So many choices! Need a bit of guidance

Aiofe

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi all,

I'm half blind looking at the wide variety of dash cams for my new car and rather than getting closer to a decision I'm further away than when I started!

I currently have a Blueskysea that cost me something like $40 a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly in sometimes very high temperatures (Too hot to grab and take off the mounting hot!) and apart from a few niggles (FM radio interference, flashing battery icon etc) I've been happy with it.

Ideally what I'm after is the following:
  • Front and rear facing (Wide angle is preferred so can somewhat see people / cars approaching from the side)
  • HD or Full HD video, acceptable nighttime video and would prefer to avoid dark / light transition exposure issues.
  • WiFi for downloading / viewing video on Apple products
  • Must be able to handle high temperatures (40°C / 105°F and above) Low temps not an issue as it rarely drops below 28°C
  • Always on or on when parked (I've seen some with a timelapse type function, is this acceptable or would actual video recording be better?)
  • Hardwired (Does this involve having an external battery?) so I don't have to think about turning it on or off, if I never notice it that's fine by me.
  • GPS/Speed would be nice
  • Would like to be able to install myself, I'm quite handy and don't mind getting stuck in.
  • Discreetness not really a problem
  • Live LCD or touchscreen
  • If it has audible warnings (Lane change etc) the ability to turn them off
  • Budget is adjustable, don't want to spend a fortune but am willing to pay for quality
Thinkware, MiVue and Marbella are at an IT show near me (Singapore) over the next few days so if you guys can recommend them now would be a good time to buy as prices should be lower.

I appreciate any and all input and thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Thinkware cams come with capacitors (+ it has cam overheating prevention sys which automatically shuts the camera when it gets too hot) and MiVue come with batteries. So Thinkware wins here.

Not familiar with Marbella.

Is Marbella related to the Curve brand cameras? Maka Corp.?

Back