Start-up Problem: Solid white/green LED

David Fuchs

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Today my FineVu CR500HD won't start up. All the LEDs on it light up (white, green, red) but they are solid and not blinking as usual.

Pressing the tiny reset button with a paperclip causes the LEDs to turn off while the button is depressed, but once it's released they just go solid again. I formatted the SD card and put it back, but it behaves the same.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I gave it a shot by holding down the power button and pressing the little reset button with a paperclip three times, but it didn't change anything.

I tried this to no avail with an empty SD card (as they described), as well as with an SD card loaded with firmware, and without an SD card installed.

I had this happen to my first unit, never got it working. The seller took it back and sent me a replacement

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I have contacted the company I bought it from (FineVu USA Co.). They were quick to respond and let me know that I would have to send it back to them. I was issued an RMA number at the same time and have sent it back for a replacement.

I am having the same issue, after 5 months of use and now it has started with this issue... Alex from Blackboxmycar.com is hopfully sorting a replacement but by all accounts Finevu are not really responding to the video clip I sent him of the issue... I have updated the software and its still the same...

I got a replacement back from FineVu USA Co. and they attached a link to the latest firmware and asked me to flash it right away. It's possible the issue was resolved in the firmware at some point.

I was actually unable to update my device, as it wouldn't boot at all. But if, as you say, you are still able to update your device, then maybe this will help - these are the instructions I got from FineVu USA Co. when they sent me a replacement:

Firmware Version: 2.02.100
Release Date: October, 22. 2013
Major Changes: Disable Auto recording (records for 30 seconds when the power is off) and reduce Standby mode from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.
Download link: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0223/3601/files/CR-500HD_Firmware_v2.02.100_eng.zip?1507

Updating the firmware on your CR-500HD (short version):
1. Format the microSD card.
2. Load the microSD card with the 6 files found in the firmware zip file.
3. The CR-500HD will recognize the new firmware files and update itself on its next boot up; all lights on the device will stay lit for up to 3 minutes during the update.

Updating the firmware on your CR-500HD (long version):
1. Back up any important files on the dash cam to a safe location.
2. Leave the microSD card inside your CR-500HD and connect the device to your computer with the USB to micro-USB cable.
3. The device should appear in your computer as a “Removable Disk” or like any other USB memory card does. Right click on its icon and Format the card (Default FAT 32, Quick Format).
4. Download the latest firmware from http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0223/3601/files/CR-500HD_Firmware_v2.02.100_eng.zip?1507
5. Open the firmware zip file and drag the six files into the microSD card
6. Unplug the USB cable from the CR-500HD and allow it to shut off.
7. The CR-500HD will recognize the new firmware files and update itself on its next boot up. At this point, you can choose to either re-plug your device to your computer with the USB cable, or connect it directly in your car. The device will boot up and all lights will stay lit for up to 3 minutes while updating.
8. The firmware file will now be installed and ready to go. You will notice that if you connect the CR-500HD to your computer via USB, the folder will now show directories as well as the configuration software. You can open the text file called “ver.txt” to verify the firmware version.

I got a replacement back from FineVu USA Co. and they attached a link to the latest firmware and asked me to flash it right away. It's possible the issue was resolved in the firmware at some point.

I was actually unable to update my device, as it wouldn't boot at all. But if, as you say, you are still able to update your device, then maybe this will help - these are the instructions I got from FineVu USA Co. when they sent me a replacement:

Firmware Version: 2.02.100
Release Date: October, 22. 2013
Major Changes: Disable Auto recording (records for 30 seconds when the power is off) and reduce Standby mode from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.
Download link: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0223/3601/files/CR-500HD_Firmware_v2.02.100_eng.zip?1507

Updating the firmware on your CR-500HD (short version):
1. Format the microSD card.
2. Load the microSD card with the 6 files found in the firmware zip file.
3. The CR-500HD will recognize the new firmware files and update itself on its next boot up; all lights on the device will stay lit for up to 3 minutes during the update.

Updating the firmware on your CR-500HD (long version):
1. Back up any important files on the dash cam to a safe location.
2. Leave the microSD card inside your CR-500HD and connect the device to your computer with the USB to micro-USB cable.
3. The device should appear in your computer as a “Removable Disk” or like any other USB memory card does. Right click on its icon and Format the card (Default FAT 32, Quick Format).
4. Download the latest firmware from http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0223/3601/files/CR-500HD_Firmware_v2.02.100_eng.zip?1507
5. Open the firmware zip file and drag the six files into the microSD card
6. Unplug the USB cable from the CR-500HD and allow it to shut off.
7. The CR-500HD will recognize the new firmware files and update itself on its next boot up. At this point, you can choose to either re-plug your device to your computer with the USB cable, or connect it directly in your car. The device will boot up and all lights will stay lit for up to 3 minutes while updating.
8. The firmware file will now be installed and ready to go. You will notice that if you connect the CR-500HD to your computer via USB, the folder will now show directories as well as the configuration software. You can open the text file called “ver.txt” to verify the firmware version.

Thanks David will give it a try... will let you know if it works... Fingers crossed

I had the same issue on one of My CR-500HD's I installed a second unit so I could have a front and rear camera worked great for the first few days but the new camera (latest firmware) would not power up correctly switched cameras ie front to back and have not had any issues since. I switched the cameras back to their original orientation and still have not seen the error again.

my guess is it was to cold on the days I had the error and the camera in the back of the car (subaru forester) must have been colder then the front car.

I had the same issue on one of My CR-500HD's I installed a second unit so I could have a front and rear camera worked great for the first few days but the new camera (latest firmware) would not power up correctly switched cameras ie front to back and have not had any issues since. I switched the cameras back to their original orientation and still have not seen the error again.

my guess is it was to cold on the days I had the error and the camera in the back of the car (subaru forester) must have been colder then the front car.

Hi, My CR500 was in the front of the car and the car was garaged, so not as cold as if the car was parked outside on the drive, I too have purchased a 2nd CR500 for the rear, and have had the front one replaced under warranty, so far no problems but then again the problem started after 6 months of use.
So who know's if it will start again in another 6 months. Hopefully not...

Back