Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 2016 constant boot loop

wotanisi

Reaction score
Country
United States
So this actually started a few months ago most likely as I remember hearing the startup sound every so often and thinking it was some weird notification from Android Auto I wasn't aware about. I finally noticed it was from the dash cam when it started happening semi frequently (3-4 times) during my 25 minute commute to and from work .I googled the issue and saw that it probably a bad memory card. Swapped it with the one from my digital camera (128gb sandisk) that had no issues and it was still having problems. Bought brand new ones from amazon (256gb samsung) and walmart (256gb pny) and neither worked as well. I tried to update the firmware but at this point the device barely gets past the startup logo before it reboots so I can't even navigate the menu. Setup in the car was with all original cables/accessories. Tried to plug it into the wall with the same issues. Plugged into the wall with no memory card it manages to flash a blue window about inserting a Tf card before it reboots. Any idea what else I can try? Thanks for the help and sorry about the rambling. Just a little frustrated.

If it helps this is where I originally bought it off Amazon

Are you able to get to the setting menu when you power up with the memory card left ejected/out? You said you saw the blue insert TF card message on screen. If you can get in, Check version page and let us know so we can confirm it’s really a V2.
What’s the serial number?

You covered most of the basics so far. Firmware update only works when the card is formatted FAT32 first. Since you can’t format the card I’m-camera at the moment you would be better off using a 32GB card to perform the firmware update since 32GB cards come FAT32 from the card factory. (Larger cards coke exFAT). If you exhaust all troubleshooting I can offer a discounted upgrade option as a previous early Street Guardian customer. (Just let me know if interested and I’ll send the options via private message)

No, I had to let it go through several reboot cycles in order to make out what was coming up on the blue window. Definitely not enough time to get to the menu. S/N is SGGC-B15531877.

I don't have a 32 gb card and after buying the two 256gb ones I am not sure I want to go buy a 32gb one as well. If nothing else can be done I was going to buy a new model anyway so I would greatly appreciate the discount.

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but this response is for any one else that finds this thread due to having the same problems.

My Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 also suffered the constant boot looping, with the screen dying and then restarting with the shimmery start sound effect. I fault-checked and troubleshot for months, then I ended up just leaving the camera unplugged for a year before finally taking it apart to see if there was any identifiable problem inside the casing.

It turns out one of the power capacitors had ruptured and I expect that's what was causing the issue. They are not easily replaceable, unlike a battery, so once your unit fails from this issue, there's little else to be done but throw it in the bin.

I guess I'm now in the market for a new dashcam.

Attachments

• 20220311_105403 - Copy.jpg
    20220311_105403 - Copy.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 16
Back