TF2+ Review by Techmoan

In the positive side he mentioned correctly about no battery is good thing, but It is strange that he puts for "negative" side also - no batteries is negative? , - I think this is big advantage not having a batteries, especially for hot climate countries.
He said you can not take out it and make photos, - he is right. But let's think realistically, to un-mount it ( or un-clip ) it will take much longer time then taking you mobile phone and start recording after-accident footage. These days almost all people carrying a camera mobile phones with them, especially those who can afford premium class Vico, - those will for sure have high standard camera mobile phone as well ;)

He also did not mention a VIco-Scedule, which is in my opinion is very strong sales point and I would want other dash cams also implement it ( dont know if it is patented by Vico or not )

FOr negative side I would mention only - not having motion detection. Other than that it is a great dashcam.

Price 210 usd ? , - fair price ! all good high end dash cams are starting around 200 usd ( Panorama II, Vico, Lukas etc. ), so buyer has to expect to spend at least 200 usd if wants to get very good dash cam.
Heheee@ 37'883 ... what ? ( DJF ) Djiboutian what ? :))), - Techmoan knows how to nicely finish his review.

Review is great. I like the way he presents short and easy to understand overview.

Question for VIco TF2+ users: Did Vico raised a bit-rate lately ??
As I remember, previous TF2+ version had lower bit-rate than mentioned in his review ( 13-14Mbps bit-rate ? )

Downloaded first video clip and analysed with KMPlayer and Windows properties. It shows me different values for total and date bit-rate.

bit-rate.jpg

Also want to point out at one more probably negative side, that Vico TF2+ records at 29.970 Fps, not full 30Fps, - this is disadvantage for those who want to use video editing softwares. Many of those video editing softwares I have tested ( even so called professional ones ) are very fussy for editing video clips with different Fps ( I think it has been asked in Blackvue thread ). If you want to work on more than 1 video clip, where others clips have different fps value, then program just sending you an error or freezes, etc. I am not telling oll video editing softwares are like this, but many of them I have work with. So just for those who plan to edit in future, need to pay attention on those small details.

With the latest firmware upgrade Vico Schedule has been removed from the menu options and the bit rate has been increased. ( see VicoVation website for explanation of firmware upgrades for the TF2 models ).
I have the TF2EZ,the Mobius and the GT300 and the TF2 is the better camera in my opinion.

Also want to point out at one more probably negative side, that Vico TF2+ records at 29.970 Fps, not full 30Fps, - this is disadvantage for those who want to use video editing softwares.

actually 29.970 is the correct framerate, some products report this as 30fps but it's not really, the Blackvue has some non standard rate a bit lower than this, Google 29.970 fps and you'll find plenty pf references about this, the standard once upon a time was 30 fps when everything on TV was black and white, they went to 29.970 when colour TV was introduced

Does anyone know if the Aiptek X5 is the same camera as the Vico TF2+? (minus the battery vs capacitor thing)

Last edited:
With the latest firmware upgrade Vico Schedule has been removed from the menu options and the bit rate has been increased. ( see VicoVation website for explanation of firmware upgrades for the TF2 models ).
This is correct fatpanda beat me to it. The old Firmware bit rate was around 9.8 I believe.

Also some newer Event Recordings of mine show 128 Stereo like Techmoan and some older ones of mine show 64 Mono.

After making a few runs at night tonight things still look good when there is decent lighting during in town driving with shops and what not. Plates are even visible as long as the headlights do not directly shine on them if they are there is a white out of the area.

The only current draw back for me personally is that when night time lighting is poor the older firmware with Vico Schedule seemed to look better under these conditions. I still need to do some more low lighting testing to be sure, but in fair night time lighting the Vico devices are amazing and defiantly worth the money.

Does anyone know if the Aiptek X5 is the same camera as the Vico TF2+? (minus the battery vs capacitor thing)
I don't have a Aiptek X5 but from what I am able to dig up on paper.

The TF2 has a wider FOV.
160º / 140º Vs 120º

The Vico has higher temperature ratings.
Operation Temperature 0°C ~ 75°C
Storage Temperature -20°C ~ 85°C
vs
Operation Temperature 0゜~ 60゜C
Storage Temperature -20゜~ 60゜C

Vico has Ambarella A5 with Aptina AR0330
X5 has Ambarella A5 with AR0330

actually 29.970 is the correct framerate, some products report this as 30fps but it's not really, the Blackvue has some non standard rate a bit lower than this, Google 29.970 fps and you'll find plenty pf references about this, the standard once upon a time was 30 fps when everything on TV was black and white, they went to 29.970 when colour TV was introduced

yes, I read about that. If only manufacturers could have an agreement on 30fps or 29.970fps as a standard unified Fps for all dash cams, because for video editing person ( non-professional like me ), it is very hard to work with them.
Hope in near future all dash cams will have 29.97 FPS, like years ago mobile phone industry agreed to produce all phones with micro-usb chargers. Same way dashcam manufacturers could agree at least on FPS ?

actually I think most are 29.970 but there are couple of odd ones out like the Blackvue example

Yes, some odd ones are good dash cams but side by side comparison video editing i could manage to use only AVS4You, but it doest have auto sync and some other features like proff video edit softw which are fussy with Fps. Anyway, thats other topic to discuss.
Can you comment of why different data displayed on my screenshot from video properties. I want to understand this. You know better answer.

Can you comment of why different data displayed on my screenshot from video properties. I want to understand this. You know better answer.

I think what you see reported in Windows properties is just an overview or summary and isn't completed with a great deal of analysis of the file

I think what you see reported in Windows properties is just an overview or summary and isn't completed with a great deal of analysis of the file

Thats why me and Techmoan ( and others ) always get different data readings, which confuses.
I havnt found yet most correct way to extract true data properties from raw video files. Do you know how its proper way to do this so the bit-rate and other data on techmoan review can be true and confirmed as well as for any other dash cam video clip properties.

Thats why me and Techmoan ( and others ) always get different data readings, which confuses.
I havnt found yet most correct way to extract true data properties from raw video files. Do you know how its proper way to do this so the bit-rate and other data on techmoan review can be true and confirmed as well as for any other dash cam video clip properties.

I don't know of any industry standard or even any standard that everyone adheres to, measurement standards in electronics are vague at the best of times, to be fair though to the average Joe the data rate is nowhere near as relevant when judging products as the actual files produced, the numbers are just bragging rights in a lot of cases but don't actually amount to much

I don't know of any industry standard or even any standard that everyone adheres to, measurement standards in electronics are vague at the best of times, to be fair though to the average Joe the data rate is nowhere near as relevant when judging products as the actual files produced, the numbers are just bragging rights in a lot of cases but don't actually amount to much

I agree with you partially about "average Joe" but more and more people educating themselves by coming out from that "average Joe status" and to be honest even average Joe can read difference between 11Mbps and 16Mbps as KMPlayer shows or Windows properties.
One vendor ( reseller, reviewer etc ) takes one figure ( 11Mbps ) and other vendor shows other figure ( 16Mbps ) , thirds one ( techmoan ) writes 13-14 Mbps, then it will be confusing for everybody, especially for average Joe and of course he buys from vendor that advertising higher value bit-rate thinking that it has product with newer firmware. Hope you see my point.
For the past 3 y I have been "married" to about 65-70 dash cams but this data properties issue is still confuses me.
I guess many other forum readers would also like to know "where is the truth" ;)
I am happy to read any comments on this issue from you or any other wise people, so me ( and others ) can educate themselves.

I think the lines get blurred when some of these cameras use VBR instead of CBR so what do the reviewers post in their reviews, average, best, lowest, add to that the results can vary dependent on hardware revision, firmware version etc and it's not a level playing field, some people get hung up on numbers but they don't always tell the whole story anyway, just having the highest bitrate doesn't automatically equal the best result, best decider is view the raw files, if you're happy with the results is far more important than if some other camera claims some better set of numbers or whatever, all well and good being 'good on paper' but it's real world results that count

I've moved back to the TF2+ and updated the firmware to version V6.6+ CS with the 13mbit bitrate. Will test and upload soon. :) added some new double sided tape from Bunnings.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388145248785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388145248785.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I've moved back to the TF2+ and updated the firmware to version 6 with the 13mbit bitrate. Will test and upload soon. :) added some new double sided tape from Burnings.

13Mbps on TF2+ should give better video result ( less background noise ), more clear picture.

13Mbps on TF2+ should give better video result ( less background noise ), more clear picture.

Yep, keen to see the colour balance changes too. Here is the change log for version V6.6+ CS firmware.

EbBLyspx

PDF: https://db.tt/kOi9n9GE

Last edited:
Back