Street Guardian SG9665GC and BlackVue DR650GW-1CH

When comparing size of dashcams I do relay on "footprint" it leave to outside. From this point of view BV is not that "discrete" any more it used to be few years ago.

When comparing size of dashcams I do relay on "footprint" it leave to outside. From this point of view BV is not that "discrete" any more it used to be few years ago.

Until front cams are the size of rear cams (without having to have a separate processor), then currently we do not have a truely discrete, feature-packed dual-cam set-up. But, for me, the BV wins out two ways: it doesn't have a screen, and it's horizontal form factor means I can have it nestled high up the screen and fully sitting behind the factory installed polarised tint part of my screen. I wouldn't be placing the BV as shown in the video, while the SG is too much on show for my liking.

and it's horizontal form factor means I can have it nestled high up the screen and fully sitting behind the factory installed polarised tint part of my screen.

it very much depends on the vehicle if that's a workable solution or not, there's no one size fits all best design, choice is a good thing though

Until front cams are the size of rear cams (without having to have a separate processor), then currently we do not have a truely discrete, feature-packed dual-cam set-up. But, for me, the BV wins out two ways: it doesn't have a screen, and it's horizontal form factor means I can have it nestled high up the screen and fully sitting behind the factory installed polarised tint part of my screen. I wouldn't be placing the BV as shown in the video, while the SG is too much on show for my liking.

True, - it's all up to individual preferences.

it very much depends on the vehicle if that's a workable solution or not, there's no one size fits all best design, choice is a good thing though

Absolutely agree.

And again, I'm not the biggest fan of BV in other regards, aside its less than brilliant picture quality: in particular, the parking mode feature is poor in its insensitivity.

Heh... this is my 3rd Dashcam...
and its a blackspew?? thought only peoples first cams are that type then they realise they are overpriced under performing, but third you would hear that form others and avoid?.
I made that mistake on my first cam, good design and that but under performing majorly, never again. their design is what made me get one to begin with.

Ok so this thread was very interesting to me as probably the biggest "blewspew" fan here these days. So i decided it to give it a test, I use a 650 (2CH) and the SG9665GC every day both as my regular front cams.

It seemed surprising how dark the blackvue images were it just seemed strange how dark it was, so i tried it myself.

First up is the awesome SG9665GC:

gc lights off.jpg

You'll have to forgive the reflection, but i tried covering it later, and it didn't make a different really. Whats important is looking at the curb line, or the cars. The blackvue will also have some reflection:

bv lights off.jpg

so what do you know... it is pitch black like the original images posted here!

then i did something crazy! I turned my lights on! I don't have HID lights or anything, and actually my lights are pretty dirty. so here is the GC with my lights on, you can see the bunny to show this was at the exact same time (the time on my GC is not correct):

gc lights on.jpg

this again with my 650:

bv lights on 1.jpg

so the GC definitely shows a better brighter picture. It looks more detailed, and you can see more. but its sure different then just a pitch black parking lot. I decided to turn the brightness all the way up, because the default brightness on the 650 models is 20%. this is with 100% brightness (15 min later in the same spot):

bv lights on 2.jpg

one thing to point out is you do see a lot more of the brush on the right side but the picture still doesnt look as nice as the GC. the blacks dont look very black either anymore.

so most people would say, wow the GC is so much better. We can ignore the fact that the blackvue models have always had lower bitrate or not as good of video quality, but in exchange have other features like built in gps, wifi, iOS/android apps, and now a cloud service that lets it connect to a hotspot and alert you when your car is hit (if you pay that premium to have a hotspot in your car). it could be very great for companies with fleets though, allows live monitoring over the 4G network so the big boss man back at home base can view a live feed and gps location of every vehicle in its fleet. but lets ignore all of these features that make blackvue cams cost twice as much. say you don't care about any of those features, you just want something that records while you drive.

this is what it amounts to, this is a close up of a sign 20 feet in front of my car, at the exact same time (when the bunny was in the image) with head lights on:

signs.jpg

It really doesn't matter how much brighter or clearer the GC image looks if you still cant read a license plate 20-30 feet in front of you any more than another cam with supposedly worse video quality.

This isn't to bash the GC or the blackvue, I love my GC and 650. but the constant bashing of blackvue around here to me is hilarious. In the end they are both 1080p30 cams, and at the end of the day you can't even make out a sign or license plate anymore so then the blackvue sitting at a stand still in a parking lot. I understand that a lot of people here like street guardian, so do I (which is why I have the GC and ZC12RC in my car) but there ARE people who wan't special features like blackvue over the cloud, wifi, proper parking modes etc etc. and at the end of the day what really matters in these video quality arguments is if you can read a plate or not, its not as big of a victory for street guardian as people make it seem around here.

Nice thanks for sharing.

Here a good thread on how it's tough for any DashCam to read bright reflective USA number plates or reflective signs at night. If you crank way down for hot spot reflections all other night detail will be lost.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/reading-license-plates-at-night-hid-xenon-standard-bulbs.1444/
i just read that yesterday hah.

for the record my "test" was with no CPL on either. forgot to mention that as I do have CPL for both but took both off.

I just find some of these comparisons strange. the GC is probably the best $200 cam for the money (especially if you don't care about fancy features). But I don't think someone is wasting their money on a $300 (or even $400 2CH) blackvue if they make good use of its special features. you are paying for the wifi, gps, buffered parking mode, unqiue form factor etc etc. until we start getting 4K cams I don't see any big practical advantage from one 1080p cam over another 1080p cam if they are both at least half decent. it feels like the last 1-2 years has been at a near stand still in progress, and we sit here comparing images that at the end of the day wouldn't make much a difference in helping find a hit and runner etc etc. we can pour over image comparisons but until someone shows how one camera can read a license plate at the exact same moment another camera CANT because of its video quality, we are just hamsters running in our wheel debating stuff that doesn't matter in the real world when a car crash actually happens.

people obsess over catching license plates when I feel getting the most amount of detail you can is often more important in the scheme of things

people obsess over catching license plates when I feel getting the most amount of detail you can is often more important in the scheme of things
how so? what kind of detail? i think a 720p cam is gonna capture everything just fine if you don't care about capturing the licence plate. isnt this why the korean market doesnt seem to care about 1080p? they seem to not care about license plates at all, they love their fancy strobe lights flashing while the car is parked to make sure everyone knows they have a cam but still sell 720p cams.

IMHO a potato cam is as useful as a 1080p cam if neither of them captured a license plate needed in an accident. a potato cam is still gonna capture the color of the car, and even at 720p you'll be able to make out what make and model it is. the only other thing i can think of is maybe capturing what another driver is doing, like looking at their phone, but if you can't capture a plate, how are you gonna capture their hand and phone in the car? in the end I want a dashcam to protect myself in an accident. to show who is at fault, and if its a hit and run, capture their license plate. any potato cam will show if a light is green when you get t boned by a red light runner. i am just trying to judge cameras from a practical stand point.

I am criticizing myself here too btw. Some of my reviews I have done critiques like this thread. shown stills of cams moving at 60 mph to show how detailed the long grass is on the side of the road at high speed.

but really... who cares? us. thats about it. our insurance companies don't care how great the image looks if it cant be used to determine guilt in a car crash.

how so? what kind of detail? i think a 720p cam is gonna capture everything just fine if you don't care about capturing the licence plate. .

not saying you shouldn't want to catch license plates, but rather get as much detail as you can, there's often a lot more going on in a video, which way the other driver was looking, did they have a phone in their hands, what's happening in the shadows, a pedestrian that was just about to step off a kerb that cause you to brake suddenly and get rear ended etc, the more detail you can get the better, no camera, regardless of how much money you spend will get all the details, all the time, but the more detail you can catch the better your chances are of getting what you need

not saying you shouldn't want to catch license plates, but rather get as much detail as you can, there's often a lot more going on in a video, which way the other driver was looking, did they have a phone in their hands, what's happening in the shadows, a pedestrian that was just about to step off a kerb that cause you to brake suddenly and get rear ended etc, the more detail you can get the better, no camera, regardless of how much money you spend will get all the details, all the time, but the more detail you can catch the better your chances are of getting what you need
those are good points. I feel like in the end some of those won't even matter though. I have seen some videos of people rear ending a cammer with a rear cam that were on their phone. but in the end what the driver was doing isn't going to matter when the fact is the driver rear ended them, usually right of way is what matters. i am just thinking from my own personal experience from the 5+ accidents ive been involved with (only one parking lot fender bender on black ice was my fault :p) and I can't imagine fault changing at all based on small details like what the driver was doing. but again I am still just thinking about what my insurance company will care about at the end of the day.

im just playing devils advocate at this point though so don't take everything ive been saying to heart. but I am just trying to imagine any hypothetical situation where the GC would save me my insurance deductible (or jail time heh) when my blackvue wouldnt. i watch /r/roadcam videos every day, watch the streetguardian facebook page videos, dashcam owners australia videos... can't think of any videos where anything besides who had right of way, who had a green or red light etc, who ran a stop sign etc mattered. and i also don't see two cams with decent enough 1080p30 being different enough to make any of these hypothetical situations have a different outcome. if anyone can post some examples I'd love to see them.

i think I am just ready for 4k dash cams.

I've been at the scene of 5,000 plus accidents over a 12 year period when I worked in a different industry and for sure there are times when finer details do make a difference, for the most part you are correct though, in the majority of cases where as long as you can identify which vehicle was basically doing what you're pretty well covered (I've said before, any cam is better than no cam), that generally goes for the accidents where there's no argument about who's at fault and the reality is in those situations the camera is useful to be able to recall the details of what happened (you'd be surprised how often people can't recall how things unfolded due to being in shock) but when there's no unusual circumstances the finer details aren't nearly as important

I think we'll need to see a technology shift before 4k outdoes 1080p for low light situations, the pixel size is far too small to collect light in the current range of sensors

I've been at the scene of 5,000 plus accidents over a 12 year period when I worked in a different industry and for sure there are times when finer details do make a difference, for the most part you are correct though, in the majority of cases where as long as you can identify which vehicle was basically doing what you're pretty well covered (I've said before, any cam is better than no cam), that generally goes for the accidents where there's no argument about who's at fault and the reality is in those situations the camera is useful to be able to recall the details of what happened (you'd be surprised how often people can't recall how things unfolded due to being in shock) but when there's no unusual circumstances the finer details aren't nearly as important

I think we'll need to see a technology shift before 4k outdoes 1080p for low light situations, the pixel size is far too small to collect light in the current range of sensors
Until then I'll continue to run my blackvue along side the GC. ;)

Best of both worlds.

Just in time for the Easter Bunny :D

Back