Stealthy, internally hidden front-facing camera

Tempest XE S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while but my first time posting.

I'm looking for a discreet front facing dashcam and the best way to go about fitting it. When I say hidden, I mean more from the position of the driver and passengers rather than externally. I'm not as worried about people being able to see it from the outside, although discreet would be the preference, I'm mainly worried about being able to see the camera and/or cables from the inside of the car.

Essentially, I don't want to know it's there until the time comes when I need it. My cigarette lighter is also located in the centre console, which means leading cables to it is something I'd like to avoid if possible as I don't want to see any cables. I'm not sure on what that would mean in terms of powering it, whether it can go directly via the car's battery I don't know.

I'd also like avoid spending more than £100 if possible.

Any suggestions?

This will hide behind the mirror in almost all cars, it is smaller than it looks, I can hide three out of sight behind my mirror:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07RXQLV5C

You will have to run a power cable, but it can normally be hidden reasonably easily behind the trim. If you don't have a convenient hidden accessory power socket in your car that turns off with the ignition, then you might also want the suggested HK3 hardwire kit to go with it.

You might also have a look at the B1W, a very discreet 'tube' cam which looks to most to be a sensor of some kind made with the car. Use a hardwire kit to avoid the ciggie socket plug issue. Decent vids day and night, and a bargain-price value. Cheaper but not as good at night is the 70Mai; it has some issues setting it up but it is the cheapest cam I can recommend in good conscience.

Do keep in mind that any cam needs to be where the lens 'sees' through where the windshield wipers cover while driving in the rain. This can weight your choices considerably.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V What Should I Buy? 20
F What Should I Buy? 22
Back