SJCam M10 as a dashcam

ok, voltages will be fine then, you may not be able to run it without a battery though, most models don't support this so it's not unexpected really

Great. Thank you. Also if i am constantly powering the m10 would the battery life decrease? And is is there a way for the device to automatically turn off when i turn the engine off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

constantly powering it will have some impact on the battery, not sure if there is any function to turn it off when external power is cut, it would need to be done in firmware

Great. Thank you. Also if i am constantly powering the m10 would the battery life decrease? And is is there a way for the device to automatically turn off when i turn the engine off?

Try select "Car mode" for the device to automatically turn off when i turn the engine off.

And is is there a way for the device to automatically turn off when i turn the engine off?
You're not using it in dashcam mode, that's why it doesn't work without the battery. I don't own a M10 but @Pavle stated in his review that it can be used as a dashcam without the battery and I have no reason to doubt him.
You have to put it in car mode, as @blink said.

You're not using it in dashcam mode, that's why it doesn't work without the battery. I don't own a M10 but @Pavle stated in his review that it can be used as a dashcam without the battery and I have no reason to doubt him.
You have to put it in car mode, as @blink said.
Thanks mate. Ill try it out

Sad news my m10 has failed. The battery has swollen up and can not be removed from the housing.

Hi ..is that because of too much sun ? Was it reliable up to this issue? Thanks

Yes I believe so. It was reliable up until then. But I now wouldn't recommend it as a dash cam. I should have listened to others on here. Get a dash cam with a capacitor instead.

It's not the sun that makes the batteries swell up, it's constant charging, that's why SJCAM advises to remove the battery when the cameras are being used as dashcams. When used properly they can be as good a dashcam as the next one. Or even better.

It's not the sun that makes the batteries swell up, it's constant charging, that's why SJCAM advises to remove the battery when the cameras are being used as dashcams. When used properly they can be as good a dashcam as the next one. Or even better.

But it needs a capacitor to properly save and shut off the device. Because when it my vehicle shuts off it cuts power to the device and the last file was never saved. That's why I used the camera with the battery in place.

But it needs a capacitor to properly save and shut off the device. Because when it my vehicle shuts off it cuts power to the device and the last file was never saved. That's why I used the camera with the battery in place.
No, it doesn't need a capacitor to save the last file. It has an internal battery to keep date, time and settings, and save the last file when in Car Mode. Did you have Car Mode activated?

Of course I did. When I tried using it without the battery, I would open the ad card on my computer and the last file would be corrupted and can not open. I did this a few times and every time the same result.

Mind you I did this almost a year ago, on an older firmware update, so maybe they have made changes?

Anyways I can't get the battery out of the device now, and it's jammed half way out.

Of course I did. When I tried using it without the battery, I would open the ad card on my computer and the last file would be corrupted and can not open. I did this a few times and every time the same result.

Mind you I did this almost a year ago, on an older firmware update, so maybe they have made changes?
All I can say is that @TeriTerryTarry's manual states it can be used as a dashcam without the battery and he doesn't mention anything about last file corruption. I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

The latest FW for the M10 basic (version 1.5) is from May 2016, maybe they had already addressed that issue in previous versions.

Last edited:
All I can say is that @TeriTerryTarry's manual states it can be used as a dashcam without the battery and he doesn't mention anything about last file corruption. I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

that was reported to work on the SJ4000, not sure if the later models were the same or not

that was reported to work on the SJ4000, not sure if the later models were the same or not
He says the instructions are valid for the 3 models, SJ4000, SJ5000 and M10, and as you know the M10 is just a SJ4000 in a different case.

Last edited:
do they use the same firmware?
They have different files but that doesn't mean it's not the same firmware. All the models have Car Mode, so it doesn't make much sense to include the last file saving feature in one FW and not in the others.

Last edited:
Back