ThinkWare F750 install

nice, remember to make sure that the cameras fall in to the wiper blade path to help clear the water, I installed the rear camera ever so slightly too high, the wiper blade left its bead of water right in the middle of the display ruining any wet images. So before you clean the windows to install the camera, just make a note of where the wiper lines are :D

ideally id like to have had some kinda hydrophobic sheet applied to the window preventing any water being anywhere near the lens and allowing me to mount it up high on the window,

Thanks! I did make sure that the front wipers covered the area in front of the camera, and I don't have a rear wiper so its a non-issue there. So far pretty happy with the camera and software. Especially nice to be able to connect to the camera via WiFi from my iPhone for live view during setup for positioning, and to download clips. Built-in GPS is nice for simultaneous display of front/rear view and map location plus speed, g-force, etc. Image quality from both cameras is fantastic without motion (i.e., while sitting still) but suffer slightly from compression artifacts with motion. A new firmware just was released which reportedly ups the bitrate a bit, so I'm hoping that will help. Night view is better than the A118 that this replaces. Overall I'd say its a great dash cam and would highly recommend.

Absolutely Afgree, the camera is fine, I have been having issues with the software on the computer for it tho, randomly crashes on my PC, my surface pro 2 wont play the rear stream at all, in either PiP or as the main stream (it does play on another computer and on the surface pro through WMP), the font size is way to small where the files are listed on the bottom right, it would be nice to have both GPS map and the second stream on the screen rather than one or the other, the lists options for the various videos aren't really intuitive (parking, cont, event, man etc), and the "initialise" button on the settings page is actually a reset to default button, one thing I've noticed with the cam is inserting the SD card in to a computer can sometimes lead to it having to be formatted, that was with my own 64GB card tho so I'm going to try the 32GB card it came with and see if I can see it happening with that one.

Oh an whilst they didn't install a really useful web service allowing cross platform support for settings out side of using the app, they have left open the telnet service with the default root password for anyone to play about with.

Last edited:
I've been using the Mac version of the playback software, which does show all three views (front, rear, map) simultaneously. Just downloaded and used the PC version and it is surprisingly different. Pros and cons to both. Strangely the Mac version won't let you resize the whole interface to maximize use of monitor size, but it will let you maximize an individual camera view. Mac version has some cheesy animations for g-force and compass headings that are thankfully absent on the PC version. I do like the Mac's simultaneous triple view, though, and can't understand why that is absent on the PC version.

I haven't had any issues with playback or SD card formatting. I do plan on contacting their tech support for a few questions and I'll post back on their responsiveness.

that was with my own 64GB card tho so I'm going to try the 32GB card it came with and see if I can see it happening with that one.
Do you happen to have a 128GB card? If so, would you be able to check if it works with the F750? I know they officially only support up to 64GB, but I don't see why 128GB wouldn't work.

Do you happen to have a 128GB card? If so, would you be able to check if it works with the F750? I know they officially only support up to 64GB, but I don't see why 128GB wouldn't work.
I don't, but there was a post on Thinkware's site where they basically stated that a 128GB may work but is not guaranteed for any cards other than those supplied with the camera. The limiting factor is the speed of the card - it is being constantly written to with dual 1080p HD streams plus associated meta-data.

Its not as simple as just write speed, I don't have a 128GB SD card but the device supports SDXC I, and uses exfat file system meaning in theory the camera will support SDcards up to 2TB in size.

I did some tests on the thinkware SD card and a slightly unstable 64GB card I have

32GB Thinkware
Code:
CrystalDiskMark 5.0.0 Alpha2 x64 (C) 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    71.666 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :    43.149 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     4.901 MB/s [  1196.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     0.900 MB/s [   219.7 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    85.981 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :    45.508 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     4.885 MB/s [  1192.6 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.847 MB/s [   206.8 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 64.8% (19.3/29.8 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2015/07/17 21:59:03

PNY 64GB
Code:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    74.553 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :    53.507 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     2.715 MB/s [   662.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     0.985 MB/s [   240.5 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    85.772 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :    61.031 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     2.484 MB/s [   606.4 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.921 MB/s [   224.9 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 43.1% (25.6/59.5 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2015/07/17 22:05:08

As you can see the write speed is always faster with the pny, only the random read speed is slower.

The input output operations are significantly lower on the read side but I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue given we are only recording two streams at once and not reading that info on the camera itself

The issue is on SD cards there is a small area of secure storage we don't have access to which can be used to hold software to help speed up the card but could equally be slowing down aspects the camera needs, much like how prefetch works on a windows PC. I've just used SDformatter which should wipe this bit for bit, be interesting if its helped

Edit, formatting mate no significant difference, I will try it in the cam to see if its helped there

Code:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :  71.065 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :  53.156 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :  2.775 MB/s [  677.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :  0.992 MB/s [  242.2 IOPS]
  Sequential Read (T= 1) :  84.710 MB/s
  Sequential Write (T= 1) :  62.494 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :  2.490 MB/s [  607.9 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :  0.933 MB/s [  227.8 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 0.0% (0.0/59.5 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2015/07/18 7:47:11

Last edited:
I don't, but there was a post on Thinkware's site where they basically stated that a 128GB may work but is not guaranteed for any cards other than those supplied with the camera. The limiting factor is the speed of the card - it is being constantly written to with dual 1080p HD streams plus associated meta-data.

Thats very interesting. I emailed Thinkware recently about support for 128GB cards. Has anyone tried a 128GB card which has worked?

it would be nice to have both GPS map and the second stream on the screen rather than one or the other

Here's a view of the Mac interface. It has its own issues (being unable to change to MPH is my biggest gripe) but it does display all three views (front, rear, map) simultaneously:

Thinkware.png

Here's a view of the Mac interface. It has its own issues (being unable to change to MPH is my biggest gripe) but it does display all three views (front, rear, map) simultaneously:

View attachment 15442

Yes, the MPG bug also frustrates me somewhat. I've emailed thinkware support about this - they've said it will be fixed.

I've also noticed that the zoom in controls seems a little buggy. Only once have the scroll bars appeared so that I can adjust the view when zoomed in. I suspect most people haven't used those controls as most times they do nothing at all.

I've also requested a way to export between specific time frames as one video. Seems silly that we have to import into a video editing tool and re-compile the clips as one.

Hi djsteve, are you able to post some sample parking mode videos? Thanks.

Thanks for posting. The 140 degree wide angle has more of a barrel effect than my 129 degree BlackVue. How come the right side looks a bit blurry?

How come the right side looks a bit blurry?

Not sure - could be one of a few things off the top of my head:

1. Smudge on lens
2. Smudge on windshield
3. Imperfection on lens
4. Heat-related lens movement.

Hey Gael,

Any news on your 128GB card? Did it work with the F750?

Graham
Hey, sorry for the delay, it's been a hectic few weeks. I popped the card in, formatted it in the dashcam, and it seems like it's working perfectly. I can't show any video examples yet though.

I added a tint strip to my windshield, and of course right afterwards, had a huge chip which cracked and required a windshield replacement, and the guy was out of tint, so had to wait another week or so to get the tint back on again.

I popped the card in, formatted it in the dashcam, and it seems like it's working perfectly

It will be interesting to see if you are able to use the whole 128GB. A reply from Thinkware on their Facebook page stated that it would only utilize 64GB of the card.

Back