Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

I've read the Procam announcement that they will be creating new firmware version soon, including improvement of video quality.
It will be interesting if this will be applicable to this dvr...

And thanks for the review! Looks like right now DVR is shifting to red and not as sharp as I would like it to be

Unless they can do some magic with focus, I don't think a firmware upgrade can help this puppy much. As in, I hope they don't do software sharpening to compensate for bad optics. I also hope others convince me that this is not a hw issues ... but so far it seems a mis-aligned or mis-matched lens is the biggest problem. That being said, firmware update would solve the second biggest issue with the power-off, as well as third-priority quirks (colour being so so, weak contrast, and funky exposure control) so I would definitely welcome it.

miji2 said:
So here's my quick review.
When did you order and what seller?
Sharpness could be fixed with a bit of surgery and manual adjusting like on other dvrs. But, if the lens are crap, then no adjustment is going to help. Have you tried the parking mode on this camera?

ciuvak said:

Same as in OP. Ordered about 3 weeks ago.

ciuvak said:
Have you tried the parking mode on this camera?

Parking mode? I see no mention of that anywhere. Please enlighten me.

miji2 said:
ciuvak said:

Same as in OP. Ordered about 3 weeks ago.

ciuvak said:
Have you tried the parking mode on this camera?

It says "motion detect" in the first posts link... same as parking mode?

miji2 said:
Well, it's got motion detection, so my guess is if it's hardwired or plugged into an "always on" plug, it should record automatically when it detects motion. I a newbie when it comes to these cameras, this will be my first one, so I can't tell you any more useful info. Maybe someone else can explain how it works.
Also can someone explain why the manufacturer says to not have the motion detect ON, when the car is moving? Does that mean that the user has to turn the feature ON/OFF everytime they park the car? Can someone please explain how to properly use the motion detect feature on these Chinese cams?

ciuvak said:
Well, it's got motion detection, so my guess is if it's hardwired or plugged into an "always on" plug, it should record automatically when it detects motion. I a newbie when it comes to these cameras, this will be my first one, so I can't tell you any more useful info. Maybe someone else can explain how it works.
Also can someone explain why the manufacturer says to not have the motion detect ON, when the car is moving? Does that mean that the user has to turn the feature ON/OFF everytime they park the car? Can someone please explain how to properly use the motion detect feature on these Chinese cams?

Oh, I see what you mean now. Parking mode, as in "to be used _while_ parked" and not "to be used _to_ park" as I understood it. :)
I have not tried motion detection yet, but that's what I was going to use to stop this thing from recording empty walls since the dvr does not want to power off currently.

miji2 said:
Oh, I see what you mean now. Parking mode, as in "to be used _while_ parked" and not "to be used _to_ park" as I understood it. :)
I have not tried motion detection yet, but that's what I was going to use to stop this thing from recording empty walls since the dvr does not want to power off currently.
Yeah, so from what I've read on other models, when the car is parked the cam goes into standby and only records when there is motion in front of it, but also the g sensor is supposed to be able to sense any bumps towards the car and start recording when that happens.
I'm not sure how well implemented are all these features in this model. Did you get a user manual?
I read the russian manual for Procam CX4, there isn't any information on the motion detection or g sensor. The only sentence there is, just says: Motion Sensor: ON/OFF (Do not use while driving).
Can someone explain this?
Edit: Actually there is a blurb about the g-sensor: Impact sensor is used to record heavy braking or impact.

ciuvak said:
Did you get a user manual?

Scanned it for you. Attached. Sorry about the 90 degree rotation.

Attachments

• A8-1080p (HD009 or cx4) dvr user manual.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 53

Based on first feedback on aliexpress, I found this interesting:
"Works well. Default language on DVR is Russian"

I am going to pick up mine from post office in an hour.

BTW, aliexpress have it for $110+ available again (original link posted)

V8Rocks said:

Please post your experience when you get to know it ;)

So is there a difference between first and second sellers? Are they re-selling the same product?

sudo said:
V8Rocks said:

Please post your experience when you get to know it ;)

Looks like GPS sensor is not functional, but video quality is very decent indoor and outdoor. Video is sharp and in focus... It records .Mov H.264 files as advertised.

There is a tiny "darker" area in left lower corner -possibly result of spec of dust, but it is not something to worry about as it is almost imperceptible.

miji2 said:

On Procam site I found they are saying the motion detection must be off, otherwise it will continue working untill the battery last

V8Rocks said:
Looks like GPS sensor is not functional, but video quality is very decent indoor and outdoor. Video is sharp and in focus... It records .Mov H.264 files as advertised.

Does your unit shut down automatically?

miji2 said:
V8Rocks said:

Does your unit shut down automatically?
Yes, it shuts down in about 10 secs after power is disconnected. Motion Sensor = Off. It also powers off if left idle in play mode in about a minute.

V8Rocks said:
Yes, it shuts down in about 10 secs after power is disconnected. Motion Sensor = Off

That's good to hear. What's the firmware version?

miji2 said:
V8Rocks said:
Yes, it shuts down in about 10 secs after power is disconnected. Motion Sensor = Off

That's good to hear. What's the firmware version?

Any one knows what GPS setting means: Open/Close?

sample snapshots Smallest 1080p vs. Smallest 720P

Attachments

• 15570001.AVI (0_00_03) 000002.jpg
    15570001.AVI (0_00_03) 000002.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 129
  • AMBA0056.MOV (0_00_04) 000001.jpg
    AMBA0056.MOV (0_00_04) 000001.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 130
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back