Keep SG9663DCPRO or try something else

getting old

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, joined here a few years ago and ended up purchasing a Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO. Installed in a 2017 Audi A6. Was pretty happy with it, other than the primitive phone app and slow wifi connection (which I realize may be similar to other brands). The major factors behind that purchase were the climate where I live which can get pretty hot in summer, and my car often sits in direct sun, and customer support seemed good on the forum. Recently bought a 2022 A6, and I am considering whether to reinstall this same cam, or get a newer one.

I really like the remote design of the SG9663DR. I like the idea of small cameras and having the screen tucked away in the glove box or somewhere else. But other than that design, it seems the features aren't really much different from my current model. It appears there is a newer model SG9667DC2K, with better resolution, and maybe better wifi... is the wifi speed much improved for browsing/dowloading clips via phone app?

Any other brands I should consider? When I last shopped, it seemed liked Street Guardian was the best recommendation for hot climates and direct sun.

Generally want front and rear cameras, discreet form factor, good resolution but don't need the greatest, a good phone app and interface with ideally good browsing/transfer speeds, good reliability and customer support. Don't need cloud or GPS.

Thanks

Last edited:
Street guardian do not make " smart " cameras, for that you will need to look at Blackvue and Thinkware, and maybe a few others, smart do seem to be on the up.

I have not been privy to testing on the SG9667DC2K system, so i cant say about its wifi speed, but i fear you have to look at cameras based on a little newer SOC than the Novatek 9667 chip,,,,,,,, but i am not sure here.
Hot climates / direct sun should only be a thing to consider in regard to parking guard duty, i think all systems do fine for just sitting off in the sun, and then wake up to record your drive when you start the car.

The new Viofo A229 i am testing it do have snappy wifi speeds, at least testing DL of a 3 min file ( 500 MB or so ) was done in a time i would call convenient,,,, and i am used to wired 1 gbit internet at home,,,,, i dont use wifi much
The A229 are 1440p both front and rear, using the popular IMX 335 sony sensor.

Sadly wifi stopped working on my test sample so i can not offer to do a new file DL to my phone and time it properly, but let me just say its not like in the old days where you could spend 4 - 5 minuted DL a 300 MB / 3 minute file, that was horrible.

I would advise you to reinstall your current SG9663DCPRO if it already works fine to your satisfaction and you are satisfied with the video quality/durability.
There is no point in upgrading now. Wait until a dashcam with Starvis 2 sensor is released within the next year or two.

Back