Super Capacitor & Android App/Device

rob61280

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just discovered this forum and bought a Mobius with the B Lens. It works great as a dashcam.

I've also purchased but not yet installed the super capacitor. I've been using the android app to adjust settings and grab files from the Mobius.

Does anyone know whether a mobius fitted with a super capacitor can be used in this way?

I wonder if the android device connected over USB OTG will supply enough power for file copies and use of the app?

Edit: I've updated this first post to summarise my experience with the mobius, super caps and an Android phone.

When fitted with a capacitor, its best to use a otg y cable to supply power to the mobius while transferring data or settings to/from an Android device. This is particularly true when a long data cable is used, as the voltage drop can lead to corruption of the storage card's file system.

If you do corrupt the storage card, it is easily fixed by formatting it with a PC.

This thread contains further details on the different cables etc that I have used.

Last edited:
In case anyone else has the same question, I've bought a USB OTG Y power cable, so that the car can supply power, while the phone transfers data from the camera.

That was the answer :D

Could you post the link with such an "Y" OTG cable , please ? I think it have to be long enough for easier manipulation ( 0.5 meters or longer )

Could you post the link with such an "Y" OTG cable , please ? I think it have to be long enough for easier manipulation ( 0.5 meters or longer )
I mean : male mini USB (for Mobius),male micro USB(for Android smartphone , let's say Samsung) and male USB for cigarette lighter plug .

No problem,

I ordered this cable;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171355840170
It uses a female micro USB to draw power, which fits my use case, as I use a micro USB charger for my phone in the car.

I plan to use the existing mini USB - USB cable to connect to the female USB of the OTG cable.

I will let you know how successful (or not) my setup is.

No problem,

I ordered this cable;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171355840170
It uses a female micro USB to draw power, which fits my use case, as I use a micro USB charger for my phone in the car.

I plan to use the existing mini USB - USB cable to connect to the female USB of the OTG cable.

I will let you know how successful (or not) my setup is.
Thank you . I have ordered same combination (Mobius A lens and supercap) and I was thinking how it will work with(out) powersource...How could it work with an Android App for setting configuration and live video (via Therrau 2000 App ? ) as well .

Be aware that the long charging cable that is often bundled with the Mobius may be power only, and not allow data transfer. In my case I intend to use a shorter data cable to connect the mobius to the USB OTG power cable.

Be aware that the long charging cable that is often bundled with the Mobius may be power only, and not allow data transfer. In my case I intend to use a shorter data cable to connect the mobius to the USB OTG power cable.
Maybe you put the link with one , after you have been verified it.

I'll test the cable when it arrives and feedback to this thread. The camera itself is excellent. This forum also seems to be a gold mine of useful information.

The OTG power cable I bought works well. It can be used to power the camera from a micro USB charger, while transferring footage/settings to and from my android phone.

I haven't tried the capacitor yet, as I'm trying to resolve an issue with the battery life of my camera.

I'll update this thread once I've tested the capacitor.

The OTG cable works great with the capacitor, and 3m extension cable. Both the android app and stick mount have no trouble accessing the camera when a data cable is used.

Hi rob61280 , how do you operate practically ? Supposing you have Mobius supercap mounted , the car is with ignition off and you want to see what you have record or to set new parameter via Android Mobius apk on an Android smartphone OTG compatible of course . Thank you

Hi,

I'd have to turn the ignition on in the scenario you describe. The main purpose of the y cable is to prevent the mobius drawing power from the phone.

Alternatively the mobius can be wired to the car with a permanent live, it will then work without switching the ignition on, but may drain the battery.

If there are any other scenarios you would like me to test, please let me know.

Rob

Thank you , Rob . I am waiting a supercap and then I will mount my Mobius . Supposing you want to use your smartphone only for few minutes (without any source of external power ) , do you consider it will drain too much current from your phones battery ? Have you any idea/link with such a long cable ( say 1 m long ) , power PLUS data transferring capabilities , to adapt one end of this cable WITHOUT dismounting Mobius from windscreen ? If the phone doesn't drain too much , of course you don't need any Y cable .

Hi,

The few times I've connected my mobius with super capacitor to my phone with a standard USB OTG adapter, rather than the y cable it's worked.

I think a lot depends on the type of phone you have, and how much power it puts out.

I'm not sure if this mode of operation won't damage your phone. Maybe someone from the forum could answer this?

The 1m 5pin USB mini cable that comes with the mobius can be coupled with a standard USB OTG adapter for use in the way you described. Alternatively the guide at the link below, explains how to make your existing USB cable into an OTG host cable.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-OTG-host-cable-The-easy-way/

Rob

Rob , please put the guide link . I have a 3100 mAh battery ( Samsung Note 3 ) . I think it is powerful enough .

Hi,

I've updated with a link to the guide

Alternatively here is a link to a short and cheap USB OTG adapter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121047718336
Good luck with the cable, I'm sure you phone will have plenty of power, my Nexus 5 did.

Rob

aah so with a Nexus 5 you dont have to have the y cable - a simple OTG on the end of a 3 metre data / charging cable should do for parameter setting / downloading files?

Back