Adding extra battery pack (with USB) to Thinkware U1000 x iVolt 50 pairing

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this should have been in the Thinkware or BlackVue forums!

I currently have a Thinkware u1000 alongside the iVolt 50 battery. The iVolt is non expandable and doesn't feature a USB output.

I would like to purchase e.g a BlackVue B-124/ultra battery as it features a USB out socket (for MiFi). I want to use both battery packs - would I be able to use something like a B-124 as the main battery for the dash cam (and use the USB for my 4G MIFI module) and the Thinkware iVolt as an expansion?

If so, does the expansion work by re-charging/topping up the main battery?

I asked BlackVue directly but they just said "we can't guarantee the compatibility of the Thinkware battery pack that you have with the B124X battery pack". Not enough for a confirmation for me to spend £300+ on their product.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Ah, I've just realised that Thinkware now make an iVolt Pro, which has USB out and an expansion input too... although pricey @ £350, only available direct from the Thinkware EU website. I'll ask them if the iVolt Mini (BAB-50) can be used as an expansion.

The BlackVue B-124 is ~£300 and is available on Amazon with their 5 month interest free payment... so more tempted by that!

Last edited:
Blackvue B-124X = 6,000mAh / 77Wh battery
Thinkware iVolt Pro (BAB-95) = 7,500mAh / 96Wh battery

Depending on your preference, if you want longer recording time and think it's worth the extra money, I would go for the newer Thinkware. There's also the Blackvue B-130X that has 7,500mAh / 96Wh battery, but not sure how much it cost in UK.

And then there's also Power Core for UK customers, but no USB port unfortunately, though it's a lot more affordable.

Thanks! Will check out Power Core now :)

Will the BlackVue and Thinkware Mini 50 that I already have work OK together with the BlackVue as the main and the Mini as the extra battery, in theory? The connectors are the same, I'm guessing the BlackVue support person just didn't want to say it would work when there's a 0.01% chance it won't (legally, as they haven't tested it), don't want to comment on other manufacturers products.

And then there's also Power Core for UK customers, but no USB port unfortunately, though it's a lot more affordable.

The Power Core 6200LFP has a 5V output, same voltage as USB, for powering 5V accessories like hotspots. AFAICT this can be used simultaneously with the 6200LFP's 12V output.

Will the BlackVue and Thinkware Mini 50 that I already have work OK together with the BlackVue as the main and the Mini as the extra battery, in theory? The connectors are the same, I'm guessing the BlackVue support person just didn't want to say it would work when there's a 0.01% chance it won't (legally, as they haven't tested it), don't want to comment on other manufacturers products.

I'd be amazed if they weren't compatible, given that they have the same OEM: Egen.

Back