Time for a new video editor ?

Jokin recommended "Handbrake" to me sometime back, but I never used it. Just another of many choices, but that's a good thing!

Phil

Jokin recommended "Handbrake" to me sometime back, but I never used it. Just another of many choices, but that's a good thing!

Phil

Transcoder - Or re-coder ..
Been using handbrake on and off for a year or so ..
It's good and it's not good ..

Transcoder - Or re-coder ..
Been using handbrake on and off for a year or so ..
It's good and it's not good ..

like everything, none are great at all things so find what works for your task and go with that, I'd tried VSDC previously and found it produced very glitchy video, maybe newer versions have improved, Handbrake was good for certain formats, good for creating video to play on iPhone, I think that's what I most often used to use it for

Downloaded :
Avidemux
Blender
Filmora
Open Shot
Shotcut

I had some time today to play :
Avidemux = Overly simple video editor - Very basic - maybe 20 years behind the times .
Blender - AAAAAAaaaaaargh ! , are you kidding me ? Overly complicated for a video editing tool ..
Open Shot - More like a video editor should be , still a little basic in function , no audio editing ( separating audio from video ) but offers several tracks so probably possible to add a audio track . ( ? )

Been spending a little time with Shotcut ...
Now this be an interesting bit of software .. Has a learning curve , but very interesting ..

what do you think of hitfilm express? i tried it for my last couple of videos, and it's not bad. pretty flexible, and has some nice features built in. i think i like it better than kdenlive.

I have used videopad. It is free for noncommercial use.
The one big problem with it (until you figure it out) is you must drag the video down to the lower part of the screen even though it is already playing and being used.

hitfilm express = Not Downloaded

Currently installed are - Open Shot and ShotCut .
I used videopad exclusively for several years , but my copy is getting dated .

I won't be able to help you with other video editors, but here is how to create a "video in video" effect in VSDC literally in a couple of seconds: video guide. Technically, most non-linear video editors (those having multiple video tracks on a timeline) should be capable of this trick.
@Gorbingtron because here is a dashcam forum the biggest help you can give is if you can create a template for PIP videos needed by 2 channels dashcams. Something like:
Load video 1 (main video)
Load video 2 (secondary video)
and VSDC to create the PIP image preview into the editor. Then the user can adjust the secondary video by position and/or crop.
And if possible, if user like some position and cropping for the secondary video to let him save his PIP template based on your PIP template. Next time when he will want to combine front and rear camera into one video he is just selecting his template and loading both videos.

enjoy,
Mtz

Update - Back to videopad ..
So far these free editors bite hard and simply don't do what I need ..
I will have to try the ones you need to register ..

I haven't gotten any spam from signing up for hit film express, or if I did, the unsubscribe link actually worked to unsubscribe me. And I still like using it. Learning curve wasn't bad at all, but that's probably because I've used several different editors now.

The problem with HitFilm Express is you have to 'share' on social media - if you don't have an account you're SOL. I don't do social media so I guess I'll never see it in action.

The problem with HitFilm Express is you have to 'share' on social media - if you don't have an account you're SOL. I don't do social media so I guess I'll never see it in action.
That must be new, or a broken thing in their site. I don't have any social media accounts either but I had no trouble downloading the installer. I could probably post the installer somewhere for you if you want...

I will be trying to learn an editor shortly, I've downloaded Open Shot (Running Linux Mint), I selected Open Shot because it was recommended by a Internet review which I don't like to do! Anyone care to give their opinion of this program?

That must be new, or a broken thing in their site. I don't have any social media accounts either but I had no trouble downloading the installer. I could probably post the installer somewhere for you if you want...
Thanks, not necessary. I got past the 'share' screen to the point where I have to set up an account before getting the installer.

I will be trying to learn an editor shortly, I've downloaded Open Shot (Running Linux Mint), I selected Open Shot because it was recommended by a Internet review which I don't like to do! Anyone care to give their opinion of this program?
I haven't used open shot but have heard good things about it. When I was using Linux (either kubuntu or mint (non-cinnamon)), I used kdenlive. It can be buggy now and then, especially when moving lot of clips in the timeline at once, but I liked it a lot.

With the recent screw ups by Microsoft with the latest Windows 10 releases, I'm seriously considering going back to Linux. I don't really play games that much anymore so for the rare times I do, the lower performance I get in Linux is ok.

Using videopad and handbrake

Videopad to edit and handbrake to re-code into a smaller file size ...

Go with what you know I guess ...

Is videopad "stupid-friendly"? I got a huge clip saved from yesterday (K2S) but don't have time to learn anything complex to get it posted.

Phil

videopad.jpg

It is as easy to use as any other + more functional ...
All video editors have a learning curve , but so far Videopad does what I need . ( For Free )
The output file size is a little on the large size ..
So I use handbrake to recode into a smaller file ..
Better to use handbrake than let youtube recode it and make it look bad ( video ) .

Pictured is the latest free version .
Try it and if you have any problems , just give a yelp !

Have any of the video editors you've tried have image stabilization?

Back