Sometimes the dashcam doesn’t turn off

So…I don’t understand…why would an SD card cause the camera to freeze?

I turn off the car, the camera turns off. I get back in my car after 24 hours and I see the dashcam on and my battery low.

I drive a 2022 x3m.

Also, why would the rear camera cause the issue if I detach it?

I am confused. Please make sense of why my dashcam is on when I have parking mode off! So it should stay off…

I went ahead and formatted the original VIOFO sd card that came with the camera and then installed the latest firmware.

Will go ahead and monitor things and report back in a week or two.

I turn off the car, the camera turns off. I get back in my car after 24 hours and I see the dashcam on and my battery low.

I drive a 2022 x3m.

I am confused. Please make sense of why my dashcam is on when I have parking mode off! So it should stay off…
I'm a physicist. Working from first principles, the camera has to be receiving power. So although the camera powers down when you turn off the car, something must be turning the power back on. If you've connected the camera via the cigarette lighter socket, it would ordinarily go off with the ignition off, but these days there may be some weird car setting that provides power (for phone charging or whatever) with the ignition off. Or you may be using a USB socket in the car directly to the camera, which may also have power capability with the ignition off. If you're using the hardwire kit, then you may have connected the ACC (accessory, yellow wire) to a circuit that remains live with the ignition on. These conditions presume unlimited battery power such as when the engine is running and the alternator is charging the battery, but with the engine off you'll just an unrestricted energy drain. The only way the camera is intended to be powered with the ignition off is via the hardwire kit via BATT (battery, red wire) whereby the kit monitors battery voltage and shuts the camera down at a preset level.

Are you sure? Apparently it doesn't, since it's on, when you get back in the car.
If the camera isn't cut from power, it won't ever shut off.
But when you configure the parking mode to let's say 1 hour, the dashcam will auto-shutoff after 1 hour and stay off until you either hold down the button until it goes on or you unplug it and connect power again.
That's how it is with my Skoda, that has always-on power for the cigarette plug.
If I forget to unplug it, it'll go into parking mode after a few minutes of no GPS change and no vibrations and then shut off after the parking time is reached.

Hello IcEWoLF.

IcEWoLF: "I turn off the car, the camera turns off."

Assuming you having the camera-sounds ON, the camera plays the same jingle while deactivating as it does when activating. Did it do that?

Apparently, you are a theoretical physicist. LOL! ;)
The man wrote:
I wear my underpants inside my trousers. That, and the fact that I can talk to girls, mean that I am not a theoretical physicist.

But, back to the problem, the camera isn't off is it?

Hello IcEWoLF.

Assuming you having the camera-sounds ON, the camera plays the same jingle while deactivating as it does when activating. Did it do that?
Yes, been waiting for the sound and then exiting the car to ensure it goes off.

Something is causing the camera to turn on.

I changed the sd card yesterday, we shall see if this occurs again in the next few days.

I drive a 2022 x3m.

What method do you use to supply power? Your problem is that the camera cannot be turned off even if you have turned off the car. So you have not enabled the parking mode, right? The camera will just turn on when there is a power supply, so you need to check if there is a power supply remaining after turning off the car. If the camera is hardwired, please check if you have connected the yellow cable to a circuit that supplies constant power not to an ignition fuse. If you use the car charger, it may be the connector that can still supply power even if the ignition is off.

What method do you use to supply power? Your problem is that the camera cannot be turned off even if you have turned off the car. So you have not enabled the parking mode, right? The camera will just turn on when there is a power supply, so you need to check if there is a power supply remaining after turning off the car. If the camera is hardwired, please check if you have connected the yellow cable to a circuit that supplies constant power not to an ignition fuse. If you use the car charger, it may be the connector that can still supply power even if the ignition is off.

The cam goes off when I turn off the car and leave. The issue is that when I get back to the car the cam for some reason is turned on. Something is caused the cam to go online. I just don’t know what.

I had the cam installed professionally. I don’t know how to answer your question about the cable. This just occurs randomly, not all the times.

I’d say the most I’ve had occur is 3 times in a week.

So far no issues using the VIOFO sd card. It’s been 3 days but will need more time to test.

I’ll report back in a week or two.

I had the cam installed professionally. I don’t know how to answer your question about the cable. This just occurs randomly, not all the times.
I suggest you talk to the installer. The camera is incapable of generating its own power, so if it's receiving power when it shouldn't be then it'll be caused by the supply - ie the wiring connecting the camera to the car.

I had my A139 Pro installed by a company that usually installs aftermarket audio systems. They hadn't installed a dash cam in a 2023 Audi S3 before but found two unused (in my car's configuration at least) fuse sockets for driving and parking modes using the Viofo cable kit. I have had no problems in the two months I've had it. I'm using the card pictured below.

They did warn me that if I did experience problems, it could be that they had chosen the wrong fuse socket, as certain circuits in today's cars, depending on the model and its options, are timed to turn on or off after a fixed period by the car's computer after the car itself is turned on of off.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 110838.jpg

Yes, a lot of cars' (esp BMWs) fuses are NOT switched so they won’t power off when you turn your car off.

It gets trickier because even the switched fuses in BMWs stay ON for ~5min after the car is turned off.

Suggestion: With the car running and camera running, turn off the car (somewhere there’s no activity to trigger your camera to record during parking).
Sit in your vehicle for 5+min. The camera should power off.

If not it may not be using the correct fuse. You can test if it’s a camera issue by swapping the power from USB/hardwire to the 12v adapter and re-trying the test.

$0.02..

Okay, been about two weeks since I switched back to the VIOFO micro sd card and no issues. /knock on wood.

I’ll report back to this thread if it occurs again.

I don’t have parking mode on.
I noticed maybe 1 out of 6 times the next day the dashcam is on and it’s frozen and it won’t turn off and I have to manually unplug it to reset it.

I have a bmw x3m. Not sure what might be causing this issue. To the point where I might just simply consider unplugging the cable to avoid this issue.
all of you who are experiencing the problem are using a permanent power connection incl. HK3-C and parking mode is off or on. Or the option is to have the power permanently on. Describe exactly how the power is connected and the parking mode setting option

I had my A139 Pro installed by a company that usually installs aftermarket audio systems. They hadn't installed a dash cam in a 2023 Audi S3 before but found two unused (in my car's configuration at least) fuse sockets for driving and parking modes using the Viofo cable kit. I have had no problems in the two months I've had it. I'm using the card pictured below.

They did warn me that if I did experience problems, it could be that they had chosen the wrong fuse socket, as certain circuits in today's cars, depending on the model and its options, are timed to turn on or off after a fixed period by the car's computer after the car itself is turned on of off.

View attachment 66076
I also have a 2023 Audi S3 and it is driving me insane getting Parking mode to work. I have a A129 plus. Parking mode will stay on for maybe 5 minutes then shut off and it’s downright irritating. The problem is even always on fuses want to shut off after a few minutes (or seconds).

I also have a 2023 Audi S3 and it is driving me insane getting Parking mode to work. I have a A129 plus. Parking mode will stay on for maybe 5 minutes then shut off and it’s downright irritating. The problem is even always on fuses want to shut off after a few minutes (or seconds).
These are the fuse positions my guy used.Audio Illusion.jpg

Back