Thinkware F750 front&rear DIY hardwire install in 2011-2017 Ford Explorer

kmarnes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So it's taken a little while mostly piecemeal to get this thing setup properly, with a vacation in between. But first, let me tell you about this dashcam. The Thinkware F750 is a front & rear dashcam setup that has a constant power hookup for parking mode surveillance. It's got a motion sensor inside that will trigger recording in case someone hits you in a parking lot as well as independent motion sensing. Plus of course it captures both simultaneous front and rear recording while you are driving. It also has additional features that do forward collision warning, lane departure, speed limit warnings, red light camera warnings. Depending on which Explorer you get, you won't need those features and can disable them, like I did. While the parking mode is running and feeding off the car battery, there is a setting in the dashcam to have it turn off when the battery reaches a certain voltage.

I had this thing hooked up in my last car, and it worked like a charm, and even caught a car accident that I got into with a 89 year old priest that drove into my lane. Insurance ruled it 50/50, and then I supplied the dashcam footage and they quickly ruled 100% priest's fault. It was a test of the crappy "he-said/she-said" insurance system. And the priest lied, and there were no witnesses because it was a minor accident and nobody bothered to stop! So money well saved because the accident would have resulted in paying a deductible and potential insurance rate increases.

In my last car, I utilized the "add-a-fuse" concept to wire it up. But the location of the Explorer's fuse is very difficult to access. Also the new the 2017 uses new Micro2 & 3 fuses, which no auto parts shop carries yet. Older Explorers will be using the normal Mini fuses, that have easy access parts. I don't know when Micro2 & 3 fuses were added in the Explorer. 2016? 2017?

My brother is an auto mechanic, so he hardwired it for me. He wired it into the driver's side A-pillar. There is a large molex plug, and he tapped into that. Pulling the panels off to access the A-pillar required no tools. After watching him work, it was an excellent install. Except the wire-tap failed. I had to take it apart and wire it more conventionally -- strip the wire, and tap in directly and duct tape it. Happy enough for me. The reason the wire tap failed was because the dash cam wires are just so thin.

Airbags are a concern/risk, and there are cases of airbags deploying while wiring stuff up, so YMMV. I unplugged the molex before playing with the wires, and only connected it after I was done. Did that a few times without anything going awry. Also we used zip ties to wire it up behind the air bag. The molex also clips into the chassis, and you can pull it out to make it easy to work with.

I prepared this picture:
direct wiring copy.jpg

All the dashcam connections were made below the plug. And of course, not all cars are the same, but my loaded 2017 Explorer Sport had a red wire on the bottom that went into the plug and didn't come out the top -- so it's a live accessory wire that doesn't actually connect to anything. Who knows maybe it serves a purpose for a Platinum trim, although apparently this is a pretty common technique for car makers. So we were able to literally just cut the wire and hook the accessory wire directly to it. Platinum has a couple extra features like rain sensing wipers, lane assist, that would go up that way.

The constant power was indeed being used and had a thick blue with red wire underneath and above the plug.

The advantage to doing it this way instead of using fuse tap is that it's a cleaner installation and you don't have to pull as many panels to run the wires. In addition, the A-pillar is easy to access and work with.

And for your entertainment, here's a short video of how easy it is to get through the soft interior:

Basically he ripped out 4 panels with his bare hands, without even thinking. I would have been much more careful, but he was so fast, I only got video of 2 of the 4 panels, and I nearly had a heart attack. My new car wasn't even a week old! He didn't break anything, but did have to use needlenose pliers to reset one of the plastic hook things, so it would clip back in.

Next post, I'll detail how I got the rear dash wired up.

Last edited:
Installing the rear dashcam took me awhile, like solving a puzzle. This time I didn't have my mechanic brother to rip apart panels for me. The key part was figuring out the best way to run the dashcam cable through the rubber coiled tube. Best bet is to follow each step.

panels-off.JPG

Step 2, 3, and 4 were a real pain, like a Jenga problem. The headliner in the rear is very weak and fragile, but it's positioned in such a way that you can't actually pull it right down or get it around the side panels in step 2. The side panels I couldn't actually remove, as they are attached to the seat belt & speaker... though those didn't seem to be the problem. There was something else I couldn't figure out low in the panel that wouldn't unclip without risking breaking something. While I wanted to remove it to pull the the headliner, instead, I just made space so I could pull down the headliner enough so I could work with the rubber coiled tube. I used two tape measures to hold down each side of the headliner.

The rubber coil pulls out from the hatch and the chassis. But the bottom was sealed -- probably heat shrink. I had to cut it off before I could feed the dashcam wire through it. I patiently wiggled and forced it through the other wires inside the coil until I could see it on the other side. Once I saw it, I used needlenose pliers to pull it through. Just be careful not to squish the contact.

rear-dashcam.jpg

To be clear, I wired it along the passenger side to connect to the front dashcam. The pic looks like it's going to the driver's side, but that's just where the hatch to chassis wire tube is. So job done, everything tidy and I'm good to go. Nothing worse than getting nicked in a parking lot and the person takes off. It happened to my wife a couple years ago. No recourse.

Here's some footage. All of it is rear dash footage by coincidence. It records at 720p, while the front is 1080p.

Actual Accident Footage:
Car is actively driving. Insurance ruled me 50/50 fault until I supplied footage, then ruled other driver 100% fault.
This was the same camera installed in my previous car -- a 2007 Honda Civic.

Parking Mode Motion Detection Footage
Car is off and camera is in parking mode.

Parking Mode Incident Detection Footage
Car is off and camera is in parking mode. I closed the car door to replicate a "hit".

I learned a few things today, now that parking mode is properly working. It appears to constantly record to a memory buffer, and when an incident occurs it saves it to the memory car and puts the event in the middle. So it's pretty damn perfect. I can see having way too many false positives on motion detection mode, so I'll probably be turning that off. There are settings for sensitivity for both types, as well as a voltage setting. I set mine to 11.7V (that's when it'll automatically turn off).

voltage setting. I set mine to 11.7V (that's when it'll automatically turn off).

For most cars 11.7V is too low. Recommended voltage cut-off in summer is 11.9-12.0V and winter 12.1-12.2V depending on how cold is winter and how much you driver per day in order to be able to recharge your car battery after parking mode recording.

Thanks, I'm not sure what to set it to exactly. When it was set to the default, 12.2V it was turning off after only 2-3 minutes, and the voice would say "turning off parking mode due to low battery". I assumed if it's a 12V battery, it should be slightly lower. It's a brand new car, less than a month old. I'll up it to 11.9. In fact, let me check it now that it's been sitting for an hour to see if it's still recording.

Update #1: Was still recording, detected 10 motion events and 1 incident (closing the door after entering car). Watched the recording and voltage was bouncing between 11.8 and 11.9. Might be because I spent so much time this morning wiring and testing without driving too much. I'll check it again after I drive it properly. I had set it to 11.9V

Update #2: Was still recording after overnight set to 11.9V. I read this article: https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/ and well that makes a lot of sense. So I've upped mine to 12.2V, back to the default. I'm at work today so I'll see if it's still recording when I go home tonight. Battery should be fully charged now.

Last edited:
I hate to be negative but one of the great advantages of the add-a-circuit method is that they include fuses. As you noted the dashcam wires are thin, so in the event of a fault it takes less current for them to overheat than the rest of the wiring in the vehicle. Hopefully your brother kept the in-line fuseholder that's on one of the wires in the hardwire kit? It's a shame that the other wire isn't similarly protected. Hopefully the risk of a problem is very low - from what we have seen the Thinkware build quality is good.

Back