The days of saying Sandisk cards aren't suited to dashcams are now over

I've had a few SanDisk ultra cards stop writing on some sectors so idk. Guess their regular cards are so bad they had to make cards that actually work [emoji23]

I never had my 1 sandisk card fail, but i had 1 lexxar and 3 kingston cards fail me and one of those kingstons failed me 2 times.

PS. the failing lexxar was before it ended in my old analog system, and when i got it home it recorded 4 channels 24/7 for a year or so before the DVR died.

Not a big problem i shop memory local, so if they die i use 3 minutes to fill in RMA form, and then stand in line for 5 minutes or so at the B&M store before i leave with a brand new SD card.

The lexxar i dident even have to return, just fill out RMA and then i got new card in the mail 2 days later.

I never even considered Kingston because of their horrible reputation. I've had great experience with SanDisk RMA, just email them, grab a padded envelope from the dollar store and put it in the mail with the bar code thing they email to you.

Then receive the new card in the email the next week.

From my experience I had 2 Sandisk cards failure (and one USB drive) but no issues with Kingstons and Transcend.

So, to sum it up, there is absolutely no consensus on the best brand of SD card.

Yup, its a crap shoot.
Regardless, I have to find a good deal on a dash cam and pull the trigger before I start worrying too much about SD cards. I was hoping to find a great deal on BF but that isn't happening. Cyber Monday?

speaking of, i saw some samsung evo 128GB cards for about $40 recently on amazon. don't know if it's a cyber monday/week whatever sale, but the 64s were only like $13 and 32s were $8 or something crazy like that. and these were all fulfilled by amazon, not just third party sellers.

meanwhile my sandisk heavy duty card is still soldiering on, even though the cam itself is not. i think that overheating it got where the case melted a little bit may have been the first nail in the coffin for this camera. sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it has static in the audio, sometimes it has lock/event files even when there was no g-trigger or button press (no double-beep). but at least the files it records are all fine! :)

Lexar 633x is good but I don't like how many 3rd party sellers there are suddenly. That increases chances of fakes.

602c378b3f602cb9a7fc72895d4d948d.jpg

Transcend for example is sells cards directly to Amazon and then Amazon sells them direct to consumer via prime.
(No 3rd party)

I've noticed that with USB drives the bigger the capacity, the slower the speed. Looking at results of CrystalDiskMark tests can be depressing.
I'd be amazed if microSD cards are any different.
Could some of the problems people are getting with dash cams be related to the fact they need the highest capacity cards - which will be the slowest?

Which camera?

Not sure yet. I'm looking at whatever will excite me over the coming months, or whoever comes out with a well-done discreet multi-cam system with one tucked away head unit (say, a better version of the Panorama X2). I'm guessing your recommendations would be based on chipset, but short of that, what seems to be the generally better/overall/brand-agnostic card if there is such a thing?

Lexar 633x is good but I don't like how many 3rd party sellers there are suddenly. That increases chances of fakes.

602c378b3f602cb9a7fc72895d4d948d.jpg

Transcend for example is sells cards directly to Amazon and then Amazon sells them direct to consumer via prime.
(No 3rd party)

I avoid fakes by buying from authorized resellers only, followed by H2 confirmation tests, followed by a verification call to the manufacturer. I haven't run into any fakes so far. Lexar does seem to have a ton of authorized resellers which could explain the proliferation. From a quick glance at that screenshot, Beach Camera is the only one I'd personally do business with.

Sandisk authorized resellers: https://www.sandisk.com/about/where-to-buy
Lexar authorized resellers: http://www.lexar.com/where?field_re...=All&field_resellertype_value_many_to_one=All

You just need to buy the one that says Amazon.com

I rarely (pretty much never) buy anything from Amazon as they've pissed me off once too many times. The links were just to show the products I'm actually interested in.

I'm guessing your recommendations would be based on chipset, but short of that, what seems to be the generally better/overall/brand-agnostic card if there is such a thing?

Correct, there's no one best model that you should buy, there are ones that should be avoided when used with certain chipsets though

and here's the h2testw from that high endurance card:
Code:
Warning: Only 60873 of 60874 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 21.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 20.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
matches advertised specs nicely - 20mb/sec read AND write. will put it in the cam tonight after formatting as fat32, and hopefully it'll be the last time i put a card in that camera for a while.
over two years later with full-time use in a blacksys cf-100 hardwired for parking mode in a vehicle exposed to Houston heat year round, and this card is still going strong. i'd say the verdict is in, and these cards are for real. read/write speeds are a little different from what they were 2 years ago, but it could be that i'm using a different card reader today than i was then. still almost double the class 10 specs.

sandisk high endurance h2testw 2017-06-28.PNG

I have two 128gb Sandisk cards that I format and use without any problems in my Thinkware F770 2 channel dash cam and yes I get full advantage of the 128gb.
Max.

I have two 128gb Sandisk cards that I format and use without any problems in my Thinkware F770 2 channel dash cam and yes I get full advantage of the 128gb.
Max.
What flavor sandisk cards - High endurance, ultra, extreme, etc? And do your cameras have parking mode enabled?

I've been using 64GB Sandisk high endurance for a few months now - no problems with SG, Garmin, Joovuu X or Mini.

Back