SJ7 Warped and Deformed

We are waiting for all issues to be fixed before sending replacement/ review units.

The faceplate material will be upgraded and possibly more ventilation holes. We are also checking into several other things such as firmware as well. Again, out of maybe 30k units sold, Teri's report was only the second one. So, hopefully, it was just a case of a bad component/powerbank+battery under the sun....

We are getting there guys. Thanks for you help and patience.
Looking forward to the test being repeated with the updated model, hopefully with nothing to see on the timelapse ;)

I hope it will still be useable as a 4K dashcam in normal temperatures, Gopros in 4K mode tend to shut down when they get a little warm so are not much use as 4K dashcams, the SJ7 was giving some nice 4K dashcam footage before the summer temperatures started to arrive.

I am not quite sure if i dare to do another heat test in my living room window sill on a sunny with my black Sj7, this far i had plenty of unlucky experiences with sjcam products ( the nice SJ6 Legend that drowned :( )

So i am afraid this will just be playing with fire.

No one mentioned one thing that might have been the cause of the warping. In fact, I'd even say this WAS the cause: UV radiation. I'm sure every one of you are acquainted with what it does to cars' paint, bumpers, dashboards, or our skin. ;)

In fact, I'd even say this WAS the cause: UV radiation

Nope.. Windscreens (Laminated) effectively blocks UV-A and B. Unless his windscreen was from the 1930's

Plain automotive glass (side windows) also blocks UV light but not as well as laminated glass. Thats where tints come in...

Last edited:
And that's why you often see truckers having the left arm be more tanned than the right one, or vise versa for UK & AU truckers.

Nah!
Driver's window open and forearm on the sill, like in the sun farmers!!
And what if the coloring agent in the plastic changes the heat resistance of the composite?

Have you considered a battery bypass? When the camera is connected to an external power source for charging the battery, if you turn the camera on it would cause the circuit to bypass the battery. Sorry I don't know enough about hardware, circuits, firmware, etc., to know if this is feasible.

I just received an e-mail from SJCam about this issue. It turns out that there was a problem with a few units during assembly. There was a screw touching another part that caused the unit to overheat. That connection should be soldered. They're upgrading the assembly and QC process. They'll also be upgrading the faceplate material.

Credit where credit is due, SJCam took the time to look into this issue, uncovered the problem and took corrective action.:)

I just received an e-mail from SJCam about this issue. It turns out that there was a problem with a few units during assembly. There was a screw touching another part that caused the unit to overheat. That connection should be soldered. They're upgrading the assembly and QC process. They'll also be upgrading the faceplate material.

Credit where credit is due, SJCam took the time to look into this issue, uncovered the problem and took corrective action.:)
happy to hear there is a happy ending to all of this :)))

Back