This is what happens when the SG overheats...

I've been noticing the same issue with my product as well. I live in South Texas, our average temp has been 101 F. The camera loses focus.
vlcsnap-2016-08-22-16h16m07s366.jpg vlcsnap-2016-08-22-16h16m36s787.jpg vlcsnap-2016-08-22-16h16m57s231.jpg

O yeah. that sucker have been cooked way past soft and even hard boiled.
Looks like the guys will have to get a new camera heading your way.

No dashcam product is Military/NASA heat shield perfect, but we will continue to make all Street Guardian products better and not cheaper when it comes to keeping over all long term stability in multiple environments. When the heat is the worst of the worst (even beyond CMOS rated specs) important thing is focus returns to normal. Many low end products the heat shift focus is a one way process. (perm)

Well, I don't expect them to survive temperatures of 250+. But in hot climates such as Texas/Arizona/SW USA, and I guess Australia, SG should look at stuff that can withstand up to 200 degrees - standard. Cars get very hot in those climates, and it's a PITA to take the thing off and inside each time you park your car. It might be an idea to offer a one-by-one made "Extreme Temps" model.

The other idea might be a micro fan in the unit - that's what I am getting ready to do with mine. I have a 5V micro fan and i'm going to place it inside the unit and see if it helps.

On the other hand, what's the news since you said you were looking into it?

Well, I don't expect them to survive temperatures of 250+. But in hot climates such as Texas/Arizona/SW USA, and I guess Australia, SG should look at stuff that can withstand up to 200 degrees - standard. Cars get very hot in those climates, and it's a PITA to take the thing off and inside each time you park your car. It might be an idea to offer a one-by-one made "Extreme Temps" model.

the CMOS sensor is rated to 60°c stable, 70°c operating temp, as is the processor, until individual components are available that have higher working temps we'll always be limited by the hardware in one way or another

For any device to withstand 200F you'd be looking at hundreds of dollars. At these temperatures, all kinds of thing break down - not just sensor or processor. Even passive components (resistors, capacitors) would have a hard time. You could probably forget about surface mounting - which means much bigger components and camera.
I don't have a problem taking the cam down from the windshield if the mount is designed properly.

For any device to withstand 200F you'd be looking at hundreds of dollars. At these temperatures, all kinds of thing break down - not just sensor or processor. Even passive components (resistors, capacitors) would have a hard time. You could probably forget about surface mounting - which means much bigger components and camera.

that's pretty much it, you want to get into military spec build it's bigger, costs more (a lot more) and doesn't really fit into this space of discreet consumer based products, there are always advances though and things improve with each generation

The other idea might be a micro fan in the unit - that's what I am getting ready to do with mine. I have a 5V micro fan and i'm going to place it inside the unit and see if it helps.
I ended up doing this many years ago when I have a Blackspew camera as it wouldn't stand the heat in Australia, it worked, but you need to turn the microphone off as all the sound it will record is the fan, loudly. I took the light end off and drilled holes in the other end so air would flow through.

Attachments

• IMG_3289aa.jpg
    IMG_3289aa.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3290a.jpg
    IMG_3290a.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 31
The SG has a two-wire microphone inside, so desoldering it, extending the leads and resoldering it outside the case may work to avoid the fan noise.

Hello all! I'm new here. I just got my SG last week to replace my Lukas LK-7900ACE. The Lukas is still good but I've been having blurring issues (chronic on the 7900). Here I am trying to configure my SG and I'm having the same blurring issues on hot summer days.

Summer heat @ 108 F on SG20160809.V2 (non-beta) firmware
SG%20108_zpsqdu59ty1.jpg

Normal Operations on SG20160810T.V2 (beta 26) firmware
Image quality is a little bit improved on this beta firmware. Using Center weight AE
Normal%20Operation_zpsvwj1o77v.jpg

Summer heat @ 95 F on SG20160810T.V2 (beta 26) firmware
After parking on the sun for 20 mins
SG%2095_zpsvettz0lq.jpg

it looks like it's possibly off even on the normal shot there, can you contact @Pier28 with some full size screen shots so we can check it out, it may need to be replaced

Any news from the Lens supplier?

Got my replacement today. Will report soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Same thing happens to me. I thought it was a CPL issue at first, but after owning mine for a few months, I've noticed it still does it even with the CPL removed. I kind of just ignore it now, but it's still bothersome, nonetheless. I think I might have to switch to the A119 for daytime use, and leave the SG9665GC for night time stuff.

Back