SJCAM M20 - High Pitched Buzzing

kyoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yet another issue with this camera - a high pitched buzzing developed out of nowhere. Not sure what caused it or why it is happening, but it is sudden and persistent.

Camera never dropped or abused. Mounted to my car and used for recording racing.

I'm not sure what kind of heavy duty testing SJCAM is doing on its cameras, but it needs to do more. These are action cameras and mine sees very mild abuse.

Camera was purchased directly from SJCAM, and they have reached out to me.

Hi kyoo,

any solution for the buzzing?

I got the same problem.

SJCAM has recognized the problem - I guess we have to contact SJCAM directly... good luck

for me turning off the HDR does the job.

wanted to update this: SJCAM is trying to pass this off as a "feature" - "Auto Voice Gain" which means it is supposed to??? buzz in "quiet environments.

This is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard of - I was using it all day long, no changes made, and it suddenly started buzzing. That is a malfunction, and one multiple people are seeing.

They wanted to me to test it in a noisy environment to see if the noise would go away

Last edited:
just to reiterate how dumb this is:

They keep asking me to test the camera with "loud noises" going on, to see if the high pitched buzzing is there. OBVIOUSLY, you'll barely be able to hear the buzzing at all if there are "loud noises" going on - it's a faint buzz as it is!

Yet another issue with this camera - a high pitched buzzing developed out of nowhere. Not sure what caused it or why it is happening, but it is sudden and persistent.
I watched the video with high quality headphones and the only persistent sound I hear is a lot of pink noise in the background, which can be normal in high sensitivity mics. Is that what you're referring to as high pitched buzzing? Was it quieter before? Was the camera inside the waterproof case?

yes - i'll post a few more videos for clarification. no buzzing before, camera always in case, no changes made through the day. will post

Dear Kyoo,

Could you let us know which volume level did you set?

Please try to set up the recording volume to 7 or 8, If the buzzing still persists, please get in touch with us at support@sjcamhd.com, we'll try our best to fix the problem with a software update, if that doesn't work out, we will fix the camera for You.

support@sjcam has been totally ignoring me & this issue - I've followed up multiple times on it

support@sjcam has been totally ignoring me & this issue - I've followed up multiple times on it

Please try opening a ticket and contacting Peter. If this does not work, please escalate the issue to tony@sjcamhd.com.

Thanks and hopefully your issues have been resolved.

BR,

SJO

I have the same issue. If the volume is set to 7 then recorded audio is so quite - almost silent.
When I set mic volume to 8-10 then the pitching noise appears as on video.

Any solution provided? Or it is hardware fault of m20?

I have the same issue. If the volume is set to 7 then recorded audio is so quite - almost silent.
When I set mic volume to 8-10 then the pitching noise appears as on video.

Any solution provided? Or it is hardware fault of m20?
We have not heard of this issue with many units of the M20 can you maybe open a support ticket?

We have not heard of this issue with many units of the M20 can you maybe open a support ticket?
yes, I opened the ticket.
I am not sure if it is my unit is faulty or all M20 have microphone issue. I found a lot of mic complaints for M20 on the internet.
I created a test video to demonstrate the issue

yes, I opened the ticket.
I am not sure if it is my unit is faulty or all M20 have microphone issue. I found a lot of mic complaints for M20 on the internet.
I created a test video to demonstrate the issue

Okay, hopefully, we will be able to resolve this via the ticket system. thanks for your patience

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 M20 0
J M20 2
O M20 9
K M20 1
K M20 7
Back