Street Guardian Best Model

Based on what I've been reading since I've been a member here, I think Street Guardian would be my preferred choice, but I'm still reading as much as I can and learning everyday.
Their customer service seems outstanding and I see someone with their logo helping users in other dashcam forums that are not even made by them?
I've been very happy with my Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO dual-cam (bought before they came out with the DR version). Both front and rear run at 1080p and provide nice clear video, especially with the included CPL polarized filter on the front cam. The rear cam doesn't come with a polarized filter but I found I didn't need it on my 2016 CR-V. I first bought a Nextbase camera (that uses an internal battery) but our in-car summertime temperatures were too much for it. The SG cams use a super-capacitor instead of a battery and I've never had a problem with my cam, even with parked temps of +150 F (65 C) at the camera (measured with a high quality digital thermometer). The SG customer service is excellent and quick to respond. And, yes, they post here on DCT to help folks who don't have SG cams.

It is sort of like my month long experiment comparing 2 similar cameras but the one recording 60 FPS, the times the 60FPS camera got a plate capture and the 30 FPS camera dident, well it was pretty much none existing.
So i had to revise my feeling at the time that 60 FPS cameras must be the next big thing in dashcams.
That's interesting.
When you say "similar cameras", were these the same exact camera model number from the same exact manufacturer running the same firmware?
Comparing a Viofo at 60 FPS with SG (or any other brand) at 30 FPS is not a valid test to base such a conclusion on as there is no control. Not even having the same image sensor among different manufacturers or models is enough as I'm sure every company tweaks their own firmware.
Now if this comparison was a Viofo A12345 running in 60 FPS vs another identical Viofo A12345 running in 30 FPS mode with the same firmware, then that is more scientific since it is comparing the same manufacturer, model number, and firmware. If so, then I may have to adjust my feelings on that too. But then again...you're in Europe and capturing license plates might not be a big issue for you like it is for us in USA with our tiny plates.

if it gets implemented, have seen a few brands that promote the fact that they use a 10Hz GPS yet they run them at 1Hz anyway
Oof. That's ugly. Personally I've never tracked any vehicle of mine. When reviewing dashcam video, I have often wished the speed readout were quicker to respond, especially ticking down during hard deceleration.

That was 2 similar systems, based on the OV4689 sensor, of course same firmware and same mounting right beside each other on my windscreen, and aside for the FPS choose both cameras was running on AUTO settings in regard to image quality,,,,, of course also best possible bitrate selected, i would personally never do anything less than that.
The cameras was the now long gone Joovuu X cam

The 60 fps are nice if you want a more cinematic feel, and with that you can of course slow idiots down 50% and still have good video.
But i look at dashcams as accident recorders, so i dont need things like that unless if give me advantage, i would even do black & white footage if that was better in some way.

For road-trip videos i always put a action camera in my windscreen

Yeah we Euro boys have a huge advantage in plate capture, larger uncluttered plates and 2 of them.

It was my understanding real soon, but now that jokiin have been a trip under the knife at the hospital, not sure if that was factored into that soon.
You could just pick up something cheap to tie you over, CUZ i do know no camera it is a pretty naked feeling indeed.

It was my understanding real soon, but now that jokiin have been a trip under the knife at the hospital, not sure if that was factored into that soon.
You could just pick up something cheap to tie you over, CUZ i do know no camera it is a pretty naked feeling indeed.

All the best for your recovery Jokiin.
I hope the operation wasn't too major. (y)

:oops:good luck.

I know this is an old thread but the title is still very much valid. I am new to Dash Cams and a stranger to SG in particular and find the model range hard to get my mind around.

Is the SG9667DC2K the latest and greatest model in the range currently?
If so is it as good, video quality wise is most conditions as their other modeks seem to be?

I'm UK based and looking for my 1st Dash Cam so any advice reatly appreciated.

Yes this 2K resolution model are the latest one, it is also using the same IMX 335 sensor as all other 2K cameras use.

You may also consider SG9663DR system, if remote lens setup is important for you.

You may also consider SG9663DR system, if remote lens setup is important for you.
Excuse my ignorance here but can you explain remote lens setup please?
Are you refering to setup vis android/apple app?
Is it not available on the 9667DC2K?

The DR system are fine, only 1 thing to be mindful about it, and that is if you plan to use parking guard, and use the G-sensor, then you have to mount the main unit to something rigid as shocks can travel thru the chassis to the main unit to be picked up.

My test sample are just draped over transmission tunnel in its wires, so i can kick wheels and slap windscreens as i please and nothing happen, but drop a matchstick on the main unit from a few CM up and it register just fine.
It is a design challenge all remote systems have, and i still think it is the best way to make dashcams, and i also use always record low bitrate, though i do have G-sensor on too, and it will also trigger just fine if my car is hit while parked, even with my sloppy "install"

Conventional systems are on the windscreen, so G-forses will easy reach those as glass are rigid glued to rest of the car.

I cant tell about this new system as i or any other tester dident get one, but judging by the countless other SG cameras i have had my hands on, you should be just fine.

The DR have its main unit remote from all ( 2 ) lenses / cameras, this i recon ( not tested against conventional ) will be good for parking guard as at least the main unit can be put out of direct sunlight, and thats still something even if a car cabin get blistering hot in the summer, but no direct sunlight got to be better i figure.
The 2 remote camera units are also smaller than all / most conventional systems, so they have the possibility for doing a very stealthy install.

The downside is a remote system have a few extra wires as a result of its nature, but its not like it make it any harder to install VS a conventional system.
The DR system come with a hard wire kit and so will be ready to do parking guard, the other SG models you have to buy the hard wire kit as a extra if you want to use any of those models for parking guard.

The DR system are fine, only 1 thing to be mindful about it, and that is if you plan to use parking guard, and use the G-sensor, then you have to mount the main unit to something rigid as shocks can travel thru the chassis to the main unit to be picked up.

My test sample are just draped over transmission tunnel in its wires, so i can kick wheels and slap windscreens as i please and nothing happen, but drop a matchstick on the main unit from a few CM up and it register just fine.
It is a design challenge all remote systems have, and i still think it is the best way to make dashcams, and i also use always record low bitrate, though i do have G-sensor on too, and it will also trigger just fine if my car is hit while parked, even with my sloppy "install"

Conventional systems are on the windscreen, so G-forses will easy reach those as glass are rigid glued to rest of the car.

I cant tell about this new system as i or any other tester dident get one, but judging by the countless other SG cameras i have had my hands on, you should be just fine.
Thanks kamkar, I'm almost sold I think. Just need to do some more research and decide wich model best suits my needs.

Yes, depending on the layout on your windscreen, dashcam form factor can be a matter worth consideration.
In the general forum there is a pinned picture filled post of peoples installs, you can take a look in it and see what people have done in cars with similar windscreen layout as you have, browse it backwards so you get the newest posts first, it is a decade old post as old as the forum, so much of the old stuff might be obsolete.

If anything just ask and we will help you on your way, there are no stupid questions here, only some that have been asked many times before, but thats alright too.

The DR have its main unit remote from all ( 2 ) lenses / cameras, this i recon ( not tested against conventional ) will be good for parking guard as at least the main unit can be put out of direct sunlight, and thats still something even if a car cabin get blistering hot in the summer, but no direct sunlight got to be better i figure.
The 2 remote camera units are also smaller than all / most conventional systems, so they have the possibility for doing a very stealthy install.

The downside is a remote system have a few extra wires as a result of its nature, but its not like it make it any harder to install VS a conventional system.
The DR system come with a hard wire kit and so will be ready to do parking guard, the other SG models you have to buy the hard wire kit as a extra if you want to use any of those models for parking guard.
Thanks again, just spotted the fact that it has a remote main unit. A slightly mre complex install wouldn't phase me. I'm guessing most of the wiring would be behind the dash with just the cables to the cams going out further but I'll look into that. I can see advantages to having it mounted out of the window.

yes, mine are draped over tunnel just behind gear stick, the manual remote event button are on center console behind handbrake, this also house the microphone, cuz if you bury the main box "deep" it would be bad if the MIC was there.
Then there is the GPS antenna but this have always been a "mouse" one with SG cameras, here the wire are just longer so you can hide the main unit.
I had plans to glue mine to the back plastic box that is the glove box, but that would be bad for G-sensor pickup, but you can probably stick it directly to the firewall some place behind the dash / center console.
You long press toe event button to get the camera wifi to launch, so you can do settings that way or DL a file, but there also are a small LCD screen and buttons to use on the main box, just can be hard to reach if hidden.

I have managed to some how ruin the wifi in my test sample, it is there broadcasting ASO, just i can not connect to it, but i am the only person in the world that have managed to pull that off and it to be irreversible cuz all we have tried have not worked, so it should not be considered a danger / warning lamp, just something i must disclose as a affiliate of SG, having been given free cameras to test for many years.

Back