Suggestions needed

firefighterdude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
Good afternoon, all. I'm here on this site in search of a new dashcam. I currently have a 70Mai Dash Cam (with ability to connect to app on phone, display screen, but no GPS). However, it has been giving me problems such as:
  1. Date & time resetting
  2. The device saying "Lost SD card a replacement is advised" although there is already an SD card inserted
I've contacted their support and they told me that I should update the firmware, which I haven't done, but hope to do so soon once I have access to an SD/Micro-SD adapter.

I'm writing this post in case that firmware update doesn't fix the problem. Therefore, I'm looking for suggestions for a good dash cam that will not give me issues like this again. Ideally, I'd like one that doesn't need to be hardwired (can plug into USB or cig plug), has a parking surveillance feature, has good quality, and will let me view recordings via my phone.

I'm aware that there is the Best Dash Cams of 2022 page, but I was wondering if I could get personalized suggestions based on my situation.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a hardware issue with your camera. If it has worked fine up until this point with the current firmware, and suddenly you're experiencing failure, that's a bad sign. Try reflashing as a last ditch effort, if no luck, then time to replace the unit. If under warranty, send it back, if not then you've got to decide where to move on from there.

Per your own advice, I think the Best Dash Cams 2022 on DashCamTalk is very informative. It really depends on your expectations and day to day usage what unit best suits your lifestyle.

1. Do you want a Front Camera? Front and Rear? Or Front, Rear, and Interior? There are a lot of competitive choices for Single and Duo Channel Cameras.

2. For three channel, the market isn't very competitive (Front + Rear + Interior).

3. And then do you wish to hardwire camera for Parking Mode. Do you require Live Parking Recording? Do you want Buffered Parking Recording with Motion Detection (Activates on Motion Detection and Records Seconds Before and After an Event). Do you want Cloud Storage on Events?

Be sure whatever you select, avoid cameras that use lithium ion batteries. These lose charge over time, don't do well in hot climates, and tend to be found in cheaper / lower end cameras.

I believe it is Hard for anyone to give a recommendation without knowing your needs and expectations.

Sounds like a hardware issue with your camera. If it has worked fine up until this point with the current firmware, and suddenly you're experiencing failure, that's a bad sign. Try reflashing as a last ditch effort, if no luck, then time to replace the unit. If under warranty, send it back, if not then you've got to decide where to move on from there.

Per your own advice, I think the Best Dash Cams 2022 on DashCamTalk is very informative. It really depends on your expectations and day to day usage what unit best suits your lifestyle.

1. Do you want a Front Camera? Front and Rear? Or Front, Rear, and Interior? There are a lot of competitive choices for Single and Duo Channel Cameras.

2. For three channel, the market isn't very competitive (Front + Rear + Interior).

3. And then do you wish to hardwire camera for Parking Mode. Do you require Live Parking Recording? Do you want Buffered Parking Recording with Motion Detection (Activates on Motion Detection and Records Seconds Before and After an Event). Do you want Cloud Storage on Events?

Be sure whatever you select, avoid cameras that use lithium ion batteries. These lose charge over time, don't do well in hot climates, and tend to be found in cheaper / lower end cameras.

I believe it is Hard for anyone to give a recommendation without knowing your needs and expectations.
I'll have to double check to see if my product is still under warranty but I'm pretty sure it is not. I'm going to try and get the latest firmware uploaded onto the SD card. If that doesn't work, I'll have to ditch it.

1. Although I was using a front facing camera only, I haven't really thought about a front and rear dash cam. I might as well look into it now. Do the rear components require significant skill to "wire"?

2. I know for sure I would not want a front + rear + interior camera.

3. I am positive that I will not be hardwiring the camera - I have zero skills in doing so. I'm not familiar with various parking modes you have mentioned. The 70Mai dash cam I have (not hardwired but had a backup battery for motion) would record when motion is detected.

I hope this can help with some suggestions. Thanks, again, for your help :)

I'll have to double check to see if my product is still under warranty but I'm pretty sure it is not. I'm going to try and get the latest firmware uploaded onto the SD card. If that doesn't work, I'll have to ditch it.

1. Although I was using a front facing camera only, I haven't really thought about a front and rear dash cam. I might as well look into it now. Do the rear components require significant skill to "wire"?

Depending on the make, model, and year of your vehicle, modern cars use side curtain airbags. You need to be mindful. You have to remove trim and route the cabling behind these curtains, and not simply tuck wires into pillars, to avoid obstructing the airbag from deploying in an accident.

Hardwiring isn't too bad. You simple need to check and see what fuses you have available that aren't safety or tied to electronics. It's always best to use the most benign fuse possible to avoid interfering with other systems. This may be a bit of trial and error. Because you can often pick a fuse, and due to Canbus, find it is tied into another system not mentioned in the manual.

2. I know for sure I would not want a front + rear + interior camera.

You will want a front and rear camera. If you are uncertain how to install per the above, a professional installation may be best. I wouldn't drive without a front or rear camera. My rear camera has come in handy several times during ownership.

3. I am positive that I will not be hardwiring the camera - I have zero skills in doing so. I'm not familiar with various parking modes you have mentioned. The 70Mai dash cam I have (not hardwired but had a backup battery for motion) would record when motion is detected.

I hope this can help with some suggestions. Thanks, again, for your help :)

If you decide not to hardwire and want something connecting only to the 12V adapter (or don't want to pay for a professional installation) then you're going to have decide if you can live with wires dangling everywhere. As you cannot simply tuck in the wires from front to rear camera without causing safety concerns on a modern vehicle (Obstructing side curtains with wire). If you drive an older car without side curtains, then "tucking the wire" is OK.

Blackvue and Thinkware make some good front only cameras. Viofo has a A129 and A139 Model Line. The Best of Help page offers some very good recommendations here. It's a matter of are you still only going to get a front camera or also want a rear one, too?

Depending on the make, model, and year of your vehicle, modern cars use side curtain airbags. You need to be mindful. You have to remove trim and route the cabling behind these curtains, and not simply tuck wires into pillars, to avoid obstructing the airbag from deploying in an accident.

Hardwiring isn't too bad. You simple need to check and see what fuses you have available that aren't safety or tied to electronics. It's always best to use the most benign fuse possible to avoid interfering with other systems. This may be a bit of trial and error. Because you can often pick a fuse, and due to Canbus, find it is tied into another system not mentioned in the manual.

You will want a front and rear camera. If you are uncertain how to install per the above, a professional installation may be best. I wouldn't drive without a front or rear camera. My rear camera has come in handy several times during ownership.

If you decide not to hardwire and want something connecting only to the 12V adapter (or don't want to pay for a professional installation) then you're going to have decide if you can live with wires dangling everywhere. As you cannot simply tuck in the wires from front to rear camera without causing safety concerns on a modern vehicle (Obstructing side curtains with wire). If you drive an older car without side curtains, then "tucking the wire" is OK.

Blackvue and Thinkware make some good front only cameras. Viofo has a A129 and A139 Model Line. The Best of Help page offers some very good recommendations here. It's a matter of are you still only going to get a front camera or also want a rear one, too?
Apologies for the very delayed response. Thank you for the information. Considering what you have shared, I am aiming in a front-only camera that I wouldn't necessarily need to have professionally installed. I don't know much about cameras, but I have heard great things about Blackvue. I'm sure those other brands are good, as well.

Welcome to DCT @firefighterdude :) Another vote for the A119V3 here; it's a very good reliable fully developed cam with great vfideo day and ni9ght, and also one of the best values for cost you can get.

SD cards can be a problem with dashcams and only a few work well. Check these forums to find out what other owners of your cam have tried and recommend. When buying cards you need to test them with "h2testw" freeware to ensure you haven't received a fake card- unfortunately there are a lot of them around :(

Phil

Apologies for the very delayed response. Thank you for the information. Considering what you have shared, I am aiming in a front-only camera that I wouldn't necessarily need to have professionally installed. I don't know much about cameras, but I have heard great things about Blackvue. I'm sure those other brands are good, as well.
Blackvue has many great features. You'll pay more, but I guarantee you'll get much better customer service! - Good luck!

Welcome to DCT @firefighterdude :) Another vote for the A119V3 here; it's a very good reliable fully developed cam with great vfideo day and ni9ght, and also one of the best values for cost you can get.

SD cards can be a problem with dashcams and only a few work well. Check these forums to find out what other owners of your cam have tried and recommend. When buying cards you need to test them with "h2testw" freeware to ensure you haven't received a fake card- unfortunately there are a lot of them around :(

Phil
Thank you. I think I'm going to move on from my dash cam that I have now, given that there are probably better dash cams out there. How do I go about testing cards with "h2testw" freeware?

Blackvue has many great features. You'll pay more, but I guarantee you'll get much better customer service! - Good luck!
At this point, I'm willing to pay more for better service! Are there any specific cameras that you would recommend that provide front only coverage, G-sensor (for crash detection while parked), and can be powered by the car's 12V outlet? I looked at their website and it appears that the DR590x, DR750X, and DR900X one-channel cameras may fit my needs. A lot of information on their website to comprehend for one who isn't so familiar with all of the terminology.

Given your requirements, I would vote for the A119 V3.
It's been out since May 2019 (or even earlier) and already has a mature firmware.
It is the best single channel camera at any price hands down and has yet to be dethroned.

There is a WiFi version that might be released soon if being able to connect to your phone is important.

At this point, I'm willing to pay more for better service! Are there any specific cameras that you would recommend that provide front only coverage, G-sensor (for crash detection while parked), and can be powered by the car's 12V outlet? I looked at their website and it appears that the DR590x, DR750X, and DR900X one-channel cameras may fit my needs. A lot of information on their website to comprehend for one who isn't so familiar with all of the terminology.
The sweet spot for dashcams right now is 2K, of which BlackVue does not have any. They only have 4K or 1080P dashcams. 2K provides excellent image quality both during the day/night, and does not overheat.

That said, if you are already set on BlackVue, go with the DR750X Plus. It is what I would buy if I specifically wanted a BlackVue.
Just be aware that there will be a compromise on the visual image quality(not having 2K). Also, just because a dashcam cost more does not mean that it is the best or better than others.

Speaking of service...https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2022/
Scroll all the way down in that link and you will see this service disclaimer per this very same website:

Brands with the best support​

1. Street Guardian (Best support and 24 month warranty when registering your cam)
  2. VIOFO (Good firmware updates and 18 month warranty)
  3. Garmin (Brand name with good support)

Since parking mode seems to be important to you, you'll need to tap into your fuse box to get parking mode. That is really a very simple thing to do. I'm pretty sure companies like Best Buy will do it for you at a relatively low cost.

If you decide you want real-time push notifications and/or remote viewing via the Blackvue Cloud there would be other things to consider in your dashcam selection. - If you have no need or interest in these additional features, the DR750X Plus should work fine for you.

Btw, I'm pretty sure you can add a rear dashcam to your Blackvue front dashcam if you happen to change your mind later.

Hi again, everyone. Christmas time is coming and I figure I'd get a new dash cam. I tried troubleshooting the 70mai dash cam with instructions from the company, but that did not work.

When looking at the VIOFO A119, which I am quite interested in, I also noticed there's the A129 Duo Dual Channel. I've never had a front and rear dash cam before. Would a dual channel dash cam be beneficial? Regarding the dual channel dash cam, does the rear camera require a separate power source from the front? Thanks for the information!

Hi again, everyone. Christmas time is coming and I figure I'd get a new dash cam. I tried troubleshooting the 70mai dash cam with instructions from the company, but that did not work.

When looking at the VIOFO A119, which I am quite interested in, I also noticed there's the A129 Duo Dual Channel. I've never had a front and rear dash cam before. Would a dual channel dash cam be beneficial? Regarding the dual channel dash cam, does the rear camera require a separate power source from the front? Thanks for the information!
I think the first step is to determine your budget/price range or maximum that you are willing to pay.
There are a lot of recommendations that can be made but they depend on your price range.

I definitely recommend that you go dual channel over single channel.

I think the first step is to determine your budget/price range or maximum that you are willing to pay.
There are a lot of recommendations that can be made but they depend on your price range.

I definitely recommend that you go dual channel over single channel.
I'd say the maximum is $200 and would be looking for something that doesn't require hardwiring (I have a cigarette plug or USB port that I can plug it into).

I'd say the maximum is $200
Have a look at our B4K dash cam also? It can avoid this time reset problem since it has a built-in GPS module in its mount!

The best time to buy any dashcam is Black Friday/Cyber Monday season and Prime Day.
You just missed the boat on sales.

In this $200 price range, you have several options to consider:
  • Viofo 2CH A139 non-pro
  • Viofo A129 Plus Duo
  • 2x Viofo A119 V3

I'm not so sure that you will find dashcams from other manufacturers in this price range with IMX335 sensor.
No dashcam require hardwiring. The purpose of hardwiring is to enable parking mode if this is a feature that you desire.

Back