Snowy / Cloudy Day. Street Guardian SG9665GC vs SGZC12RC ( Panorama X1 ) vs B40 / A118

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Please Note Firmware version below. Developers may release new firmware in future with different video performance for each model.

It was rare snowy weekend here in Dublin. I draw through very busy shopping centre, so do expect a lot of stop'n'go in my video test due to some traffic, there for please be patient watching it or just scroll forward.

Raw / original files can be downloaded HERE

Top left: Snowy Day. Street Guardian SG9665GC. FW: SG20150210.002
Top right: Snowy Day. Street Guardian SGZC12RC / Panorama X1. FW: v01.01.02
Bottom: Snowy Day. B40 / A118. FW: 20141204

SG9665GC and B40 / A118 have default EV value "0", WDR / HDR On.
SGZC12RC / Panorama X1 has all default ( non adjustable ) video image quality settings.

P.S. first 3-4 minutes I had car heater fan at maximum, so you may hear some "dull sound recording". Later sound goes more clear when I turn heater fan to lower speed.

Individual videos:

niko...

are these tests not pointless and would it not be more beneficial to compare them after VLC enhancement to guage

a more representative valid comparrison ??

niko...

are these tests not pointless and would it not be more beneficial to compare them after VLC enhancement to guage

a more representative valid comparrison ??

not following what you mean, can you explain what you want to do in VLC and for what purpose?

Been flexing my modem and i think it is time for me to move my downloads folder from my SSD C: drive onto a larger spinning harddrive :p

The SG cameras look good :cool:

you can tweek a better image especially at night thus being better able to demonstrate the actual quality you can end up with from a camera and then make a better comparrison

niko...

a more representative valid comparison ??

For "average Joe" need set and forget unit with comfort of "set and forget playback" as it comes straight from device to playback on PC or other multimedia device. I doubt "average Joe" or even most enthusiast have time to play around with each scenario with different video editing options. However for those who want to enhance some particular part of footage which is more valuable for them for example in case of accident, then of course they can do so, there for I do provide a raw / original download link to each camera tested.
As mentioned in description, tests are done on default settings for all dashcams. Default settings are the golden middle point where all side by side tests should be made to get real life everyday scenario results.

you can tweek a better image especially at night thus being better able to demonstrate the actual quality you can end up with from a camera and then make a better comparrison

by "tweaking" one camera, you have to tweak other ones as well the way where proportional "better IQ" rises for all dashcams evenly, so I dont see a point of doing this. Comparison should be fair for all dashcams made at factory default settings. As earlier mentioned, those who want to play around with "tweaks", they can do so by downloading raw / original files, but to be fair for all dashcams, - those tweaks should be made at exact proportional level. Hope you know what I am trying to say.

I agree with niko, tests must be at default settings, this should allso be a indicator as to what the maker of the dashcam think off as a worst case scenario.
And i think only a fjew will use post production enhancements, unless it will save ther butt in a dispute.

The B40/A118 aint bad in the daytime, but comparing it to the other 2 cameras i think its easy to see they are in another price range.
The "X1" apper to be a little dark, but i am sure this will be tweaked by the good folkes at Street Guardian.

I agree with niko, tests must be at default settings, this should allso be a indicator as to what the maker of the dashcam think off as a worst case scenario.
And i think only a fjew will use post production enhancements, unless it will save ther butt in a dispute.

The B40/A118 aint bad in the daytime, but comparing it to the other 2 cameras i think its easy to see they are in another price range.
The "X1" apper to be a little dark, but i am sure this will be tweaked by the good folkes at Street Guardian.

There are things "here and there" on most dashcams which would never satisfy all customers no matter how much you try to tune up firmware.
Yeah, B40 / A118 is doing quite well in its price range and it would be too much to ask more within its hardware limitations vs price it cost now.

I strongly disagree...

By your method a g1wh would give useless images at night but enhancement demonstrates it gives an image that will match far more expensive cameras if you apply your no enhancement stock rule to them...and compare with enhanced g1wh.

I strongly disagree...

By your method a g1wh would give useless images at night but enhancement demonstrates it gives an image that will match far more expensive cameras if you apply your no enhancement stock rule to them...and compare with enhanced g1wh.
Dont forget a proportional enchancment value for all dashcams I have mentioned ;)
By enchancing g1w by 10%, you also have to enchace a high end dashcam by same value to be on the fair comparison side. At the end we still get better result from high-end.

What I am trying to say is..
Just because a camera plays back a poorer image than another is no a confirmation of a lesser quality if it can be demonstrsted it has actually captured far more detail when extracted by enhancement.
That then becomes its actual benchmark.

This done on all camera footage gives an undisputed benchmark for all foopeppnd a true comparison can be made of the quality of the images..

Which is what buyers look for in an informed choice..

PS. Its not about being fair . it's about max quality of image possible compared and this forum should be doing more to assist people wanting to make an informed decision ...
Rather than let sellers dictate unreasonable comparisons are a factual representation of quality of image possible ...

Last edited:
What I am trying to say is..
Just because a camera plays back a poorer image than another is no a confirmation of a lesser quality if it can be demonstrsted it has actually captured far more detail when extracted by enhancement.
That then becomes its actual benchmark.

This done on all camera footage gives an undisputed benchmark for all footage and a true comparison can be made of the quality of the images..

I think the point remains what are you getting out of the camera as delivered, if you have to hand over files to an insurer or police etc they'll just play them as they come, they're not going to start fiddling with gamma, brightness, contrast etc to try and extract missing detail (commit a major crime and the police might but at that point the footage is perhaps the least of your worries), for simple cue and review obviously the better it comes out of the camera the easier it is to review and work with

Any file from any camera can be improved in post processing to extract more detail

Think on guys..

A lot of these cameras are sent out out of focus and prove to be unreliable and we advise people how to get the best out of them....

Are you trying to tell me that shouldn't extend to simple picture enhancement for an accurate comparison ?

Surely we as a helpful forum should do better than this and tell it how it is rather than leave people misled ..

I declare no vested interest in the sale of dsshcams... Merely an interest in helping others make a fully informed comparison and choice in the spirit of a positive helpful forum ..

Last edited:
I would certainly agree that if a camera is out of focus that a comparison is neither fair, nor valid, as far as being unreliable yeah that applies to a lot of unbranded product and is very hit and miss, Techmoan has reviewed quite a few cameras that he has said he's liked over the years that have turned out to be not so great for end users as build quality and consistency is often very poor

What you can do in post processing applies to any camera, should a reviewer do this and present results based on what 'may' be possible, I don't think so, if you want to do a review of playback or editing software then sure

You are of course welcome to do your own tests the way you feel they should be done and present the results, you don't even need to own the cameras as the raw files have been provided

Great review,congrats!
Seems like the b40 does a hell of a job,strange to me is that it has the most natural colours,the sensor does a good job with ballacing the white but it's a bit blurry,too bad they didn't choose a better lens 150 degree angle would be a perfect choice IMO.
X1 has a very sharp image but it's blueish and has greater contrast maybe that's why it seems like it's -0.3EV.
SG is just the best,for some the price is a major drawback.

Is there a software that can give us some measurements about exposure/wb/contrast/sharpness and so on,so we can compare them the right way?Like in photograph where you have the histogram and so on

Think on guys..

A lot of these cameras are sent out out of focus and prove to be unreliable and we advise people how to get the best out of them....

Are you trying to tell me that shouldn't extend to simple picture enhancement for an accurate comparison ?

Surely we as a helpful forum should do better than this and tell it how it is rather than leave people misled ..

I declare no vested interest in the sale of dsshcams... Merely an interest in helping others make a fully informed comparison and choice in the spirit of a positive helpful forum ..

I disagree. These tests to are to show each camera as per default straight out of the box, if the manufacturers do not bother putting in the effort and time to optimise and fine tune their dash cams to the best of the ability of the hardware components, then these tests still show their "faults". I don't want some 3rd party enhancing software to mask the fault of the manufacturers. I for one like my dashcam to be set and forget, I don't like to and I don't have a lot of time to tinker with my dashcam. So when it comes to time to review my video, I want to view them straight out from the dashcam (in the microSD card), and I won't freaking bother putting in more time post-processing each video files.

Wow even in day time I can only read the license plate numbers on the top two Street Guardian products. The enhanced lens and high quality Sony sensor really comes through when you need it.

Very nice, Glad I waited to get the SG9665,
I haven’t been in the blanchardstown shopping center in years,
Nice to get a tour around :) and remind myself I like the california weather better ....

I agree with @Adriano:

" ... it has the most natural colours,the sensor does a good job with ballacing the white but it's a bit blurry,too bad they didn't choose a better lens 150 degree angle would be a perfect choice IMO"

Focus is OK, but washed away effect comes from two factors:
1. wider FOV
2. lens quality

The second one is most important. No wonder why in photography world some camera lens cost price of a villa.

Below are some screenshots from B40 where can see focus is OK, bue I do agree that overall picture is a little bit washed away, due to its lens quality and FOV. I am not saying that there is something wrong, - most dashcams in this price-rance will perform similar way ( maybe exept Mobius who uses more expencive lens ), but if you would be comparing side by side with same price range dashcams, then I do believe there would not be a lot difference. B40 / A118 is stil la great choice for people with limited budget.
To be fair to B40, I do believe its doing its job quite well for the price you pay and it would be unfair to judge it too hush here, but because many people asking what is the difference between generic nad higher priced products, - thats why such side by side tests are done to give an anwers with real life comparison tests, raw / original files and explanations.

B40 Snowy day (1).jpg

B40 Snowy day (2).jpg

B40 Snowy day (3).jpg

B40 Snowy day (4).jpg

B40 Snowy day (5).jpg

B40 Snowy day (6).jpg

B40 Snowy day (7).jpg

B40 Snowy day (8).jpg

B40 Snowy day (9).jpg

B40 Snowy day (10).jpg

Back