default settings, TBH I only use default settings except for the screen off time which I prefer to go off almost immediately.
One cannot rule out anything with these particular camera's...lol. I would certainly try other cards if you haven't done so just so it can be eliminated from the culprit list.

The camera was supplied by GIVOE. No internal storage, with GPS.
Firmware: 20130903

After re-formatting the card, it has behaved for several days.
There is now 12.01GB free space left, and it shut down again.
The interesting thing is that if I re-start it, it now runs for about 1 minute (remember I went back to the default 1 minute loop), then shuts down again.

However, while it is running, it is NOT recording anything.
I thought at first that it was somehow having problems when the card filled, but it dosn't look that way.

Why do I think its not the power connection?
Well, because it runs fine for days, then, it starts shutting down, and will do so predictably every (loop - minutes) - I can't see a power connection problem being quite that predictable.

:(I have had similar problems, no matter which SD card, etc. I am going to return mine.

:(I have had similar problems, no matter which SD card, etc. I am going to return mine.

Sorry to hear this, there is no doubt it does seem a little pot luck if one receives a reliable one or one plagued with issues. :-( Fortunately there are many other choices out there that do work reliably, My Mio 368 is ultra reliable, unlike one of my 0801 cams, although my other 2 are still working fine after 11 weeks use.

Same exact issue here with the firmware 20131026. Recording Video only (not audio) works.
I contacted Demi M (E-Prance) via this forum. She did ask me more questions. We will see if she comes up with an update from factory.

Same exact issue here with the firmware 20131026. Recording Video only (not audio) works.
I contacted Demi M (E-Prance) via this forum. She did ask me more questions. We will see if she comes up with an update from factory.

If you are successful in obtaining a later firmware than 1026 for your GPS only camera, could you please post a link to it so we can all benefit, but specify clearly what model it's for. It just saves me going cap in hand again to my dear friend at E-Prance every time I hear there's a updated firmware, if she says there is a updated version but reluctant to forward it, let me know I will try and obtain it.

I have a sneaky feeling however, that future updates will continue to lower the recording bitrate even lower, and lower, until it becomes stable, and in view of the fact that the 2 in my car have been stable since firmware 0913 at 17200kbps I don't have the incentive to degrade the image when it's working fine for me. ;-) Though it would be good for those with issues to have a stable version, if indeed its possible, as hardware differences have to come into the equation too.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the 32GB card with a 4GB one I had on hand...probably from a camera or phone...and it's been working fine with 3 minute recording and the audio on. I think I'll move up to an 8 or 16 and see if they work.

I set the recording mode to 720p. Since then I have had no problems.

My guess is that the hardware really isn't up to 1080p.

I somehow doubt that any firmware update is going to fix this, unless they reduce the bit rate significantly.

Back