ThiEye T5e Reviews and Video Footage

Now that the steam was released, can we please return to the thread's topic ?

A test video I just uploaded comparing video quality between three of the best 'budget' action cameras. The 2K GitUp Git2, the 4K ThiEYE T5e and the twice the price 4K Xiaomi yi2. (£200+ not quite budget, but has been well praised.) They all came out well though for me the T5 has the edge. I was genuinely very impressed as soon as I shot the first test clips with this a couple of weeks ago. One of the best cameras I've tested in the last year out of a dozen or two. YouTube never does video quality justice of course and my clips are 1080 @ 60 fps on there.
The T5 and yi2 shoot genuine 4K though only the yi2 is touch screen operation. One of my flying friends said he thought the video quality was as good as his £350 GoPro. The T5 is less than a £100. Battery life of the T5 is around half the yi2 but it comes with two batteries. There are buying links for them and more specs on the videos there. And coupon codes for discounts on the full reviews for each that I've also linked.

A test video I just uploaded comparing video quality between three of the best 'budget' action cameras. The 2K GitUp Git2, the 4K ThiEYE T5e and the twice the price 4K Xiaomi yi2. (£200+ not quite budget, but has been well praised.) They all came out well though for me the T5 has the edge. I was genuinely very impressed as soon as I shot the first test clips with this a couple of weeks ago. One of the best cameras I've tested in the last year out of a dozen or two. YouTube never does video quality justice of course and my clips are 1080 @ 60 fps on there.
The T5 and yi2 shoot genuine 4K though only the yi2 is touch screen operation. One of my flying friends said he thought the video quality was as good as his £350 GoPro. The T5 is less than a £100. Battery life of the T5 is around half the yi2 but it comes with two batteries. There are buying links for them and more specs on the videos there. And coupon codes for discounts on the full reviews for each that I've also linked.

Hi Bob,

Saw the vid on YouTube. ThiEYE T5e results looks great.

One thing stands out, darkish foreground the sky doesn't Whiteout (the ghost blob) in the background like the NT96660 chipset is known for. My biggest problem with surfing vids solved!

Still battling GearBest, may have to just get another one before the sale ends just in case. Pretty impressed with the quality and perfect for my needs.
At least I'll end up with some (pretty expensive) spare parts including waterproof case and 4 batteries!

Thanks. Check the other T5 thread about fw problems though.

No doubt they will resolve it. Small company that tries hard but need to sort out the bloody FW ! https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-thieye-t5e-firmware-update.27909/#post-325870
Nightmare!
BUT actually got a bricked cam fixed by going back from the confusing 170228 f/w using filename firmware.bin (one of the steps changed) and f/w version 170211

Seems factory looks pretty good in that vid and plenty working on the firmware.

The camera I received for review is on TI/UN5 - 170112 - v5.0 and it has been faultless as far as I can see. Where did you find old FW versions please. A friend has bought a T5 and is having lots of problems with it.

Last edited:
Thanks. PS My FW TI/UN5 - 170112 - v5.0 is faultless as in no freezing etc. but, yes, time lapse is not available. In the menu but nothing happens if you click on it :(

The camera I received for review is on TI/UN5 - 170112 - v5.0 and it has been faultless as far as I can see. Where did you find old FW versions please. A friend has bought a T5 and is having lots of problems with it.
Hi Bob,
Timelapse on my TI/UN5 - 170112 -V5 works on 720p30 and 1080p30 but not 720p60 or 1080p60.
Another user here has tested and it seems Timelapse only works on 30p, possibly 25p with PAL which is used in Australia but using NTSC for the options. Takes too long to check options, have scroll DOWN only. It makes sense for Timelapse filming, no need for a higher bitrate.

Thanks Tomu for the different firmware files links. I've returned to TI/UN5 - 170112 - V5 and it has at least improved, but not elimiate, my sound issue. I haven't verified any freeze up problems, haven't seen any yet, but I can confirm Bob and Aussie Kev's timelapse working on 30p.

I had a crash and now f/w 170112 playing up too.

LINK HERE to ThiEYE Firmware Thread please. Keep this for vids.
Agree with TechTronic9000 Gets hard to source f/w issues and solutions as well. :)

Last edited:
ThiEYE T5e late afternoon shadows and dark foreground sunset flare test. Colours and contrast pretty good and dark areas can bee seen.

A short test with 4K footage taken with the ThiEye T5e and using a Feiyu Tech WG gimbal for stabilization.

Test to make t5e FAIL filming during setting sun.. but surprised results were very good. FHD60 EIS ON but rest basically factory default.
This is from my 1st ThiEYE T5e. Bought a 2nd as 1st arrived with broken UP button.

The T5 has very good dynamic range, unexpectedly good for such a cheap camera.

I didn't think the T5e was around long enough for that but after checking, may well be. It's been out a while.
We might be getting "left overs" Same with SJ8000 parts various revision parts and PCB's dated from 2015 to 2016 were used to make Explorer Elites alone (just in a pretty new box minus the status LED's)

Looking at this vid of the ThiEYE company (I've seen tons, go back a few hours later, empty building LOL the Chinese are very got at getting things done quickly) but this actually looks ligit though obviously staged. Cold soldering iron, no cotton gloves etc.
We might be getting "left overs" same with SJ8000 parts various revisions were used to make Elephone Explorer Elites in a pretty new box (minus the status LED's)
This vid give me hope I can tear down without removing LCD screen cover to get at switches! Problem at 10:38 in vid. Look like side mount to PCB :(
Aren't the PCBs susceptible to static electricity? And I didn't see one assembler with a wrist strap! Is this the way "lemons "are made?
inconsistant wearing of hair covering?

Aren't the PCBs susceptible to static electricity? And I didn't see one assembler with a wrist strap! Is this the way "lemons "are made?
inconsistant wearing of hair covering?

the staff were wearing wrist straps, the dope walking around with the camera was hands on though

the staff were wearing wrist straps, the dope walking around with the camera was hands on though
If it is a legit workshop it "should" have anti-static carpet. At Honeywell (and even some sites we visit) we have them. Fine copper fibers embedded in the carper pile sticking up (yes, you sometimes get spiked picking stuff up, hurts) that are usually grounded. Because they are carpet squares, not perfect but do help.
Our wrist straps are connected via a cable to an anti-static sheet also directly grounded (we actually carry a set to sites as well) not just a wrist band. Our work benches are also fully grounded so you can discharge as soon as you touch the bench (and cook everything on the bench)! Nah, that doesn't happen, the massive bench dissipates the charge.
Lack of grounding can cause "walking dead" circuit components where the IC's are partly burnt out (brown out) and work for a while then fail.
The circuit board the guy is fiddling with is probably the broken one I got from GB !!!

The whole floor in the factories are sealed with an anti static finish, they don't do carpet in China

Back