Suggestions needed

I also noticed there's the A129 Duo Dual Channel. I've never had a front and rear dash cam before. Would a dual channel dash cam be beneficial? Regarding the dual channel dash cam, does the rear camera require a separate power source from the front?

I would consider the newer A129 Plus DUO over the older A129 DUO though.

I agree with capture your action.
The A129 Plus Duo is a front camera upgrade to the A129 Duo. (The sensor (Lens) basically)

I have been using the Duo for years and it has been reliable with the occasional focus errors but they are minor errors.
I also have this dash cam connected via the cigarette lighter.
Here is a link to the plus duo

Viofo plus duo

In regards to the rear camera it is a single black wire that connects from the front camera to the rear camera. Just one and only one simply plug on the rear camera.

I ran my cable along my roof trim line just tucked under the head liner edge.
Be aware of your air bag locations and avoid interfering with them.

Regardless of what brand or model you purchase make sure you don't allow the cigarette lighter adaptor to get knocked.

If it gets knocked or bumped it will cause you all sorts of "no logical explanation faults". Eg missing footage during a drive. Dash cam won't start. Dash cam stops for no reason etc.
Happy shopping.

Let us know what you decide on.

Hi all, thanks for the information. I looked at my car and think it will be difficult to have a rear camera because the entire back door goes up and would not want the cable to get caught.

Regarding a front camera, any other recommendations than the VIOFO A119?

A139 Pro 1CH is the best camera right now but that is out of your $200 price range. It's on sale for $230 at the moment.
A119 V3 or A119 Mini is the next best for single channel. It sells for between $80-120 depending on whether it is on sale or not.

The A119 V3 is currently on sale for $83.99 USD directly from Viofo. Edit: It includes the GPS module.
As I've said recently elsewhere on the forum I believe it to be the best bargain in the dash cam industry at the moment. You could spend much more for an inferior camera from a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
The A119 V3 is currently on sale for $83.99 USD directly from Viofo. Edit: It includes the GPS module.
As I've said recently elsewhere on the forum I believe it to be the best bargain in the dash cam industry at the moment. You could spend much more for an inferior camera from a different manufacturer.

Don't you think he should wait for the A119 V5?
I'm sorry Mellow, I couldn't help myself. lol

Thanks for the information. Curious to hear about what the pros and cons are of having a camera with a GPS module. My previous camera did not have one. I understand that they can be helpful, but at the same time possibly self-incriminating - particularly with the speed component of GPS.

I saw somewhere that the GPS can be turned off. Is that true with the A119 V3?

Thanks for the information. Curious to hear about what the pros and cons are of having a camera with a GPS module. My previous camera did not have one. I understand that they can be helpful, but at the same time possibly self-incriminating - particularly with the speed component of GPS.

The GPS module is optional. The camera comes with a non-GPS mount you can use instead. Yes, you can also turn off GPS in the menu.

The advantage of GPS is no need to adjust time on the dashcam during daylight savings or ever sync time, and also having the location data embedded in the video.
Your speed can still be calculated whether you decide to disable GPS or not.

Well...let us think about this. The entire dash cam itself is self incriminating! No brainer there; if you are involved in an accident, and it is your fault, your dash camera will give you away. If the cop sees the camera, or the mount with out the camera you will likely be asked to provide the camera.

The GPS will give you the advantage if you are ticketed for speeding and the GPS on the video shows you were going slower. You have to decide if you are already a safe driver and none of this matters or, if you are currently a reckless or careless driver and a dash cam with or without a GPS would be to your disadvantage.

Some good points. I do have to admit that as a generally safe and cautious driver I'm sometimes surprised to discover that I was traveling faster that I recalled when viewing footage after the fact. :facepalm:

Interesting that you mention courtesy as it is an important factor. Where I live in a rural area many, if not most people tend to be patient and courteous on the roads. For example, when you're in town and there's a line of slow moving cars in traffic it is very common for people to let other drivers cut into the line from side roads, exit ramps off the interstate or from shopping mall parking lots. When you do that you always get an appreciative friendly wave from the other driver and it becomes contagious. That same driver will probably do the same thing next time he or she is in a position to let someone else cut into traffic.

What always amuses me is that we get a lot of out-of-state tourists and this time of year, skiers visiting the area from large urban centers. They are often aggressive, selfish, inconsiderate and sometime dangerous drivers. The contrast is always striking. Not long ago I was at a local supermarket and was in the process of making a left turn into a parking space when all of a sudden a huge black, late model Cadillac Escalade with NY license plates came speeding up, cut me off and stole the parking space right in front of me. I had to do a panic stop as I nearly T-boned him. I hit my horn. He gave me the finger.

Back