The Police don't always set a good example.

James wildy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took this video a year or two back with a cheap action camera.

There are three lanes onto this roundabout, the two right lanes can be used to turn right, then on exiting the roundabout drivers should 'merge in turn'.

The driver of the police car was held up by a lorry but instead of slowing & waiting he changed lane on the roundabout in front of me. But it's OK he indicated :rolleyes:

Well he was taking the 4th exit from the roundabout so logically he started off in the correct lane. I would say that it's the road markings that are wrong, or at least confusing, particularly for a stranger in the area.

I agree, these 'laned' roundabouts are a nuisance & very confusing particularly for strangers :eek:

In this situation, though, it seems the officer didn't want to slow for the lorry, so he pulled into 'my' lane & forced me to slow down instead :(. Who knows what carnage that caused behind me :rolleyes:. And I don't think indicating necessarily makes it a safe manoeuvre ;).

Actually, I find 'laned' roundabouts really helpful in strange towns - since you can pick your lane early enough & then stay in it. YES, the cop was in the correct lane to begin with - but he shouldn't have cut in like he did, he should have held back to let the lorry go.
Actually, reviewing the video, that cop looks to have left the correct lane & kept tight to the roundabout. He's not in shot at 20s but suddenly appears from nowhere. Taking the exit that he did, he should've been in the lane immediately to the right & so in view of the cam but he only comes into view at 21s & looks like he is changing from lane 3 to lane 2

Last edited:
Actually, reviewing the video, that cop looks to have left the correct lane & kept tight to the roundabout. He's not in shot at 20s but suddenly appears from nowhere. Taking the exit that he did, he should've been in the lane immediately to the right & so in view of the cam but he only comes into view at 21s & looks like he is changing from lane 3 to lane 2

What?

Partway round, that 2nd lane becomes lane 1 for the exit, the 3rd lane becomes lane 2 for the exit and a third lane is created. It looks like the cops carried hugging the middle rather than staying in lane & then cut across lanes at the last minute in order to take the exit.

Thanks for explaining, however I disagree, although OP might be the one to know for sure, IMO the cop is simply in his lane but just out of the view of the camera.
What is the viewing angle on this dash cam? looks very narrow.

You choose your lane heading up to the roundabout and you stick with it till you've exited. The cop should have stayed in his lane until he exited the roundabout, and then the lanes merge into one (clearly visible in the video). In my view he was impatient, he should have slowed for the tanker instead of pulling into my lane. This manoeuvre caused me to brake, and one for which he would have failed a driving test in the UK.

So basically what sludgeguts said.

It's a cheap action camera btw, not a dashcam :)

Last edited:
James wildy, I don't disagree with what you are saying and the fact the cop cut in front of you when he should have stayed in his lane, (I thought that this cops bad move is obvious)
When I said the cop is simply in his lane I meant all the way till the 21 second, then he is obviously braking the rules at 22 seconds...what I said earlier was in replying to sludgeguts.

Actually, reviewing the video, that cop looks to have left the correct lane & kept tight to the roundabout.
This was one of the parts that confused me, I don't think he left his lane at all, till 22 seconds of course....

Ahh, I see, you are right dashy ;). And I think sludgeguts is too, if the camera angle was wide enough, you would see that the cop did keep to his lane, albeit the extreme right of his lane tight to the roundabout, the 'lazy' route!

Back