Switching between firmware versions on the fly?

Joe5510

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is all the information that the DR650 needs to work contained on the SD card (personal settings/Wi-Fi/etc)? If so, could I load version 2 onto a spare 16 gb SD card and configure all the personal settings (with Blackvue HD software) and give it a try and if I didn't like it, just stick in the original SD card that has v 1.009 that I'm now using?

No it won't work. You will get the woman constantly saying "version error", or words to that effect, to you.

You would have to reflash the firmware each time.

Am I missing something? The blackvue manual describes the firmware update method to be exactly like the OP's question

Unless you have the firmware on both cards then you will get the version error message.

If you do then each time you will reflash the firmware. Rendering the camera useless whilst it does so. All the settings will also be reset once done.

Ok, so the OP can do it, if they make the settings on the V1.009 card after the placing the firmware files on it.

The smaller upgrades may be ok V2.0 to V2.001 for example. But V1.009 to V2.0 doesn't work.

It certainly didn't when I tried and each time it doesn't recognise the SD card and you get the 'version error' warning.

So how is it possible to revert back from V2.000 to V1.009, as the blackvue website says you can?

Here is the note from the V2.000 description;

"Note 1: Even if you install this firmware, you will be able to return to version 1.009 by installing 1.009 again."

Is the blackvue website incorrect?

No. If you format the card on your laptop and put the V1.009 firmware only on it. Then it will recognise it and flash accordingly.

Same as for V2.0.

One of the things I remember it doing after flashing is saying 'initialising SD Card'. I'm assuming this does something to the format so that the two firmware versions don't talk to each other.

Try it for yourself. I may have made an error or may have had a dodgy SD card.

Back