The firmware 119 v2 is not updated.

Never try to update using a PC USB, only use the PC for reading and transferring files. Formatting using the device only and update using a phone charger or similar that has a reliable power supply do not use a power bank as anything that does not supply a GUARNTEED power supply level is asking for problems.

Yeah but that isn't in the instructions provided with the download, so it's going to happen a lot. And I don't think power supply matters as much as it seems to grab the Mass storage boot option. I used a 1A wall plug and had no problems.

Thats the best solution I do it that way myself. The car power supply is OK. My point was you must not re insert the unit in to the PC once the update file as been transferred to the card. It's best with a USB wall Plug or similar as you mention.

Yeah but that isn't in the instructions provided with the download, so it's going to happen a lot. And I don't think power supply matters as much as it seems to grab the Mass storage boot option. I used a 1A wall plug and had no problems.
there are 2 kind of USB cables: "power only (charge cable)" and "power + data".
if you connect a camera to a PC using "power only" cable you'll never get a "Mass Storage" mode from your camera and if USB port from your PC provides at least 1A amperage you'll be able to use your PC as a wall charger and (re)-load the firmware on a camera.
if you connect a camera to a PC using "power + data" cable you may and should get a "Mass Storage" and should not be able to update the firmware.

And if you connect the camera to the PC using the supplied USB cable you get "Mass Storage" so expecting people to go search a forum after buying a brand new camera is frankly insane. No one in their right mind is going to search out a "Power only" cable off the bat. People only search for these things after they run into a problem using the main sites instructions, assuming they don't just return it.

If you are going to have instructions that differ from the ones posted on the site where you get the update, in no way should you be surprised people have problems.

I have been computing for more years than I like to remember. It that time I have acquired many USB cables and most are power/data cables. I only have 1 Power only cable which are like hens teeth. The advise given is that most users will use the supplied cable which is power/data any other info just clouds the issue.

Back