Thoughts on SanDisk Ultra?

The PNY cards seem quite good, I've been testing a 128gb card for a while now and it has been doing well so far
Testing in a 'GC' or some other camera?

I've got to admit I have a Sandisk 64GB card that's been in loads of cameras since last April and it's still going so far.

I can't remember who it was who's bought one of the Sandisk White Endurance cards - maybe @Gibson99 or @CheckYourLights?

Most people talk negative about flash cards and sticks and Iv never had one fail.

I permanently and often use a 64 GB flash stick for recording and only use the HDD for TV movies and other stuff.

Make of that last comment as you will..........

Looks like Amazon.com doesn't directly sell the 32GB Transcend card anymore.

Bummer. :(

When I posted those links last night they were valid and the Transcend was sold and fulfilled by Amazon for $12.99. Today the same card is $14.95 sold by a different party but still fulfilled by Amazon. The 64GB version is still available for $24.99 sold by Amazon.(which is a great price!) It looks like the price on that Samsung EVO 32GB has jumped since last night too, up to $14.94 from $12.99. I had noticed those really cheap prices on those cards for weeks so it's just bad timing I guess. That's the nature of the beast with Amazon. I think it probably has to do with today's huge Amazon Prime Day promotional event where they claim, "More Deals Than Black Friday" and I guess they make it up by ditching the good deals they've otherwise been offering elsewhere. I see you can still buy the Kingston Digital 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 sold by Amazon for $14.52 which is the same as it was yesterday. While not quite the same $12.99 bargain, 15 dollars for any of these quality 32GB cards is not a bad price.

What's the 'trick'? I wouldn't mind playing Guinea Pig for a bit. Plus it would give a an excuse to go buy even more 'stuff'. :D

Sandisk cards are not recommended at all

Funny Stuff. That is what was included with the camera we purchased from Street Guardian!
I received the Ultra card too, not even the recommended high endurance Sandisk. Ultra are famous for dash cam failure.
But reading this thread, y'all know this already.

you have dug up a old thread, @TechChris the new sandisk A1 marked cards should be good with any SG camera, the problem cards are the old red & grey cards that have a wierd controller onboard.

The card I received is red & grey however it is marked A1. I now realize this is an old thread, but I still see Sandisk Ultra being condemned on various forums for dash cam use. . .

Last edited:
I think some of their other models are okay too like the black and red with gold writing on it, the problem child was their budget card and its controller.
Lexar was also highly recommended for a while, but after they sold off their memory card division the quality of those have tanked and they are no longer recommended.

The card I received is red & grey however it is marked A1. I now realize this is an old thread, but I still see Sandisk Ultra being condemned on various forums for dash cam use. . .

the A1 cards are fine and are a more recent model, this thread is 3 years old, that's several lifetimes in electronics, things can and do change, the entry level SanDisk Ultra are not good for dashcam use and that still applies, the cards themselves are good quality but the type of controller they use in that model card is not suited for dashcam use

I was not aware that any Sandisk cards other than their high endurance series were ok to use in dashcams. I had been sticking with Transcend cards. So I'm glad I know now that their A1 cards are ok to use as well and have more choices. Was there another thread that mentioned this? I only found out in this thread after I got an email notification today of new replies in it.

FWIW, I've owned three SanDisk Ultra 32GB red and grey cards. I purchased them between 2010 and 2012 long before I ever became aware that they were problematic in dash cameras.
The thing is that all three have performed very well. Two of them abruptly died on me though, but I can't say for sure whether they were manifesting the known issue where they suddenly flip to read only. They simply died and could no longer be read or written to. I couldn't even mount them on my computer for testing. There is a very high likelihood that they simply died of old age with many, many thousands of dash cam recording hours on them.

Here's the interesting part of the story. The third SanDisk Ultra card I own which was purchased back in 2012 is STILL in daily service. After years of using it in several dash cams I took it out of everyday use just in case it might fail on me at a bad moment. Not wanting to waste a perfectly good memory card I started using it for testing purposes with the knowledge that if it should suddenly failed on a test cam it would not be a big problem. So, I spent nearly a year using in a Mobius 2 I was testing for the developer and it performed flawlessly the whole time. Then I started using it in one of my Mobius 1 cameras with a varifocal lens installed and it again performed flawlessly for well over a year. About six months ago, when I started using my varifocal telephoto lens equipped Mobius full time in my truck I decided to stop using the SanDisk card in that camera, again not wanting any unpleasant suprises and so I installed it in one of my side mounted cameras (experimentally) where it is in daily service and still performs perfectly. I keep expecting it to fail at any moment but it just keeps going and going. The whole experience is almost weird at this point! That SanDisk Ultra card has thousands and thousands of hours of recording on it and it has now been in regular dash cam use for over six years! Go figure!

Spoke at length to Sandisk support, they said that the Ultra card is not covered under warranty if used in a Dashcam. Said that only their high-performance model is approved. I'm going to return the cam. I purchased it because it was bundled with a card. Expected a card approved for dash cams and according to Sandisk, this one is not.

Its a matter of liking, use a not approved by manufacturer card, or a more expensive approved card, i think most of use the cards that are not approved by card makers.
The cards SG do bundle have been tested for functionality alone, at least to start with the long run remain to be seen.

Spoke at length to Sandisk support, they said that the Ultra card is not covered under warranty if used in a Dashcam. Said that only their high-performance model is approved. I'm going to return the cam. I purchased it because it was bundled with a card. Expected a card approved for dash cams and according to Sandisk, this one is not.

As I mentioned above, I have a red & grey SanDisk Ultra card that has been in service for over six years. It has thousands and thousands of dash cam hours on it including use in a SG9665GC and is still going strong. Chances are the card you received will last quite a long time even if it should eventually fail on you unexpectedly. With the modest cost of a replacement card these days returning an otherwise excellent and highly reliable camera like the GC would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
Is any SanDisk cards with the A1 on it the recommended card for dash cams? How about the A2 SanDisk cards?
It seems almost every manufacturer of SD cards has reduced prices lately except Transcend, their High Endurance cards are still high priced. Do they know something no one else knows or has greed so stuck in their minds that they are reluctant to let go ?

Back