Start - stop tech issue

ianm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x DR500GW-HD
I have 2 x DR500gw-hd both fitted with power magic pro's, the problem I have is the one that's fitted into my Tourareg with start-stop keeps shutting it's self down and when the engine restarts the DR500 restarts.
This would be ok if it was not in heavy London traffic when I most need it, sods law says that some twat will hit me whilst it is restarting. :mad:

I know some will say turn off the start-stop function, but then my fuel costs will increase, does anybody know if the manufacturers will be looking into this issue? o_O

Take voltage tester and find fuses of constant power and ACC ( especially ACC / ignition ) that are not switching off when car is going into stop / start mode. Use those fuses points to connect your power-magic pro.

Quite simply you have the Yellow wire connected to the wrong source.

Find an ALWAYS ON connection.

THAT MEANS NEVER TURNS OFF and it will work properly.

Its not a manufacturers problem its an ID ten T problem LOL

My other DR500 shuts down when you unlock the doors and don't start the engine straight away.

I have 2 x DR500gw-hd both fitted with power magic pro's, the problem I have is the one that's fitted into my Tourareg with start-stop keeps shutting it's self down and when the engine restarts the DR500 restarts.
This would be ok if it was not in heavy London traffic when I most need it, sods law says that some twat will hit me whilst it is restarting. :mad:

I know some will say turn off the start-stop function, but then my fuel costs will increase, does anybody know if the manufacturers will be looking into this issue? o_O

Does it shut down or go into parking mode?

It is quite obvious that they are installed INCORRECTLY

It is quite obvious that they are installed INCORRECTLY

Please tell me how you know that they are quite obviously installed incorrectly and why did you shout it?

You do not how know my installations where done and unless you are an expert in start/stop tech ie: are a senior tech at Audi/VW and or Infiniti, please keep your unhelpful comments to yourself....!

Please tell me how you know that they are quite obviously installed incorrectly and why did you shout it?

You do not how know my installations where done and unless you are an expert in start/stop tech ie: are a senior tech at Audi/VW and or Infiniti, please keep your unhelpful comments to yourself....!

share a bit more info about how they're installed and you might get some more constructive responses, I would lean toward it being an install issue though, even professional installers get stuff like this wrong

Its quite obvious if its shutting down at the wrong time. I was emphasizing not shouting.

Whoever installed it has wired it to the wrong place in the vehicle.

You gave us half the info and expect us to do brain surgery over the phone with a blindfold on to fix the problem

No Im not a senior tech but I have installed 6 of these cameras, hardwired into 5 different vehicles including a front and a rear in my new Passat and a Polo, so yes I do understand VW electrics.

I must know something as all mine work perfectly.

Does the person who installed them understand VW computerized systems, Maybe not???

You come on here knowing nothing and asking for advice and when we attempt to help you, you are rude.

So take your cameras and go somewhere else for help. We are done here I have no further interest in your problem.

Fix it yourself if you are so certain we don't know anything. It seems the ID tenT syndrome is alive and well.

Last edited:
Well thank you Hillbilly for your input.

I was not rude but you have been, so it seems to be true that you are the font of all knowledge because you have installed six cameras and you are now the the word wide expert on all cars and cameras....!
I just wish that I had just a small amount of your arrogance to be so sure. If this offends you, then job done. W@*k*r

Ha Ha I'm not offended by the likes of you.

The fact remains My Cameras work properly Yours don't.

3 other posters lean toward the same solution.

Must be some truth in it.

The last post on this topic is more than an year old and did not quite end in the way one would expect in an otherwise friendly forum :) I am bringing this topic again as I face the same issue with Blackvue 550 and Power Magic Pro. I have connected the cam to +, ACC,GND correctly (as far as I know). The park mode also works fine. When the power is under 12V, the PMP cuts the power off and switches off the cam as expected. If I drive the car when the power is already below 12V and the Start-Stop cuts in, the cam switches off and switches on when the car starts again. This goes on until the car runs for a while and the battery is above 12V. This is quite annoying, although I guess, this is the correct behavior of PMP. Some of the previous posters mentioned this to be an installation problem. If any of you are still active on this topic, could you please explain why you feel it to be an installation issue?

The workaround I have thought about is to keep the cutoff voltage at 22.8V (so that it doesn't cut off) and set the timer for 6h.

Last edited:
Firstly what car is this in. If you put the cutoff at 22 v the PMP will never turn ON as your battery will never ever get to that voltage.

It turns off when it gets below the voltage that is set and back on when it gets above it so you would need a 24 v system if you did that.

If you are having trouble as you say the best way around it is to take your permanent power either direct from the + battery terminal or use a meter and find a spare fuse socket that has power PERMANENTLY.

In my VW's there are several that have that and some that turn off with ACC as well. Just remember that some may take 5 mins or so to shut off.

I tested them, went away for 30 mins and checked again to make sure it still had power

I bought fuses with wires attached and just stuck them into the spare sockets and they work perfectly. My Passat has stop start and it never affects the cameras.

I would get your battery tested as well as it shouldn't get down that far unless its dying.

As far as the previous posts are concerned well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We tried but weren't listened to.

Thanks for the quick answer. I wanted to post the installation details of my PMP in my last post but couldn't just find the thread I wrote an year back. Sorry for that. I finally found it. Here are the details with images http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14880083&postcount=36

Regarding your suggestion,
If you are having trouble as you say the best way around it is to take your permanent power either direct from the + battery terminal or use a meter and find a spare fuse socket that has power PERMANENTLY.

The Battery(+) I have used has permanent power and ACC cuts off few mins after the engine is turned off. Do you mean that there are ACC fuses which turns off when engine is OFF but remains ON when the engine is OFF (only) due to Start-Stop? Would appreciate if you could explain this point.
If I connect Battery (+) and ACC to permanent power, PMP will never switch to Park mode right? It needs to know that the engine is OFF.

I do mostly sort distance travel with my car (except for weekends). This could be the reason that my battery never gets charged to a healthy state. When the engine is running PMP gets 14+V from alternator and hence doesn't seem to shut down. I will nevertheless get my 2 year old battery checked during my next workshop visit.

I appreciate your efforts to help here. One suggestion would be to stop using CAPS and unnecessary extended exclamations. After clocking 1000+ posts, I hope you know that such things on forums == SHOUTING!!!!!!

Last edited:
.I am fully conversant with etiquette. I was emphasizing rather than shouting. Also the exclamation marks reflect what I felt about the previous posts.

Your post has a fair smattering of both. Pot and Kettle?

Are we going to debate that or do you want an answer to your problem.

I have looked at your other thread and all I can see wrong from the pics is your voltage (two lh dips) should be up for 12v cutoff seems you have time set for 48 hours.

I meant there are both permanent and acc switched spare sockets in most fuse blocks and that's what I use in all the cars I have installed cameras in. (And what you seem to have used but maybe not the correct acc one.)
So you find a permanent for the parking wire and an acc one for the power. The acc should stay on unless the key is turned off, regardless of stop start. That is what keeps the camera going. The wire from the perm power keeps the parking mode going until altered by the pm.

When the car turns off the pm switches to parking mode and stays on for either the time its set to or the voltage drop setting whichever comes first. Shouldn't turn off.

Really it should stay on until the pm shuts it off. My rear camera stays on for an hour and then shuts down. The front camera doesn't run through the pm but doesn't shut off when the start stop is in effect. It turns off when I kill the ignition only. Which means my acc feed is not controlled by whichever things the ss shuts down when it does its thing.

I would have the battery checked also as if its dropping below what the pm is set at when you stop it will turn off and should be the only time it does. However it would then perhaps make the car slow to start due to low voltage Set the pm at 11.6v and see what happens.

Does that make sense. Harder to read with no caps. LOL

Last edited:
Thank a lot for the detailed answer, really appreciate that.

First the non-technical part. You could see for yourself that I misunderstood your usage of caps and exclamations. Maybe it's a hint to move on to other ways of highlighting which are not misunderstood on forums. Matter of taste and this is up to you. Also I could perfectly read your thread even without usage caps :)

Back to the technical part of the discussion. Don't confuse yourself with the PMP settings in my post. Those were taken soon after installation and was before I configured PMP. I have configured them currently to 12V and 6hrs (6hrs because the complex energy management module in BMW detects stray current and kicks in before PMP could do anything).

I am trying to understand the basics here. Once again, my situation is as follows.

On a fully charged battery,
the Blackvue correctly records when the car is moving,
the Blackvue correctly switches to Park mode when the car is parked,
the Blackue still records as normal when start-stop stops the car.
No issues here.

I park the car overnight and the voltage drops below 12V. In this state
the Blackue (and PMP) switches off as PMP detects voltage below 12V (again perfect),
the Blackvue switches off when start-stop stops the car. *

*This is my problem, for which I am trying to find a solution. If the voltage is below 12V and the alterator is no more working (as engine is off during start-stop), how can any fuse keep PMP on? There is at that moment no power source in the car which is supplying above 12V. After the problem happens and I run the car for few mins and let the battery voltage go above 12V (checked with OBDII), the problem vanishes.

I expect a blackbox to be on all the time and this makes me look for a solution, although the duration/frequency this happens is really less.

First the non-technical part. You could see for yourself that I misunderstood your usage of caps and exclamations. Maybe it's a hint to move on to other ways of highlighting which are not misunderstood on forums. Matter of taste and this is up to you. Also I could perfectly read your thread even without usage caps :)

Back to the technical part of the discussion. Don't confuse yourself with the PMP settings in my post. Those were taken soon after installation and was before I configured PMP. I have configured them currently to 12V and 6hrs (6hrs because the complex energy management module in BMW detects stray current and kicks in before PMP could do anything).

I am trying to understand the basics here. Once again, my situation is as follows.

No issues here.

the Blackue (and PMP) switches off as PMP detects voltage below 12V (again perfect),

*This is my problem, for which I am trying to find a solution. If the voltage is below 12V and the alterator is no more working (as engine is off during start-stop), how can any fuse keep PMP on? There is at that moment no power source in the car which is supplying above 12V. After the problem happens and I run the car for few mins and let the battery voltage go above 12V (checked with OBDII), the problem vanishes.

I expect a blackbox to be on all the time and this makes me look for a solution, although the duration/frequency this happens is really less.
Get your battery checked it shouldn't drop that much overnight mine will start car after a week not being used
Change pm to11.6 v and try it. A fully charged battery should be 13.8v

Last edited:

No issues here.

Hi Nirmal,

Am I right in assuming that you have configured this correctly and that the dashcam continues to record when you have stopped at the lights with your engine stopped?

I currently have it connected to 3 and 12 in the glove box of a BMW F10. 3 being the ODB (Perm live) and 12 being the internal lights (ACC+). When I enter the car, the dashcam boots up but if I press the start button without turning the engine on (dash all lights up) then the dashcam seems to just turn off.
I also use the PMP Pro and is set to cut out at 11.6V and 6 hours.

Any help to allow recording to continue working when engine stops (but ignition still on) would be really appreciative.

Thanks!

check your permanent feed, using a PMP it shouldn't cut regardless when accessory circuit goes off unless your permanent power is cutting out also

check your permanent feed, using a PMP it shouldn't cut regardless when accessory circuit goes off unless your permanent power is cutting out also

Thanks Jokiin. I thought the ODB feed should be permanent? Would that not be the case? I have had the circuit tester on it and seems to be still supplying power.

Back