Smartphone versus popular dashcams

Derpinheimer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have the usual questions.

What I really want is something that can offer significantly better video quality than a HTC One M8, which has one of the worst smartphone cameras. I'm not sure if that translates into terrible video, but I have some sample clips uploading now. Currently its mounted on something I got from China; thought it would be reasonable quality at $15 being that it has a custom holder for the M8, but its not. Aside from being shaky, the clip that holds the phone in place broke within a month.

After looking at a lot of threads, the cameras that seemed of interest to me were:

• DOD LS300W --> Just from youtube videos, this appeared to have the best image quality.
  • PowerUCC Panorama
  • G1WH
  • Mini 0803
  • G90
  • Mobius
My limited research yielded that the LS300W has the best image quality but questionable reliability. For whatever reason the dashcam roundup shows it as only good in the video quality department.

The Panorama is a great all rounder, plus I see there is plenty of support and some nice mounts. However the video quality looked lacking to me.

G1WH is only $40, but I dont know if its really going to be better than a phone? Does it at least have a good suction mount (not shaky?)

Mini ? Popular? I'm not worried about size. I guess it isnt for me?

G90? Slightly better G1WH? Mobius as well?

My price limit would be $200, but I wouldnt mind going a bit higher if there was something substantially better at, say, $240.

Thank you!

LS300W is overpriced, buy the generic version at less than half the cost if that's what you like

G90, decent video, poor mount bracket

Mobius, good video, not the most attractive mounts for them but you may be able to work out something nicer than the stock ones

Mini, video ok, QC is a bit hit and miss

Panorama, good all rounder, video is not true to life colours but tailored to showing detail

for any though YouTube is not the place to make a judgement call

Wow, quick reply, thank you.

I figured with the LS300W the generic would be the go-to, just forgot its name :p. I think I've seen that you do not recommend this at some point in time.

So from what you've written I'm going to take a guess and say its down to GT300W, Panorama? Depending on how this video looks possibly the G1WH is still open.

Do you have any other recommendations for HQ video, reasonable field of view? The only number I could find for the M8 is 88 degrees; no info if that is horizontal or diagonal. I would guess horiz?

The video of the M8 is in processing but I'm gonna guess its going to look pretty terrible. Windows claims the bitrate is 20000kbps which works out to about 2.5MBps. Mostly the colors change constantly and the detail is lacking. Also, I had the settings on the program wrong so it was set to 5s videos. Its choppy. Had to take the car in to get brakes fixed, only one wheel has brakes, so couldnt get anything better at the moment.

Here is the link for whenever HD becomes available. Currently only 360p

Last edited:
GT680W seems like an interesting one as well; possibly the new "RX270" as well?

Opinion on GT680W vs LS300 (Both are same price)?
Otherwise Panorama is better than both but double the price.

Panorama ~ $200
GT300W -$99
GT680W - $90
RX270 - $70
G1w - $40

Last edited:
Opinion on GT680W vs LS300 (Both are same price)?

at the same price I'd take the 300, the 680 is small but the ergonomics are poor, side mounted buttons are too easy to press while trying to do other things, not keen on the size or quality of the mount either

the mount that came with the 300 is better quality than that of the 680 in my experience, I have both models here, I feel the low light performance of the 300 is better also, both samples I have are running older versions of firmware than current so perhaps that may have changed

Ok so I think I'm going to get the RX270 because it seems good for its price.

I just have a question regarding the cables. Is there any way to use to micro-usb cables to power one device? Say, I have the cigarette lighter powering the camera.. can I also have an external battery, simultaneously, doing half of the work?

Yeah most likely, disregard.

Still right on the fence with purchasing RX270. Very ugly, stupid LEDs.. but cheap. Looks like an OK mount. GT680W no logo looks a lot nicer but if its the same camera its kinda silly to throw out another $20 for it.

Is $185 really the lowest a Panorama II S can be had? No knockoffs?

Last edited:
I noticed no one really replied about the G1WH so i'll give you my experience seeing as i have one, great little cam for the money it is way better than using a phone, loads of clips on youtube and on here as well. Unlike some I have had no problem with the mount had mine a month and its not come off once, its also on the dotted area, other mounts are also available including rear view mirror mounts for a couple bucks from china if ordered with the cam and cpl filters can be purchased pretty cheaply too as well. So if your looking for a cheap starter cam i would not rule it out seeing as it can be had for under $50 :)

Thanks for your input :)

I'd definitely get myself a G1W, but I dont really want a starter cam. I just want to get a cam and be done with it. However, you've got me thinking that I could pass it off to a family member if I decide I want a bit better image quality, so its not a total waste.

Still right on the fence about what to buy. I think I've looked at every sub-forum of brands and nothing really sticks out but the G1W, Panorama, GT300(And variants?), GT680W(And variants?).

Of course the Mobius and 803 have uses but not to me, since IQ isnt their focus, and being unnoticeable isnt mine.

Are there any other cams to look at then, that arent really expensive? I was really confused with the variants of the GT300W to be honest, GT550WS, GT330, sooo many.. but they are all the same? All have the same lens in heat issue?

And the GT680W is in fact good cam + reliable?

Thank you for your help everyone I appreciate it!

Ok one more question: Why is it that dual channel dashcams are more than double the price of mid range single dashcam?

I mean, I could get 2 GT680W for less than that of a low-mid range 2ch cam.. and the video quality would be worse on the 2ch cam? Am I missing something?

I am interested in having 2ch cam, so if something reasonable (<$250) is coming out soon I would wait, but it seems like good 2ch cams are like $400..

So what they target is convenience in turn for high price? But two single channel cams is ultimately cheaper with better video quality?

I'm waiting to see how much the dual channel Panorama is before buying any more!

So what they target is convenience in turn for high price? But two single channel cams is ultimately cheaper with better video quality?

Dual channel capable solutions are only just now starting to deliver the desired results, prices will fall eventually but the hardware is more expensive, the firmware is more complex, even file management is more involved and there is less sales volume at this stage which is needed to drive prices down

Good info,thank you.

2ch panorama is probably >$400 i'd imagine

Well, the smartphone camera mount I had snapped at the suction cup today; pretty bizarre - so, I cant really wait much anymore. I just want to be sure there is nothing really exciting on the horizon.

Looking at G1WH at $40, A118 at $62, RX270 at $70

All 3 come from different stores (Banggod, Gearbest, foxoffer) - and I'm thinking foxoffer is the most reliable? As for reliability.. ? Any opinions?

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back