Thinkware U1000 EU 2CH_64GB_H - Vendor suggesting I take the 1CH?

dishdash

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm not really in a hurry with the purchase. I bought a dashcam for my parents, since they're always worried about getting the best deal, I wanted to save them from the hassle of spending 60 hours in the next months worrying about their purchase.

So I've purchased the following device on Amazon for them:
  • Thinkware U1000 EU 2CH_64GB_H Dash Cam, Vorne hinten Kameras
The order date was 31 October and the arrival date whould be venerdì, novembre 12 - mercoledì, novembre 17. However, the vendor sent me this e-mail yesterday late on 2 November.

Good afternoon,
We have received your order. I wanted to inform you that due to the volume of sales, one of the products that Thinkware U1000 EU 2CH_64GB_H is ordering from us is out of stock and we will not be in stock until next week.
We have another option of the same product U1000 1 CH that can be adapted to 2 CH by adding a camera, the concept is separate but the function is the same. Would you like this option for the same price?
I'm not really thrilled about the idea, but what would you guys do? I'm not in a hurry for the delivery of the product. I also don't really understand what he's saying about 1CH and 2CH as I don't know much about dashcams.

I'm not really in a hurry with the purchase. I bought a dashcam for my parents, since they're always worried about getting the best deal, I wanted to save them from the hassle of spending 60 hours in the next months worrying about their purchase.

So I've purchased the following device on Amazon for them:
  • Thinkware U1000 EU 2CH_64GB_H Dash Cam, Vorne hinten Kameras
The order date was 31 October and the arrival date whould be venerdì, novembre 12 - mercoledì, novembre 17. However, the vendor sent me this e-mail yesterday late on 2 November.

I'm not really thrilled about the idea, but what would you guys do? I'm not in a hurry for the delivery of the product. I also don't really understand what he's saying about 1CH and 2CH as I don't know much about dashcams.

I would purchase it if I were you! Reading what they say, they would be selling you a package that can be upgraded from single-channel (front camera) to 2 channel (front and rear camera). That is a better option and gives you more flexibility at a later date.

Are they not saying they will send the 1 channel option and an additional camera to make it 2 channel? Probably needs some more clarification.

I would purchase it if I were you! Reading what they say, they would be selling you a package that can be upgraded from single-channel (front camera) to 2 channel (front and rear camera). That is a better option and gives you more flexibility at a later date.
Can you explain the difference?

If you're not in a hurry, wait until you can get what you want. That lowers any chance of misunderstanding or confusion.

Phil

Are they not saying they will send the 1 channel option and an additional camera to make it 2 channel? Probably needs some more clarification.
Their clarification:
Hello, the only difference is that the U1000 1CH comes in separate boxes for the front and rear cameras. And the model U1000 the set is already all incorporated. But they have the same functions.
I assume the difference is that one needs to be manually configured in the software as an add-on camera.

Their clarification:

I assume the difference is that one needs to be manually configured in the software as an add-on camera.
I would expect it to be plug and play with the front camera switching to 2 channel mode when a rear camera is connected.

1CH = Single channel. i.e. Front camera only
2CH = Dual channel. i.e. Front & rear cameras.

The package you ordered is the 2CH option. This would include the front camera and a rear camera in a single box.

The vendor is offering to sell you the front camera in one box, and the rear camera in another box.

In the end you will have the same setup. Not better or worse.

First of all, be aware that you are NOT ordering the item from AMAZON but from an independent merchant that has contracted with Amazon to sell their merchandise THRU Amazon's platform. I will assume you were already aware of this but if not, it makes a huge difference, and in my 10+ years as an amz customer (purchasing merchandise worth $1,000s USDs), I learned to avoid purchasing from merchants -- especially for expensive items (and the U1000 would be one of them). The reasons I avoid merchants are too numerous to list here and beyond the scope of this response, but ask if interested. (one exception is if the item sold by a merchant is shipped by Amazon, and not by the merchant; this isn't as bad.)

That said, when I have experienced a similar situation as you are now, the bulk of merchants at the AMZ Marketplace I have bought from (again, not many, perhaps 20-30 in 10 yrs) will simply inform me the item is on back order and that will be available in a week. And they will leave it at that. That is, it's extremely rare for a merchant to make me a different offer, especially if the wait is such a short time as a week. This leads me to believe that the merchant appears to feel that it will be to HIS advantage if you accept his offer. I am not the risky type of person and would thus assume that, if what I ordered was something else (which it was) and if I am not in a hurry (which you are not) and if the proposed replacement requires additional work FROM YOU (which it does ["can be adapted to 2CH"]), then I would NOT accept the offer becuase it's not offering me (or my parents in this case) any additional benefits beyond those I would had received from the purchase of the 2CH dash cam and I would just just tell him, "Thanks, but no, thanks; I will wait the additional week."

In addition, what does his "the concept is separate but the function is the same" mean? I don't know about the U1000 but I have a different 2CH dashcam and if I had bought 2 1CH (instead of the 1 2CH I bought) the function would NOT have been the same because, for example, recordings would end up in two different SD cards. This means they would not be synchronized and, so, merging them later would require additional work and equipment. I don't need any more complications in my already complicated life so, no, I would had never consider buying 2 1CH of my dashcam. Additionally, there is, of course, the extra cost of purchasing an extra SD card, which would not be required if you had a single 2CH system.

Back