Thieye T5e - serious video image flickering makes the camera useless!

Your welcome. I searched ThiEYE and nothing came up BUT it has a request box where you can suggest why they should stock the product at Sunsky!
Claire phoned and I thought it was a prank call! Tiny, soft woman's voice at 10pm awful connection hard to hear, but good of them to respond at all. Amazing. I sent email apologizing about my reaction and confirmed "her English was very good" because I said "I am speaking English!" misunderstanding her question haha ooops. They emailed back saying "Thanks for kind comments etc"
Their ordering system is very detailed and flexible, you can edit easily too!

GearBest. It's all "copy and paste" answers. They never read your problem properly. I gave order number and full details and they responded "Please supply order number etc" What? I had it all listed in detail in comment above. Hopeless.
Yes, they just throw off, maybe give a few "Wallet" dollars but never a refund that I know of (other than my "lost in post" full refund of a $27 order), hoping you will eventually give up out of frustration.
They once lost a part of my three part order-took more than two months till I had all three!

Your welcome. I searched ThiEYE and nothing came up BUT it has a request box where you can suggest why they should stock the product at Sunsky!
Claire phoned and I thought it was a prank call! Tiny, soft woman's voice at 10pm awful connection hard to hear, but good of them to respond at all. Amazing. I sent email apologizing about my reaction and confirmed "her English was very good" because I said "I am speaking English!" misunderstanding her question haha ooops. They emailed back saying "Thanks for kind comments etc"
Their ordering system is very detailed and flexible, you can edit easily too!

GearBest. It's all "copy and paste" answers. They never read your problem properly. I gave order number and full details and they responded "Please supply order number etc" What? I had it all listed in detail in comment above. Hopeless.
Yes, they just throw off, maybe give a few "Wallet" dollars but never a refund that I know of (other than my "lost in post" full refund of a $27 order), hoping you will eventually give up out of frustration.
Gearbest numbah 10!

Gearbest will work very hard to get out of any type of warranty support

Now explain why they are still advertising here and it better not be about money............. Kick them to the curb

Hi. I'm posting here because I Purchased 3 of these cameras to use in a 360 VR rig. I changed the lenses so the warranty is cactus.
Sadly I have encountered this issue in all three cameras.

From what I can discern this is a H264 Encoding issue. Every 30 frames (the GOP setting are M=1,N=30) there is a artefacting Jump. (a difference in the coding quality)
If you zoom in on the footage at least 400% and step through it every 30 frames you will see the effect.

Tried the latest Firmware to no effect, tried 25fps, this still encodes a GOP sequence of 30 and the effect persists.

Its very poorly done.
Why In all the reviews of this camera has nobody noticed this? It makes the cameras pretty much useless.

I purchased 2 cameras from Gearbest and 1 from eBay, so not in the same batch.
Firmware from ebay was older. Updated to latest.

Is this a firmware Bug?

Going to try the Firmware MODs here.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/modified-firmware-for-thieye-t5e-and-clone.29231/

If anyone is reading this, DO NOT BUY THESE CAMERAS!@ Crap.

Latest firmware TI/UN7-170908-V5.0 (mic version) is now up on http://www.thieye.com/support.html
Not heard of this bug but nothing surprises me. At 60fps I get 59.94 fps reported.
Only system I know of that uses 59.94 fps is PAL-M in Brasil for TV broadcast but as most countries are now using DVB-T or Cable DVB C/C2 I cannot find why the f/w is doing this?

Latest firmware TI/UN7-170908-V5.0 (mic version) is now up on http://www.thieye.com/support.html
Not heard of this bug but nothing surprises me. At 60fps I get 59.94 fps reported.
Only system I know of that uses 59.94 fps is PAL-M in Brasil for TV broadcast but as most countries are now using DVB-T or Cable DVB C/C2 I cannot find why the f/w is doing this?

Re the Framerates, This is one aspect of these cameras I actually like: they stay to spec. In NTSC land 30fps is actually 29.976 which is correct (as per broadcast specs). 59.94 is correct for 60i. (twice 29.976) Note in the real spec 60fps is meant to be (interlaced).
I think with these action cams the specs start to go outside the boundaries of what SMPTE video standards specify. Technically there isn't a progressive 60 - 120 -240 spec (per se) in broadcast. Add to this the limitations inherent in H264 (Levels) encoding and there field is rife for issues.

ThiEye Camera encodes to Level 5,1 AVC which supports Resolutions @ * Up to this framerate.

1,920×1,080@172
2,048×1,536@160
4,096×2,160@60
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

You start to see that some of their resolutions aren't exactly up to snuff with what the format allows. The main number to watch is the Vertical resolution of 2160.

I'm updating the firmware and will run tests re the flickering issue. (crosses fingers)

Interesting T5e is outputting in a proper container format and explains the 59.94 reported in the Codec. 1080i is only for analog TV to allow time for odd and even lines to be scanned, non - interlaced is just fine for digital (progressive scan).
Not idea why setting 50/60Hz, other than line power setting, is even an option, just menu clutter and annoying in post production? PAL/NTSC forcing cam into 50/60fps is surely becoming obsolete, though handy for some countries still using PAL I guess?
Our TV's are FHD 1080i Transmitted and Cable is straight HD or optional FHD if you want to pay extra (yes free TV is better) basically and DVB. Most retain Composite and Component video connection VHS and DVD friendly or HDMI. Some have a handy SP/DIF for the camcorder market if lucky.
Great for watching on TV (just plug in a HDMI cable from cam) but most watching is on a laptop/PC monitor anyway.

Not idea why setting 50/60Hz, other than line power setting, is even an option, just menu clutter and annoying in post production? .

Light Flicker, try recording in 50htz under fluro lights if in the US with 60htz power, you will get lotsa flickering. and vice versa. Interstingly the 50-60 Htz line voltage is why we have NTSC - PAL. It all had to do with studio lights flickering. Wikipedia has a good writeup on it.

With regards to the T5e recording a flickering image, latest Firmware didn't resolve the issue.
Investigating overheating issues. Seems to get worse when the camera is hot.

Tried all other settings with no resolution.

Still interested in trying modded firmware. Will report if I have success.

Light Flicker, try recording in 50htz under fluro lights if in the US with 60htz power, you will get lotsa flickering. and vice versa. Interstingly the 50-60 Htz line voltage is why we have NTSC - PAL. It all had to do with studio lights flickering. Wikipedia has a good writeup on it.

With regards to the T5e recording a flickering image, latest Firmware didn't resolve the issue.
Investigating overheating issues. Seems to get worse when the camera is hot.

Tried all other settings with no resolution.

Still interested in trying modded firmware. Will report if I have success.
Thanks for confirming latest ThiEYE f/w results.
Really strange why 60Hz setting doesn't cause flicker here (50Hz) under fluro lighting? Will try with an old SJCAM NT96650 chipset and compare when I get a chance, not tried with 60hz before. In fact all older cams were set to 50Hz PAL.
If the cam is recording reported as 59.94 fps and the lights are cycling at 50Hz there should be a flicker. Basic maths.

Back