Thoughts on camera angle

raqball

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue 750X Plus
I have the Thinkware F800 and today received my Moovika CPL for it. The Angle of my Audi windshield only allows me to rotate the camera at this angle when the CPL is installed. I can adjust it further downward but not any higher upwards due to the added bulk the CPL housing adds to the front of the camera.

Here is the CPL I received (https://dashcambros.com/products/thinkware-f800-f800-pro-front-slip-on-polarizing-filter) The CPL housing, and the added bulk to the camera lens, prevents me from adjusting the camera upwards.

At any rate, what are your thoughts on the angle of the camera in this test video?

Thanks in advance!

You wouldn't want it higher than that anyway
So you think the angle is fine? I ask because when mounting the Thinkware app has a grid and the bottom of the grid (green line I think) says to align that line with the front of the hood. On my car that line is at the back of the hood (close to windshield bottom)..

I mean I think the video looks good to me but wanted expert and other thoughts on the angle.

So you think the angle is fine? I ask because when mounting the Thinkware app has a grid and the bottom of the grid (green line I think) says to align that line with the front of the hood. On my car that line is at the back of the hood (close to windshield bottom)..

I mean I think the video looks good to me but wanted expert and other thoughts on the angle.

their advice on where to adjust it is likely based on getting ADAS functions working as best they can but that's still not accurate anyway, for the primary function of the product (video) aiming it down a bit further gives a better result for picture quality, it won't blow out so easily like it would if you have it aimed further up, I'd say your current adjustment is just about ideal for the best picture results

their advice on where to adjust it is likely based on getting ADAS functions working as best they can but that's still not accurate anyway, for the primary function of the product (video) aiming it down a bit further gives a better result for picture quality, it won't blow out so easily like it would if you have it aimed further up, I'd say your current adjustment is just about ideal for the best picture results
Awesome sauce and thanks! I have the ADAS functions turned off anyways so no worries there. Appreciate the responses and rock on!

I'd say that's near on perfect, if you angle cams too high you get too much light in

I'd say that's near on perfect, if you angle cams too high you get too much light in
Thanks! I previously had it angled up much higher (2 click higher I believe) so maybe the CPL, and not being able to adjust it back to where it was, has saved me from myself! LOL

Thanks! I previously had it angled up much higher (2 click higher I believe) so maybe the CPL, and not being able to adjust it back to where it was, has saved me from myself! LOL

I think so, I noticed when viewing this video it showed your previous video, in stargazing mode :eek:

Yes that is how I had it before. For some reason I was trying to get rid of the hood in the view. Rookie mistake that you all have corrected. I really appreciate the comments and help.

Yes that is how I had it before. For some reason I was trying to get rid of the hood in the view. Rookie mistake that you all have corrected. I really appreciate the comments and help.

yes aside from the white balance issue you can see when there's no hood in the video that it lacks perspective, you don't really know where the end of your car is to know how close other vehicles really are

Hehe the hood allergy that pop up ever so often :)

Some reason why have the hood in the footage, nothing happen there anyway, and that's also true, but just as little worth saving happen in the sky.
But the main reason you would have the camera lower are the light metering, though with modern sensors its not that big of a problem, but aiming that high with cameras in the old days would make the roadway significant darker as the camera would adjusted itself to all the bright sky in the footage.

Other way around aiming the camera low might overexpose the sky, but i would rather have that and well exposed roadway than anything else.

Today in this day and age i recommend setting off with a 50/50 split at the horizon, and then tweak a little up or down if needed.

Personally i find i have the bottom of the windscreen in the footage + 2-3 inches of dashbord, but i have very little hood, but that's due to me driving a little car Americans wouldn't even having their wife drive in ( even if they dont like the wife )
But its all i can afford as i buy 1 car but pay for at least 2 thanks to the Danish taxes.

I crop out the hood if I'm preparing clips for public viewing, with the added bonus that it chops out the date/time/speed/other incriminating evidence :D

yes aside from the white balance issue you can see when there's no hood in the video that it lacks perspective, you don't really know where the end of your car is to know how close other vehicles really are
Which video has a white balance issue? The one where I had it pointed to high? Just curious... Thanks

Which video has a white balance issue? The one where I had it pointed to high? Just curious... Thanks

no not pointing out an issue with your recording, if you aim it too high there will be times when the picture will blow out and the stuff you want to see gets very dark, that's why it needs to be aimed lower than the horizon to reduce that effect

There is a new cop program on the air, mainly focussing on speeders in and around our Capitol.

So there are also footage from their undercover video cars.

BUT ! problem is their video cars have fairly narrow FOV lenses and so they have to take this into account, so this cop are driving towards a intersection that are turning yellow and then red so off course he stop nice and easy, but just as the light turn red a van in the other lane blow by, and you can easy see its under red light from the TV stations gopro cameras.

But the cop have to let the guy go as he dont have the stop line in the footage and i dont even think he have the light of the intersection in the footage either.
I am just wondering why not use the TV stations gopro footage as evidence, on that its clear as daylight.

Gopro footage.

Cop video var "footage"

These guys need to give me a call :giggle:

That angle looks fine. It's generally best to get the horizon in the middle of the frame to minimize distortion of vehicles. Usually the center of the lens is the sharpest too

1/3 to 1/2 'sky' is usually best overall but it's worth experimenting some if you're getting image wash-out. As long as the cam 'sees' what you need it to then all is good :cool:

Phil

Back