[SOLVED] A119 not recording to SD card

BDunn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a transcend 32GB SD card. I've gone to format on the camera. When I plug the SD in to my computer, I go to the DCIM folder and nothing shows there. It's just an empty folder.

I've tried resetting all settings on the card to see if that would work as well and nothing there as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: A little more info. I took the card out of my wife's A119 and it had some files on there that werent on mine (HD 3.01-Firmware, Update and WF3.01-app.) I then copied those files from her card on to mine, plugged the card in to a usb charger on the wall and let it record for a few minutes. Voila! A new folder popped up in DCIM called Movies and Photos. I hooked it back up in to the car, went for a drive, came home, plugged it back in to the computer and the movies folder no longer exists in DCIM.

Last edited:
Which model VIOFO do you have?

Which Transcend card do you have? I have the LEXAR 32GB High Endurance in my A119 and it works great!

Try formatting the 32GB card in your PC using the Viofo guiformat2 tool. (FAT32).

Insert the SD card into your camera - select the Format Card option - and start recording - see what happens.

Also have you updated your firmware to the latest A119_170504_V2.05 (for the A119). ...and loaded Default Settings (after upgrading to latest Firmware)

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I currently have the transcend Premium 400x 32gb card. U1 Class 10. The camera is the Viofo A119
I have reformatted the card to Fat32 and on the camera. Still no luck.

I have also tried plugging the cable directly in to the camera and in to the GPS mount to no avail on either one.

would this just involve copying the .bin file in to the memory card?
yes. the card doesn't have to be empty, but should be formatted to a FAT32. the upgrade takes about 20 seconds. should reset all the settings in to a Default after the upgrade, then configure all the settings to your preferences.

Once you've copied the FWBA119.bin file to the root of your SD Card - do the following:-

1) Insert SD card into A119
2) Power the A119 from an external power source - e.g. USB phone charger (Don't use the PC's USB power!)
3) Wait until firmware update is complete.
4) Check Firmware version on A119 is 2.05
5) Format the sd card using VIOFO menus
6) Reset camera to default values
7) Start recording and check the footage is being captured to \DCIM\Movie

Once you've copied the FWBA119.bin file to the root of your SD Card - do the following:-

1) Insert SD card into A119
2) Power the A119 from an external power source - e.g. USB phone charger (Don't use the PC's USB power!)
3) Wait until firmware update is complete.
4) Check Firmware version on A119 is 2.05
5) Format the sd card using VIOFO menus
6) Reset camera to default values
7) Start recording and check the footage is being captured to \DCIM\Movie

Alright, so here's where I'm at.
I followed all these steps with it plugged in to a wall USB plug. Reformatted on the camera, reset settings. Then I let it record for a bit, plugged it in to my computer and the videos were there. I ejected the memory card (using right click eject like you should) then plugged it right back in to the computer and the movies were no longer there. I don't know if this is a memory card issue or a faulty camera.

Check the card for errors using H2testw, it could be a fake card.

Alright, so here's where I'm at.
I ejected the memory card (using right click eject like you should) then plugged it right back in to the computer and the movies were no longer there. I don't know if this is a memory card issue or a faulty camera.
so, after that you put your memory card back into a camera, connected it to a computer, and verified that the movie files are still on a memory card, right?!

so, after that you put your memory card back into a camera, connected it to a computer, and verified that the movie files are still on a memory card, right?!

That is correct.
I solved the issue. It was a memory card issue. I have a second Viofo A119 (its in my wife's car) and I tested my memory card in her camera and my camera in both cars and it wouldnt record. I then tested her card in her camera and my camera in both cars and it recorded, leading me to believe it was a memory card issue.

I went to Best Buy, bought a new 32GB memory card, popped it in, formatted it, drove home and plugged it in to the computer. It recorded everything with no issues.

I solved the issue.
good.gif

I went to Best Buy, bought a new 32GB memory card,
just one question: why only 32gb?! you can use even 200gb in it.

Back