Sometimes won't trun on

knapp7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 new Viofo cameras, an A119 and an A119S, both of which are only 1 week old. So far the A119 has worked flawlessly. The A119S however began not turning on when I started the car a couple of days after I installed it. It was hooked up to a GPS mount and hardwired to the fuse box. If I wiggled the camera or power cable it eventually re-started. But soon there after it would not start again, or else shut off moments after it did start. So I plugged the power cable directly into the camera bypassing the GPS mount and the camera worked more reliably, but after a day or 2 the camera would not turn on again. So I switched cameras, and moved the A119S to the rear window where the GPS mount was connected to a cigarette output jack. Since then the A119 has worked perfectly on the front window GPS mount where the A119S previously had trouble. However the A119S began experiencing the same intermittent start up problems on the rear window GPS mount that it had on the front. So I have once again plugged the power cable into the A119S camera bypassing the GPS. After 1 day it has not repeated the old start up problems, but I need more time to see how this works long term. Since the A119S records GPS data even when the power cable is connected to the camera (and not the GPS mount), I am wondering if power goes back into the GPS unit from the camera (so the GPS unit works to provide data to the camera) and the A119S might have some connection issue with the GPS mount pins since it seems to eventually fail regardless of where the power cord is connected. Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this make sense.

Here is an update. The A119S has worked properly since connecting the power cable directly to it instead of the GPS mount. Today however the A119 also stopped working when I started the car. So I plugged that power cord into the camera too and it immediately started. At this point I am clueless as to why this is happening on two Viofo cameras that are only 1 week old.

Nonetheless I am sorry I bought Viofo cameras and certainly won't make that mistake again.

You have them both hard wired? What kit did you use?

The front camera is hard wired with a "no name" kit the vendor supplied with the camera. Both cameras stopped working when this was connected to the GPS mount. The A119S also stopped working once when it was connected to the camera instead of the GPS mount. The rear camera is powered by Viofo's Cigarette Adapter Power Cable. The A119s also stopped working when this cable was connected to the GPS unit, but has worked correctly since it was connected directly to the camera ... so far.

For the front camera, I would use the USB adapter and cable supplied with the camera until you get this sorted. Possible the hardwire kit is under powering the camera. The USB adapter does not fit well in certain cars, causing intermittent power or no power. So, make sure the blue light on the adapter lights without any flickering. Maybe wiggle it around a little to make sure the power connection is solid. Since the GPS functions work whether you power through the GPS mount or the camera, I would power through the camera for now. If after powering both cameras with the supplied USB adapter and USB cable the cameras appear to functioning OK (give it a few days), then maybe start changing one thing at a time to see what happens. Maybe move the power on the front camera to the GPS mount and see what happens.
There is a ribbon cable in the camera that routes power from the GPS mount to the camera. Some users have had issues where the cable wasn't seated properly. After removing the cable and re-seating it, the camera was fine. Also possible that the GPS mount is faulty. I would think it would be unlikely that you would receive 2 cameras (different models too) that would both have the same ribbon cable issue, but you never know I guess. It's also possible that you have multiple issues causing similar things. Front camera issue could be the hardwire kit. Rear issue could be ribbon cable issue. Frustrating I'm sure, but you'll need to narrow it down since the cameras themselves could be fine and replacements would do the same thing.

Hey, thanks for the advice. My electrical engineering brother in law also suggested I verify the voltage coming off the hardwire kit, especially since one camera stopped working when it was connected directly to that wire and not thru the GPS mount. I'm trying to find out how to do that right now. And I'll watch for the blue light to verify a solid connection from now on. Honestly didn't think of that B4. If the cameras operate with the power cable going to them instead of the GPS unit, I can live with that. But man if I open the cameras and find a poorly attached ribbon cable, all the more reason to avoid a Viofo, imho.

Figured out how to test the hardwire cable today. Providing 5.4V's to the camera.

Figured out how to test the hardwire cable today. Providing 5.4V's to the camera.
Is that with the camera drawing power from it? Did you test for a period of time or just do a quick test? I wonder how steady the voltage is over time.

Yes, drawing power. Started the car 3 times. 5.4 every time

For the front camera, I would use the USB adapter and cable supplied with the camera

Interestingly, the Viofo USB adapter was the culprit when I was blaming a 12V splitter from AliExpress - there was no power to the adapter. Using a Kensington USB adapter fixed it.

Interestingly, the Viofo USB adapter was the culprit when I was blaming a 12V splitter from AliExpress - there was no power to the adapter. Using a Kensington USB adapter fixed it.
Yeah, the included adapter is an issue for some users with certain cars. It's fine for most users though.

Yeah, the included adapter is an issue for some users with certain cars.

It was fine with the car's 12V socket directly, but not via a splitter with the same socket. A Kensington Dual 2A USB directly or via the same splitter was fine.

It has been several days now that both cameras have operated perfectly with the power cords connected directly to the camera and not the GPS mount. The longer this goes on, the more those darn GPS mounts are looking to be the problem.

Has anyone seen @viofo here to answer a few concerns that some members have. Some posters are really upset so I hope viofo comes on and discuses a few remedies.

Here is an update. The A119S has worked properly since connecting the power cable directly to it instead of the GPS mount. Today however the A119 also stopped working when I started the car. So I plugged that power cord into the camera too and it immediately started. At this point I am clueless as to why this is happening on two Viofo cameras that are only 1 week old.

Nonetheless I am sorry I bought Viofo cameras and certainly won't make that mistake again.
Just put this @ in front of viofo and maybe he will help you

It has been several days now that both cameras have operated perfectly with the power cords connected directly to the camera and not the GPS mount. The longer this goes on, the more those darn GPS mounts are looking to be the problem.
Could be the mounts or the ribbon cable. I would let it ride for a little while longer, then change one camera (plug into gps mount) and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys, but I threw in the towel today. Camera quit recording GPS information as it recorded video. Sent both Viofo cameras back to the seller for a refund. So sorry I bought Viofo. Now to find a reliable replacement ....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T A119S 17
Back