Side window mounting the SG9665GC

Dan Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a SG9665GC to replace my current driver's side-facing camera, which is mounted via the standard suction cup to the back seat door window.

However, I made the realization that since the SG9665GC is designed for a sloping window mount, the camera lens cannot be tilted up far enough when mounted in the near-vertical orientation.

Does anyone know of a method to mount the SG9665GC this way? I need either some type of 5 to 8 degree wedge, or a way to use a more typical suction cup mount. I can make something myself, but I was curious if there was something ready-made for this.

Last edited:
Did you see two mounting pads in your box? one thin and other is thicker. Did you try thicker one?

Try to use supplied accessories thick mount, this going to allow you to mount on nealy 90 degree vertical windshield.

Yes I have the thicker mounts/shim pads, but they aren't big enough. Even with the lens tilted up to its last 'click', there is a roughly 3/4" gap that needs to be filled between the top of the unit and the glass surface. A large wedge-shaped spacer would be needed to mount it directly on the glass, with the wide end of the wedge 3/4" thick.

Here's a picture with some lines I drew to show the gap. The lens doesn't tilt any higher than this. If I were to mount the unit flush with the glass, the lens would point down toward the ground even at its highest 'click'.

Attachments

• sg1.jpg
    sg1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 39
With the thicker mount, the lens is still pointing about one "click" position too far downward. If I could tilt the lens up one more notch it would be OK, but it's as high as it will go.

OK, I managed to get an acceptable mount at the very top of the window where the angle is slightly less than near the bottom. I was originally hoping to mount the unit lower on the rear door quarter glass, to avoid the potential of popping the mount loose by accidentally rolling down the rear window. However, the quarter glass' angle is too vertical for that.

That being said, all's well now.

Back