Some elderly drivers should hand in their licence!

Muth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0803
She was reversing on a main road when I came up behind her, not because she needed to... she apparently couldn't find a forwards gear! Then she made off, but quickly braked for absolutely no reason (I'm guessing that she couldn't find the correct forward gear yet again) and shortly after leaving the restricted speed zone slammed on her brakes afresh...

If ever there were grounds for the elderly sitting a regular driving retest instead of self-certifying their fitness to drive (after age seventy in the United Kingdom) then this demonstrates it... almost all of the worst driving that I see happening on the roads of Devon is down to senior citizens...

It's not just the elderly though. In the great majority of my vids, the idiots are under 65.
In fact, I have two YT vids showing drivers going the wrong way along a one way system - the first is an older woman but the second is a much younger woman (mid 20s?).
Personally, I feel all drivers would benefit from some sort of refresher every 10 years - modern photo licenses have to be renewed every 10 years - up to age 68 and every 5 years thereafter.
I also think that the current system of sending old drivers a medical questionaire with tick boxes is wrong, this should be a full medical.

Yeah I agree mate, there are plenty of bellends out there who are all young too - repassing every ten years should be a requirement but probably costs the government too much which is why they don't bother and just make you send a new picture in.

Don't get me wrong we all make mistakes from time to time but some folks do seem to make more than others.

Where I live in a rural area it is pretty common to come up behind an elderly person driving along at half the speed limit (or less!) on a road where you are not permitted to pass. Happens all the time and sometimes you can get stuck following them for miles like that........all the way into town!

Apologies for my FFF'ing and blinding in my opening post (on the video), I had been driving for miles on tourist congested 'B' roads for a few hours when the incident happened...

There's a massive influx of elderly in the area where I live. They retire down here and may not be used to driving on the rural roads or know the local urban centres well, but there remains a certain minimum standard of driving competence and a degree of consideration for other road users which should be upheld. I watched the recent TV documentary "100 year old drivers" with trepidation but was pleasantly surprised that those who featured were better than the average 80 year old in my neck of the woods!

I agree that there should be mandatory eyesight testing and regular driving examinations after, say, sixty years of age. Self-certifying health and competency isn't sufficient.

Sometimes it's a boy racer or younger driver that I see being a dork, but the elderly by far outweigh the young in bad driving standards. Perhaps they simply outnumber the younger idiots.

I originally bought a cam' because I had my drivers door mirror knocked clean off by a speeding road-hog of a youngster who failed to even stop at the scene, and who I physically chased down and eventually got recompense from, although the police really miffed me because they didn't want to so much as give him a breathalyser or even check his documents and insurance - unlike what they seem to show on any of the TV shows where they're shown enforcing the law.

Guess we all need to await for driver-less motoring where there'll be no accidents or nonsense of any other kind on the roads... ;)

Back