Newbie Looking for Stealthy Parking Cam

Franklyidc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Been lurking on these forums for a while but I finally registered and I'm a point where I need some help.

So recently someone backed up into the front of my car, dented the nose panel and part of the hood, and drove off. I'm in NYC so with nothing but parallel parking, this is becoming all too common. Although I have an older car, I'd like to protect my investment and decided it's time to get a dash cam.

Here's what I'm mainly looking for:
- Buffered Park Mode
- Decent video quality day/night
- Discreet, also prefer adhesive vs suction mounts
- Willing to spend about $200

Some cameras that have caught my eye:
- Black Vue DR3500, much older model and I like the mounting and form factor, but doesn't seem to have much support and quality. Also looked at the DR650GW-1CH but I'm not confident in the brand and product for the price.
- Street Guardian SGZC12RC, Very Stealthy but Id have to consider where to mount the monitor. Not something I'd like to leave out.
- SGZC12SS, not as stealthy but seems to hit my marks
- Vantrue R2, very good picture quality from what I've seen but may be too noticeable from the outside.

Once it's all said and done, I will be purchasing a hardwire kit, like a Power Magic Pro and the highest capacity card I can fit. Just to clarify, although this will mainly be a parking cam for me, I thought I may as well get something with decent video quality to use down the road as well.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,
- Street Guardian SGZC12RC, Very Stealthy but Id have to consider where to mount the monitor. Not something I'd like to leave out.

Welcome to DCT forum !

Many people hide main unit into the glove-box.

Thanks for the useful tip. Definitely something I would do.

So should I completely write off both Black Vue's? Any particular reasons why? Like I said I do like the form factor and parking mode seems to be good.

What are your thoughts on the SGZC12SS? Does it compare well to the RC? Only asking because it's a bit cheaper.

How about Mobius C2? Doesn't have a true park mode but it seems people have made it work with capacitors and motion detection.

How about Mobius C2? Doesn't have a true park mode but it seems people have made it work with capacitors and motion detection.
Mobius C2 is good all around dvr, but one of you wishes was buffered recording, which Mobius does not have.

Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure of all of its features yet.

Looks like the SGZC12RC is hitting all the marks for me then.

Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure of all of its features yet.

Looks like the SGZC12RC is hitting all the marks for me then.

No problem.

Have an SG in the mail coming from Pier28. Install pics to come next week! :)

So I got some items in the mail today.

I have a question concerning the microSD card. I got a SanDisk Ultra 128gb off amazon, but one of reviews pointed out this was ideal for android devices, whereas the SanDisk Ultra PLUS is meant for digital cameras. Would I be okay with this for the dash cam? Or is this some sort of marketing ploy.

Link to the review in question:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2R3IF...&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc

Sandisk has "white edition" designed specifically for action- and dashcams.
Usually better to avoid other Sandisk memory card series with dashcams, but some DCT members have reported Ultra-series working fine for them.

Hi Niko,

Quick google search shows these are available in 32 and 64gb flavors. I'll give the current card I have a try first. Thanks!

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd
When first released they were only 32Gb, then they added 64 and soon be 128. I can assume they have developed and tested all 3 sizes ( 32, 64, 128, maybe even 256 ) at the same time, but from marketing POV its not worth for them to start releasing and selling all capacities at once.

When first released they were only 32Gb, then they added 64 and soon be 128. I can assume they have developed and tested all 3 sizes ( 32, 64, 128, maybe even 256 ) at the same time, but from marketing POV its not worth for them to start releasing and selling all capacities at once.

So what would you suggest? Should I just jump on this 64gb, intended for dashcams? It's currently $10 cheaper, but also 64gb less.

Your 128Gb Sandisk ultra has a warranty. I guess I would try out before jumping into 64. Maybe it will perform well.

if you have the 128gb card you could run it and see how it goes, Sandisk are not normally our go to brand

Back