Something about how to choose a dashcam

Miastar

Reaction score
Country
Japan
  1. Reliability: Brand reliability is a pivotal factor influencing the quality of a dash cam. Established brands usually excel in reliability due to their higher research and development standards and more stringent supply chain requirements. Recommended brands include Japanese and Korean ones, such as Pioneer, Allpines, Thinkware, iRoad, etc. These brands not only undergo rigorous temperature and vibration testing but also boast consistent performance.
  2. After-Sales Support: Opting for a brand with an official website and the capability for regular updates and bug fixes is a wise choice. If the dash cam supports OTA updates, it adds to the convenience. A robust after-sales support system ensures that you can continue to enjoy stable functionality and performance during usage.
  3. Purchase Channels: If you choose to buy through platforms like Amazon, it's essential to pay attention to negative reviews. If multiple users mention the same issues, such as frequent reboots or rear camera malfunctions, it's worth considering these concerns seriously.
  4. Purchase Price: Price often serves as a significant indicator of product value. Products priced below a certain threshold on US online platforms often struggle to deliver stability and quality. Given supply chain costs, products with lower prices are more likely to have performance and image quality issues. Recommended price ranges include: Single 1080P camera not less than $60, dual 1080P cameras not less than $70, single 2K camera not less than $70, dual 2K+1080P cameras not less than $80, dual 4K+1080P cameras not less than $100. These prices represent the minimum standards considering performance and quality, and products priced lower are unlikely to ensure stability and performance.

If you have more you'd like to discuss with me, please let me know. :)

@Miastar
I appreciate your suggestions but it's more complex than that.

Brands don't always mean service. If you are able to bang in their office door then that might be ok.
The brands you mentioned how many are actually manufactured in their countries?

Official websites don't really mean anything either.
I'm dealing with a company that is large (not Dashcam related) and they don't seem to care about problems their customers have.

Where you purchase you goods from i are it's important but checking the reviews can be biased or even manipulated with fake reviews. I think Amazon has just attempted to fix that.

The old way was if you paid big you got best but that's not true any longer.
I wish it was that simple to pay big and gets best but that's not what I've found.

Research and forums like this one is a start. Better if someone you know has got one and they feel it's good. You still may not get the same experience as we all have different expectations.

Of course this is my opinion others will have other views which helps to make the discussion balanced.

Cheers

Back