Speed Cams not being recognised

Bulletguy

Reaction score
On downloading the Speed cams from Mios database and driving through a few cameras in my locality, i'm puzzled as to why the DVR is only giving an alert when driving past a speed cam where it's sited at the nearside of my vehicle. Approaching from the other direction, with speed camera on vehicle offside, it doesn't pick it up.

Why is this??

My Satnav recognises speed cams irrespective of which side of the road the cam is sited on.....as it should do........so why isn't the Mio?

Last edited:
in Australia that would be considered a feature, why tell you about a speed camera that is pointed in the opposite direction and not at you

in Australia that would be considered a feature, why tell you about a speed camera that is pointed in the opposite direction and not at you

In this country a fixed speed cam is sited on one side of the road only......but it covers both sides of the road. It matters not whether the camera is pointing away or at you because the section of road the camera covers (both sides remember) is shown on the road by white striped markings. My GPS gives alerts on approaching speed cams......irrespective of which way the cam is facing. Having driven extensively throughout Europe i can also say this isn't unique to UK. Every country i've driven in works that way.

I've tried to explain as clearly as i can but somehow i don't think you've understood what i'm saying. I would upload a photograph to show precisely the point i'm getting at if i could but this forum doesn't appear to 'like' photographs!

no I get what you are saying, no need for photos, you didn't get what I was saying, our cameras only record speed in the one direction, for Australia it would be considered a feature that eliminates false positives

no I get what you are saying, no need for photos, you didn't get what I was saying, our cameras only record speed in the one direction, for Australia it would be considered a feature that eliminates false positives

Ah right in that case that is definitely unique then! First i've heard of anyway. Germany, France, Austria, Poland, Czech, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary......even Romania and Bulgaria.....all work on the same principle/method to ours here.

Ah right in that case that is definitely unique then! First i've heard of anyway. Germany, France, Austria, Poland, Czech, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary......even Romania and Bulgaria.....all work on the same principle/method to ours here.

the simple answer here was just more cameras, they rake in that much money every day that the government love the 'safety' they deliver, not about the revenue of course

I will say though that we do have signs in both directions on some even though the camera works one way and not the other

the simple answer here was just more cameras, they rake in that much money every day that the government love the 'safety' they deliver, not about the revenue of course

I will say though that we do have signs in both directions on some even though the camera works one way and not the other

It's long been a bitter contentious issue here too as when they were first introduced the Police thought they would benefit financially but they were wrong. The Government take the money. It's just another means of grabbing more money from the motorist. The irony is that the cams we use were designed by a Dutch rally driver, Maurice Gatsonides who set up a company in 1958 called Gatsometer BV. Probably made him a multi millionaire!

We have signs on both sides, but the cam beam covers all. We also have 'fake' signs on some stretches of roads indicating there are speed cameras, when there aren't even any there! The worst type though are what we call 'mobile cams' and these will be fitted inside a van which will park up often where they can't be seen. I got caught by one of those and the damn thing was parked away from the road hidden by buildings. I was NOT particularly happy about that at all.

oh yeah we have the mobile vans too, they're hated with a passion, even going as far as this https://www.facebook.com/www.blockthiershot.come?fref=ts

they're run by a bank, how disgusting is that

At least he's visible at the roadside. The one that got me was hidden away behind two buildings but with enough space for the laser to find a spot. It was totally impossible to see the van from the road. I only found out exactly where it had been sited when the penalty charge came through and there was a phone number on so i called them and they told me. I even went to the place where the van had been (a block of industrial work units) and one of the men working there told me the "mobile cam" van often parked there and they make a fortune. My speed was a mind blowing 46mph in a 40 area!

Coming in to this a bit late.....the original satnav I had warned me of cameras on both sided of the highway, but when I bought a newer (TomTom) version a couple of years back, it only warns of cameras on the near side.

I have a vague recollection that the cameras (in the UK) were not allowed to take a photo of on-coming vehicles - because the flash could 'blind' the driver - but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Coming in to this a bit late.....the original satnav I had warned me of cameras on both sided of the highway, but when I bought a newer (TomTom) version a couple of years back, it only warns of cameras on the near side.

I have a vague recollection that the cameras (in the UK) were not allowed to take a photo of on-coming vehicles - because the flash could 'blind' the driver - but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Read up more on this since posting and it's proved interesting. You are right! It all depends on what type of speed camera is used. In UK we use two types...the Gatso and Truvelo. All explained in this link here; http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/gatso.htm
However my GPS will read a speed cam in either direction and that's why i wondered why the DVR wasn't! I still don't fancy trying it out to see if the Gatso really does only pick up one direction though!

Back