Thailand Honda vs 2 motorbikes

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
This is in the Udonthani area. The police are looking for the honda driver. I'm not sure what the law is in thailand, but I wonder if the honda driver would be covered if he was using a turn signal?

(Is the shoulder of the road legally considered a traffic lane for motorbikes, with 'right of way'?)

(Is the shoulder of the road legally considered a traffic lane for motorbikes, with 'right of way'?)
Well that's the key thing (and I suspect the answer is no.)
This is what annoys me about 2-wheelers overtaking recklessly on the inside at junctions. (From a driving on the left perspective...) If you are turning left, off of a main road, and you are in the left hand lane, you are NOT changing lanes. NOR are you moving into someone elses path. You are following the correct course of the left turn. You should not need to be checking if some fool is trying to squeeze through a gap that is NOT a lane. It is the person attempting the risky manoeuvre who should have the responsibility to make sure it is safe (and it rarely is.)

So while it's good to check before turning, the person undertaking in this situation should always be held mostly to blame. The practice is inherently unsafe, and it shouldn't be regarded as acceptable behaviour that anyone has a right to do without regard to the risk.

I speak as someone who has made the mistake himself. On a bike, I undertook a line of stationary traffic. It was still not moving at a junction, so I kept going. An Addison Lee minicab (I should have been alerted by that) decided at the last second to floor it and turn left without indicating in advance. I had a badly hurt knee and couldn't walk properly for months. I could have gone for an insurance claim, and would have certainly won. Did I? No. I took responsibility for my error. I was at least 50% to blame, so I took the hit (in every sense.)

You will have to be careful over here then @Rajagra

Bicyclists and 30 km/h mopeds are supposed to keep to the far right of the road, and if you have to make a right turn its you that have to stop for them.
This is bypassed and recommended by many a driving instructor by keeping as far right and so shutting the gap for the cyclists, but i do think thats illegal, and anyway the cyclists then just pass you on the left side and will then be a hazard to people driving in the strait on lane, or they will go onto the sidewalk and drive there.
And though it is illegal to cycle on a sidewalk you still cant run punks over thats doing that so you still have to wait for them braking the law.

I think its sort of a okay rule, i am sitting in my nice car sheltered from the elements, and the cyclists are out there braving the weather and propelling them self with their own muscles, so i can cut them a break and praise myself lucky i am no longer among them.

PS. A few days ago a 85 year old man was run over and killed on Norrobrogade in Copenhagen, the white van that did it did not stop, and i dont think he have been captured yet.
Not sure if it was a right turn accident or the old guy got run over in a zebra crossing, but i know that road in Copenhagen is pretty busy most times of the day.

Last edited:
I disagree strongly with any law that shifts blame from those creating the risk onto the innocent who've done nothing wrong.
But bad laws exist and you have to deal with them.

I put a lot of effort into looking after cyclists/motorcyclists. Until they start acting dangerously and selfishly. Then all favours are out the window. I won't open a gap for such people (but nor will I deliberately close a gap.)
I won't encourage dangerous habits by making them easier to get away with.

When turning left I do now move up against the kerb to stop cyclists from attempting suicide by going on the inside.
Also at zebra crossings I've started doing the same so I can stop them doing something ILLEGAL and dangerous, at least on one side.

Just today on my short trip to the shop i came to a crosswalk where a guy was waiting on his moped to cross the road, what i dont get why not drive 10 M further down the road ( effortless on a moped ) to a place where you can cross the road legally.

Crosswalks here are just for people walking or pulling their bicycle or moped, cant be that hard to figure out.

I am told bicyclists in Copenhagen behave as if they own the town, so i am pretty happy i will never have to drive over there.

I see in Thailand they are driving on the left side of the road. So is the car driver fault.

enjoy,
Mtz

This is in the Udonthani area. The police are looking for the honda driver. I'm not sure what the law is in thailand, but I wonder if the honda driver would be covered if he was using a turn signal?

If he didn't do anything wrong, then why did he run?

That said it seems to me the mopeds would be at fault here.

I can't find online whether motorbikes can legally travel on the shoulder there, but it's common. (Also common they'll be going against traffic on the shoulder)
I kind of doubt it's legal. who knows? (it's thailand)

The real unusual thing about this video is both riders who were hit, wore helmets.

How many helmets do you see on the other motorbikes in the video? :)

It looks like the honda made at least 2 blinks of a turn signal, but not as it was turning.

I'm not sure what the law is in thailand,
hahahah hahhahah :D:D
The law is whoever has the most money or the most important friend in high places wins. But seriously, the reason the guy in the car ran away is it is ALWAYS the cars fault when it comes to cars vs motorbikes. The thinking is the car is bigger so they must yield to the bikes.....I know I know :rolleyes:

Unless of course you are a foreigner, then it is always your fault ;)

Back