Still a good buy?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading on here, and I know forums always talk about negative experiences rather than positive ones, seems a lot of problems with 522GW.

I’m thinking of getting the 522GW and fitting from Halfords this week, as I want the rear cam as well.

So although it’s now been out a while, and Nextbase have seemingly given up on their newer iQ that said would be released by now, wondering if still a good buy?

Thanks

why would you buys 108-p dash-cam for ~£150 or £90 more than it's worth?
Suggestions then please…. What’s up with a 1080 cam? Surely it’s better than none?

Go for it! Research more, but the 522GW with rear cam sounds like a good buy.
I’m even thinking of going for the 622GW now as an offer on, it’s 4K front, 1080 rear.

Just a lot of negatives in this forum, I know often post bad experiences rather than good mostly though.

Typically you will only get negatives on such a forum. Very few people will join then rant and rave how good they are. But look at the forum, from the multi thousands of units sold only a very few come on hear and moan. Of those that do a small % will be dud units, a few will be failing to read the instructions properly, some will also be not buying the recommended sd card and the remainder will be various from fitting to wifi to not performing as one was expecting.
Of course you never see a brand new car broken down or a product returned to Amazon.
I’ve now had a 522 with rear camera since they came out, yes the rear camera can be a pain but I adapted, I placed mine on the rear trim because the rear hatch shuts with such force the camera always fell off or moved. I rarely take it out of the car, summer or winter. It’s is hard wired in (by myself).
I don’t use the recommended sd card but do regularly format it. I don’t use the added extras ie Alexa, or dial an ambulance ( whatever it’s called). Neither do I use auto record when stationary, as I have yet to see a recorded rear end shunt at night that would show in sufficient detail who or what ran into it.
But what I do have is a very good unit that does what it is intended to do. It has never missed a beat, I like it very much, and hope yours is as good as mine.

I’ve now had a 522 with rear camera since they came out, yes the rear camera can be a pain but I adapted, I placed mine on the rear trim because the rear hatch shuts with such force the camera always fell off or moved.
Agree, not many come on and give praise, so I do understand that.

When you say rear camera is a pain, is it just the issue of it falling off, or not working/crashing etc?

I’ve read the instructions now and it does state to reformat every 2 weeks! I used to every once in a while on an old dash cam, maybe Nextbase are just a bit more susceptible to errors if not.

I can’t believe you HAVE to use their SD like they seem to blame all the time if people don’t, other SD are just as good, if not better, maybe just needs a reformat as above.

If you hardwired yourself, I’d be interested to know how hard it was, and which route you took for rear cam especially, I’ve another post, and wondered, basically I’m looking at running along top of pillars. Just worried on side airbags.

Thanks

The fitting/design is the pain, a golf ball held by a magnet‍♂️ . I was happy with the 512 rear camera but alas when they designed the 522 someone thought it was a bad idea to make it compatible. The rear camera again has never given me a problem other than unwanted movement( sorted).

Rear camera wiring. From the front camera I went under the lining front to back but as I have bags in the front pillars, I took the trim off to ensure the wire did not cross or impede the bag so my cable runs down the front pillar and back up with the bag between. At the rear end as stated I attached the camera to an internal trim as far back as I could( not directly to window), still shows good rear view coverage but is less obvious to see.
If you feel a picture would help with the rear pm me.

The Nextbase cameras are also battery cameras, so be ready to replace it some day in the not too distant future.
Also as i recall they are somewhat memory card fuzzy, so make sure to get a compatible one.

The Nextbase cameras are also battery cameras, so be ready to replace it some day in the not too distant future.
Also as i recall they are somewhat memory card fuzzy, so make sure to get a compatible one.
Is the battery for parking mode? So won’t matter if hardwired? Would it matter if battery went bad if hardwired if so?

In general how long are they lasting, I’ve read they can be replaced, by you or Nextbase.

Read about memory cards, instructions state to format every 2 weeks as well.

5 years on and I’m still on the original battery, so not looking to change it any day soon.

no it is still just a battery to finalize last recording in case of a major event where power might get lost, it is only a few 100 MAH so would not last long.

I had batteries last me well too, but others that only worked months ( less than a year )
Just like i have had memory cards ( 64 GB ) that i barely got to fill 1 time before they died on me, otherwise with my driving i generally get several years out of a memory card.

Making sure wire is around bags in pillars, there is enough length to do two if not three pillars, I have about 2 meters still tucked under the rear trim. I wanted to ensure that if the bags where activated there would be no pull on the camera.

Back