TonyCams

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
SJCAM M20 is slated to release in around a month of so. The M20 is SJCAM's lightest, most compact camera to date weighing in at only 55 grams. The M20 will arguably have one of the best sensors yet as well, the 16 mega pixel Sony IMX206 sensor. Powered by the Novatek NTK96660 Chipset, the M20 also features Gyro Stabilization, Adjustable FOV, 2.5K (marketed as 2K (4K is Interpolated)), and much more.

Stay tuned to this thread for more announcements, product updates and release info.

Feel free to comment, ask questions or review the M20 here.

Attachments

• M20-1.jpg
    M20-1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 273
Here is a size comparison review showing the M20 compared to the M10.... and SJ4000, SJ5000.

It is clearly the most compact :)

Here is a first look review. The Chipset has been confirmed to have a Novatek NTK96660 chipset

I was under the impression the IMX078 was the new, better sensor, but is the IMX206 or IMX078 better? I see this is using the IMX206 and the quality looks good in the day, but what will the lowlight and night footage look like. And what's the chance of seeing true UHD 4K on an SJCam in the future?

-Nate

Last edited:
I was under the impression the IMX078 was the new, better sensor, but is the IMX206 or IMX078 better? I see this is using the IMX206 and the quality looks good in the day, but what will the lowlight and night footage look like. And what's the chance of seeing true UHD 4K on an SJCam in the future?

-Nate
imx078 = 12mp
imx206= 16mp

I took some footage in Las vegas with the prototype m20. As with the SJ5000x, the m20 will handle low light situations well.

there are other clips on our channel as well.

Looks great. I'll decide after I see the night performance. If it's at least as good as the SJ5000x with the 1.2.4 I might have to grab one. I want to be able to match the two up in post. Also have you guys thought about a different chipset? I mean the IMX206 can do real UHD 4K, so why not go with a chipset that can work with that? I also want to hear the sound. I'm not a stickler for in camera audio, but the (non-SJCam) SJ8000 sound can be good enough for quick production in some situations, with minor tweaking. The audio should be at least as good on the M20, because sometimes it comes in handy if you don't have your microphone.

-Nate

Looks great. I'll decide after I see the night performance. If it's at least as good as the SJ5000x with the 1.2.4 I might have to grab one. I want to be able to match the two up in post. Also have you guys thought about a different chipset? I mean the IMX206 can do real UHD 4K, so why not go with a chipset that can work with that? I also want to hear the sound. I'm not a stickler for in camera audio, but the (non-SJCam) SJ8000 sound can be good enough for quick production in some situations, with minor tweaking. The audio should be at least as good on the M20, because sometimes it comes in handy if you don't have your microphone.

-Nate

Hello Nate, the m20 was going to use the Ambarella A7 chipset but it seems that the chip is still unstable. NTK96660 seems to be more stable and it comes with better support.

I was getting excited about the Ambarella chipset as well. It looks like we'll be waiting until May or June for something with real 4K to come out. The audio is at least as good as the SJ5000x Elite and have passed the recommendation on to upgrade the Mic. I will be on vacation at least until February 18 so hopefully whomever is in charge of overseeing the m20 production can assure this for us.

It will be after Chinese New Year before production ramps up so there is still time for product improvement.

I'll probably wait until May/June to buy. If it's true 4K I can start shooting and testing it out immediately for productions. And please keep the 24p mode.

-Nate

Last edited:
I'll probably wait until May/June to buy. If it's true 4K I can start shooting and testing it out immediately for productions. And please keep the 24p mode.

-Nate

Hello Nate, Back from our vacation. We still recommend you wait for the final M20 specs and release. Things are still being added as we speak. There is now a SJCAM M20 product link on our site now.

Hello Nate, Back from our vacation. We still recommend you wait for the final M20 specs and release. Things are still being added as we speak. There is now a SJCAM M20 product link on our site now.

I saw it, but it's still interpolated. I just uploaded a short I shot with the SJ8000 and SJ5000x and honestly, I'm ready for real UHD 4K. For my needs the SJ5000x is pretty good, but scaling is important. A good SJCam camera should have all the features the SJ5000x (especially that lowlight), but with real UHD and a microphone as good as the SJ8000.

-Nate

I saw it, but it's still interpolated. I just uploaded a short I shot with the SJ8000 and SJ5000x and honestly, I'm ready for real UHD 4K. For my needs the SJ5000x is pretty good, but scaling is important. A good SJCam camera should have all the features the SJ5000x (especially that lowlight), but with real UHD and a microphone as good as the SJ8000.

-Nate
Okay then. I really cannot confirm when a real 4K SJCAM will be released. I do not have knowledge of an upcoming model yet.

It looks good so far. And I like the bluetooth idea.

-Nate

I think even the latest SJCAM M20 doesn't have bluetooth.
It has the capability to be used with SJ Smart Remote, but is is based on RF not Bluetooth as stated in here.
https://sjcamhd.com/shop/sjcam-remo...ch-for-m20-pre-order-now-release-date-15-apr/
TBH, I'm not a fan of the watch form factor of the remote. But having waterproof capabilities without any case is a plus.
Are you suggesting that the advertised M20 Bluetooth is a fake Bluetooth?

The Remote Control specification doesn't mention Bluetooth, but it does say that it does power on and off. For the remote to be able to power on the camera you normally need genuine low power Bluetooth...

I'm not a big fan of the watch form either, but there are times when the GitUp remote watch is very useful and convenient, I guess this will be as useful. That is not Bluetooth either, but they don't advertise it as such.

The nonprotective case mount, does it have tripod mount hole in both sides? In the video it seems to just have on the top of the case, im using my sjcam sj4000 wifi as a dashcam on the dashboard with tripod hole in the top and the bottom of the nonprotective case with adhesive flat mount, would rather not to change to a suctioncup, when upgrading to sjcam m20, will there be accessories that will solve my question?
As mentioned before, the sjcam sj4000 wifi really have an average quality in night recording, will the m20 produce better night quality recording at night as a dashcam?

Attachments

• dsahcam.jpg
    dsahcam.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 13
Are you suggesting that the advertised M20 Bluetooth is a fake Bluetooth?

The Remote Control specification doesn't mention Bluetooth, but it does say that it does power on and off. For the remote to be able to power on the camera you normally need genuine low power Bluetooth...

I'm not a big fan of the watch form either, but there are times when the remote watch is very useful and convenient, I guess this will be as useful. That is not Bluetooth either, but they don't advertise it as such.

I just confirmed and the remote watch is 2.4ghz. The Description and URL will be updated shortly. This should be shipping soon and it is also still pre-order.

The nonprotective case mount, does it have tripod mount hole in both sides? In the video it seems to just have on the top of the case, im using my sjcam sj4000 wifi as a dashcam on the dashboard with tripod hole in the top and the bottom of the nonprotective case with adhesive flat mount, would rather not to change to a suctioncup, when upgrading to sjcam m20, will there be accessories that will solve my question?
As mentioned before, the sjcam sj4000 wifi really have an average quality in night recording, will the m20 produce better night quality recording at night as a dashcam?

Are you asking about the M20 frame case or the Sj4000 frame case?

Here is a M20 unboxing review:

Im asking about the m20 frame case, does it have tripod screw in the bottom aswell or just in the top?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 M20 0
J M20 2
O M20 9
K M20 14
K M20 1
Back