Sony new sensor 0.005 lux

Impressive!!! I remember when the first CCD and MOS sensors came out, I believe they needed LOTS of light to work correctly.

"The sensor is a 1/3-inch type with 1.27 megapixels"

Less than optimal pixel count :oops: but i am sure this is just the 1 step.

The ideal dash cam is to shoot a movie to be lit entirely by moonlight, as the one presented here:
:D

The ideal dash cam is to shoot a movie to be lit entirely by moonlight, as the one presented here:
:D
I tried that on the Mini 0803, but needed to add a little extra fire light:

Fireworks.jpg

Battle.jpg

That's not dark, someone send a sample to me and I'll get some dark video lol! That sample video locations is so bright the car does not even need headlights on for parts of it I swear.

I have very nice bright headlights, and some very, very dark roads so it would be an interesting test of the newer sensors. Night performance is the biggest area that cameras in general need improved, both in dash cameras and in IP CCTV cameras.

"The sensor is a 1/3-inch type with 1.27 megapixels"

Less than optimal pixel count :oops: but i am sure this is just the 1 step.

1280 x 720 is only 921,600 pixels, so it's not enough for 1920 x 1080, BUT is good enough for the next step down. Like you, I agree this is only the first step.

I agree we need better CMOS chips, and it can be done right now if some one teamed up with that professor and his graphene nano stuff i once linked to.

1000 X more light sensetive chips he claim :cool: 120 FPS at night, and so sensetive instead of a active IR filter like in CCTV cameras the dashcam would need a active filter to not over expose footage during the day at ISO 100 and 1:10,000 shutter speed :D

So sensetive that during recording daytime footage at 120 FPS, most of the time the camera is waiting for permission to take the next picture :)

That's not dark, someone send a sample to me and I'll get some dark video
Dark or not i'll enjoy 5 minutes of a Shuto Expressway cruse in what looks to be a Mazda RX-7 any day

Back